Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Anyone else read the books he co-authored with his uncle? I just finished The Cobweb which was kind of meh, and I have Interface but haven't started it yet. But it sounds promising. Curious what others think of them.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #32
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Loved Snow Crash, enjoyed The Diamond Age probably better than it deserved, liked Cryptonomicon, but absolutely HATED the Baroque Cycle. Like Stephen King's Dark Tower series, it was an enjoyable read that was absolutely ruined by a lazy, weak ending.
I actually thought pretty much all of the Baroque Cycle -- or at least the first 1 1/2 books I managed to get through -- was lazy and weak. A real letdown after his earlier books. (But then I had the same reaction to Iain Banks's Surface Detail. I mean, not everybody can be David Foster Wallace.)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I actually thought pretty much all of the Baroque Cycle -- or at least the first 1 1/2 books I managed to get through -- was lazy and weak. A real letdown after his earlier books. (But then I had the same reaction to Iain Banks's Surface Detail. I mean, not everybody can be David Foster Wallace.)
I can understand not enjoying the Baroque Cycle (it is not for everyone), but I don't see how you can call it lazy. It was pretty exhaustively researched and intricately constructed.
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Work of genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I actually thought pretty much all of the Baroque Cycle -- or at least the first 1 1/2 books I managed to get through -- was lazy and weak. A real letdown after his earlier books.....
That's crap. It is a very clever work and is anything but lazy and weak.

I can understand it might be too much for a reader with no stamina though.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Loved all his work up to and including Cryptonomicon (including his Bury books)- just couldn't get into Baroque Cycle or Anathem at all.

Have high hopes for Reamde.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #36
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaced View Post
I can understand not enjoying the Baroque Cycle (it is not for everyone), but I don't see how you can call it lazy. It was pretty exhaustively researched and intricately constructed.
This.

I wasn't too keen on the ending - that was the only 'weak' thing about it, IMHO, but it was a very entertaining read and I learned a heck of a lot.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Either that or he meant to spell reamed, for the folks who pay hardcover prices, lol.
Yeah, I think this author is just more and more "caught up in it" -- I get the impression that his popularity has kinda gone to his head and he's trying to be 'literary' moreso than trying to write good books like he used to.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
This.

I wasn't too keen on the ending - that was the only 'weak' thing about it, IMHO, but it was a very entertaining read and I learned a heck of a lot.
The second book was definitely the best, JM2C. I should probably get around to downloading his latest...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Loved Snow Crash, enjoyed The Diamond Age probably better than it deserved, liked Cryptonomicon, but absolutely HATED the Baroque Cycle. Like Stephen King's Dark Tower series, it was an enjoyable read that was absolutely ruined by a lazy, weak ending.

I started Anathem, but one thing that really annoys me is making up words for no good reason, so I didn't even make it through the first chapter.

I'll probably wait to see what the buzz is before I decide whether to read this one. NS books take too much time investment to waste on something as lame as the Baroque Cycle was. That's three weeks of my life I'll never get back.
The Diamond Age is my favorite, followed closely by Snow Crash. I enjoyed the Baroque Cycle but found it a bit long and didn't care for the ending (hours of reading followed by a meh ending really sucks). Anathem was alright, but if you understand the ending it has no surprise to it, and if the ending comes as a surprise then you won't have a clue as to what is going on.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote