Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It would seem that VGA cable mirroring is now supported with 4.3. Has anyone tested this? That would be a great improvement.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would seem that VGA cable mirroring is now supported with 4.3. Has anyone tested this? That would be a great improvement.
I thought this was only available via the HDMI adapter just released?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I thought this was only available via the HDMI adapter just released?
Not according to the description of accessories for the iPad 2 on the Apple site. This would solve a long standing problem on th original iPad.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not according to the description of accessories for the iPad 2 on the Apple site. This would solve a long standing problem on th original iPad.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
thanks for the link. That is unfortunate. The gist of the thread is that VGA will likely work for mirroring on a iPad 2 but not on an iPad 1.

Dale
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

I never expected complete mirroring to work via VGA adapter and iPad 1, but certain apps are supposed to support it. Penultimate for one claims to support it. I've got iOS 4.3 installed. Penultimate attempts to mirror to the monitor, but it cannot get it correct. Occasionally it displays a partial page, but mostly it just screws up. I tried to get a photo slideshow to display and that didn't work at all. I may not be setting things up correctly, but there isn't any documentation to follow or obvious settings to set. I'm miffed that a $30 VGA adapter that was obviously designed for the iPad 1 does not seem to work as advertised. I had hoped to be able to hook up to a projector for presentation slides, etc. Since this adapter was released before the iPad 2 was even announced I would expect at least some apps to work with it on the iPad 1.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just checked the Penultimate support and apparently iOS 4.3 causes a glitch with VGA mirroring and their app. They had this statement:

Quote:
I am having a problem with the VGA output. It only sorta-works.

There is an issue with some VGA devices that is seen only after upgrading to (the new) iPad software 4.3. We have identified a fix for this, and it will be included in the next app update. If you have an urgent situation in which you need VGA output to work in very near future (e.g. you're giving a big presentation and you rely on Penultimate) send us an email at contact@cocoabox.com and we'll do our best to help you out. Meanwhile, thanks for your patience and we greatly apologize for any inconvenience here.
I wonder if this is why other apps seem to also have a problem on the iPad 1?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just checked the Penultimate support and apparently iOS 4.3 causes a glitch with VGA mirroring and their app. They had this statement:

I wonder if this is why other apps seem to also have a problem on the iPad 1?
I suspect this may be true. Perhaps Apple will see fit to fix this. We can only hope. Breaking everyone's apps is not a good thing.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI: VGA mirroring on iPad 1 running iOS 4.3 works with Youtube app. So there is hope. I assume apps will have to be programmed around the 4.3 problem(s) before they will work.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #40
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Has anyone noticed Safari reloading background tabs more frequently than it did in 4.2?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #41
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
AD4KOOSFRTR76
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
this is true... even though you answer is a tad sarcastic..:
No, it's not true. Operating systems provide functions that apps use. If you improve a function in the OS, then every app that uses that function could see a benefit. Similarly, if you break something in the OS, existing apps can break.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #43
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I don't really notice any performance difference using 4.3 vs 4.2.1.

I still think Safari is slow. Web pages still aren't snappy quick like on my laptop or desktop.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #44
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think mine is running a bit slower with 4.3, and apps keep shutting down. Specifically iBooks, which one would assume to work like gangbusters, since it is Apple also. Or maybe I have too many books in it? Could that be the trouble? It is about 100 books, a dozen or so being pfd.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #45
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think mine is running a bit slower with 4.3, and apps keep shutting down. Specifically iBooks, which one would assume to work like gangbusters, since it is Apple also. Or maybe I have too many books in it? Could that be the trouble? It is about 100 books, a dozen or so being pfd.
DixieGal, there are definitely some instabilities in apps since 4.3 for me as well-in particular iBooks and Pulse Newsreader-both have shut down on me a lot more than under 4.2 (as in, they never shut down on me under 4.2 ). I thought it was my iPad 2, but a quick visit to the Apple Discussions showed me that other people are having issues with 4.3 on other devices too. Hoping 4.3.1 fixes things (it's coming soon).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote