Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #31
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
The Kindle is still just $139 in Canada as well (and free shipping).
did not know this. i'll have to take a look and see if the new kindle will be more to my liking. i have nothing against the kobo, it does everything i need but a couple of extra features avail on the kindle make it slightly more desirable.

i went with kobo was because i was able to hold the device and play around with it before purchasing.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #32
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
The Kindle is still just $139 in Canada as well (and free shipping).
Sorry... but that's not the case. I ran the Kindle partway through the checkout process, and it's definitely not free shipping. It's almost $10 for the shipping itself (that's the cheapest "standard shipping"... and there was absolutely no option for free shipping), plus another $17 for "import fees deposit". Not a huge amount, really, but it seems that every time I want a Kindle book, there are geographical restrictions on it, so there is that to consider...

Not to mention that I don't like the idea of Amazon having access to what I highlight in the books I'm reading. I don't like people reading over my shoulder IRL... so why would I like it any more in a digital format?
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I got a charger with my kindle. And Amazon refunded the $16 customs deposit a few months later out of the blue (I didn't complain or anything). So the only extra charge was $9 shipping.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #34
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Did you select "Free super save shipping"?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #35
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I got a charger with my kindle. And Amazon refunded the $16 customs deposit a few months later out of the blue (I didn't complain or anything). So the only extra charge was $9 shipping.
Really? I got the USB cable but not the end piece which is the wall charger. Only US residents get that, according to the order flow. I did get the charger bit with the Kindle 2.

Quote:
This option is NOT available for Canadian residents.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #36
The Branimal
The Branimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen, Asus Nexus 7, LG Nexus 4
I'm a little confused as to why Kobo would want to do a color screen model. I think the selling point is that it's e-ink. If people want to read full color magazine or bright colored children's book, they're better off purchasing a tablet.
The Branimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #37
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Quote:
This option is NOT available for Canadian residents.
When Canadians order from Amazon generally, it's from Amazon.ca and yes, you do get free shipping when your order is above a certain price. The Kindle, however, comes from the Amazon.com site and from the U.S. Free shipping doesn't apply.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #38
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Really? I got the USB cable but not the end piece which is the wall charger. Only US residents get that, according to the order flow. I did get the charger bit with the Kindle 2.
Yep, I got the wall charger bit too. I ordered in November 2010, maybe there was a change to their policy? When did you order yours?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #39
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
I'd be happy if the next edition instituted e-ink Pearl...
I put my wireless Kobo next to a Sony PRS-650 (with the Pearl display, i.e.) in the Sony Store and compared different sizes, fonts, etc. I couldn't see any difference at all in terms of brightness and contrast. The Sony display looked very slightly sharper, but it took close inspection to make this out.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I put my wireless Kobo next to a Sony PRS-650 (with the Pearl display, i.e.) in the Sony Store and compared different sizes, fonts, etc. I couldn't see any difference at all in terms of brightness and contrast. The Sony display looked very slightly sharper, but it took close inspection to make this out.
the wireless kobo made huge strides in screen quality.
i took it to my cousins to show him (he has the aluratek) and he was instantly surprised at how white it looked. i'm sure the pearl is just a tad better but to a regular consumer i doubt they'd notice any difference.

if they made the resolution higher as in the iriver mentioned earlier that could potentially make a big difference, especially on books that include pictures such as decision points.
they're great now but they'd be just that much sharper and possibly pdf's would look slightly better.

as of now though the kobo shows them all great.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #41
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I think the screen is good enough as it is, but the fonts could be improved. I would like to see some more saturation, or at least the option for that.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote