Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #31
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Does their work have to be at CERN? I heard a fascinating little radio program about a research place called the Diamond Light Source, a UK-based synchrotron which generates high intensity light beams (up to X-Rays) for research projects. A small independent team could certainly do work there.

http://www.diamond.ac.uk/

Obviously, we're talking much lower energies, but...
That's a very good idea. Using the LHC would be cool, but not if I can't make the setup plausible. Hey, maybe I could just invent a nonexistent synchroton somewhere. That way, no one would be able to call me out on details I got wrong...
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #32
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Ugh. I have a really hard time writing stories under 4000. I've only managed it a few times and then only sold...two?
Yeah, I have a harder time writing short, too. It's really difficult to make the reader care at that length; there's no room for world-building and precious little space for characterization.

On the other hand, I've seen authors do amazing stuff with 500 words, so it is possible. For some people, at least.
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #33
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Yeah, I have a harder time writing short, too. It's really difficult to make the reader care at that length; there's no room for world-building and precious little space for characterization.

On the other hand, I've seen authors do amazing stuff with 500 words, so it is possible. For some people, at least.
Very true. But I have to admit that as a reader, I'm also drawn to the longer lengths. I *like* being lost in a different world. That's part of why I read!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Very true. But I have to admit that as a reader, I'm also drawn to the longer lengths. I *like* being lost in a different world. That's part of why I read!
I suspect it's why a lot of people read, which is why novels sell so much better than anthologies.

The longer length is more suited to your writing style, anyway. You do a great job with action sequences and the mechanics of magic-working, and it's hard to set those up without a few thousand words of lead-in.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect it's why a lot of people read, which is why novels sell so much better than anthologies.

The longer length is more suited to your writing style, anyway. You do a great job with action sequences and the mechanics of magic-working, and it's hard to set those up without a few thousand words of lead-in.
Thanks. Although, as you know there's always room for improvement...
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #36
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
@Nancy Fulda

A quite belated "Hi" and "Welcome to MobileRead" from me too!

All the best from the shore of the Baltic Sea.

beachwanderer
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #37
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Thanks, Beachwanderer!

Looks like you're located not too far from me. Believe it or not, I've stood on that beach in your Warnemünde photo album. January of 2000, I think. It was gorgeous.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #38
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I have always been a fan of Sci-Fi

Lets you take a journey to a far away time and place
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #39
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Random coolness: I learned yesterday that my short story "Movement" was used in a Global Literature class at the University of Arlington. I am officially 'literature'.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Random coolness: I learned yesterday that my short story "Movement" was used in a Global Literature class at the University of Arlington. I am officially 'literature'.
... and no-one will ever read your works for pleasure again!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #41
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
*laughing*

I wonder whether the teacher would be shocked if someone told her that story is technically science fiction?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
This is going to ruin her rep. No street cred anymore.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

I'm beginning to suspect that some cosmic force is conspiring to keep me from finishing A New Kind of Sunrise. I had the second half of October blocked off for novel writing, dang it! As soon as I got back from my trip to Frankfurt, I was going to dig straight into the beautiful process of story creation.

But no. Somehow two social events and a child's birthday party have slipped onto the schedule. Also a book edit, several web site updates, and a massive re-organization of the house.

Clearly, the virtual gargoyles I attached to my calendar are not earning their keep.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #44
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

It sounds like Movement may get picked up as course material for another class. I am pleased.

In other news, progress on A New Kind of Sunrise continues to proceed apace. Although it is sooooo tempting to derail the entire plot and send Mikaena off on an excursion across the dark side of the planet...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #45
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
It sounds like Movement may get picked up as course material for another class. I am pleased.

In other news, progress on A New Kind of Sunrise continues to proceed apace. Although it is sooooo tempting to derail the entire plot and send Mikaena off on an excursion across the dark side of the planet...
I read you blog on that story. Very interesting. Your mind is a powerful and mysterious thing.