Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Now that I've got a cover for my 350, I find it a bit easier to hold without accidentally touching the screen. Not that it was a big problem before.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #32
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Now that I've got a cover for my 350, I find it a bit easier to hold without accidentally touching the screen. Not that it was a big problem before.
I really want the cover with light, but I'm secretly hoping they will drop the price as well. I just keep it in the cheap sleeve it came in, which keeps dust and scratches off, but doesn't offer much protection. I should just get a neoprene generic sleeve.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #33
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
I use swipe all the time, love it! Also love the swipe and hold for fast forward.
Hold for fast forward!??... Thanks!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The only way I could afford the lighted case was with my Borders discount (I'm an employee) and $10 in Borders Bucks. I'm still waiting for my DecalGirl skin to arrive!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Apologies - I did not think you were being serious yourself as I don't understand how holding a 350 would be any more of an issue than a 300 as they aren't that much different in size? Do you find your fingers brushing your 300 screen now? If so, you might well encounter issues.

I understand that you've seen a slew of messages regarding how sensitive the devices are, which may have given a somewhat exaggerated impression. Having worked with the screen since it came out last autumn, (and admittedly not knowing your exact situation) it's possible your certainty that you couldn't use such a device might be unfounded.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I do play around but unfortunately I was serious about the touching of the screen. Depending on how I'm sitting or lying, I hold the reader on the sides or bottom and the hands and fingers twitch and do touch the screen or sometimes just flip the whole darn thing over and I end up increasing font size or going to the home page. LOL Oh well, we all have to deal with what we have to deal with. I choose to laugh at myself. Life's too short to cry all the time.

But it was/is a genuine concern of mine with regards to the touch screen readers. I have played with them in the stores but it's hard to get a real feel with the units being tethered or anchored to a display stand so I was looking to read how everyday users deal with accidental touching of the screen.

Otherwise everything else looks fabulous about the unit - smaller, lighter in weight, brighter, more memory etc. The price is certainly attractive. An off button for the touch would be awesome but I doubt they'll go that way.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #36
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

I do play around but unfortunately I was serious about the touching of the screen. Depending on how I'm sitting or lying, I hold the reader on the sides or bottom and the hands and fingers twitch and do touch the screen or sometimes just flip the whole darn thing over and I end up increasing font size or going to the home page. LOL Oh well, we all have to deal with what we have to deal with. I choose to laugh at myself. Life's too short to cry all the time.

But it was/is a genuine concern of mine with regards to the touch screen readers. I have played with them in the stores but it's hard to get a real feel with the units being tethered or anchored to a display stand so I was looking to read how everyday users deal with accidental touching of the screen.

Otherwise everything else looks fabulous about the unit - smaller, lighter in weight, brighter, more memory etc. The price is certainly attractive. An off button for the touch would be awesome but I doubt they'll go that way.
I think a case, similar to the official one, might be a wise investment for you.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Well after saying that I never accidentally highlighted a word rather than turn the page, of course it had to happen to me today . I was in a totally different position and holding the reader with my left hand and using my left thumb to flip the pages. Being right-handed, the left thumb apparently doesn't operate as smoothly and sure enough, I more like twitched against the screen once and highlighted a word and had to laugh at myself over it. Plus the right-to-left movement meant starting on text and not in the margin like I do with my right thumb.

But I love how sensitive the touch screen is, even with those once-in-awhile goofs.

But I agree a cover like the official Sony cover might help you out and give you more room, especially if you get the one with the light inside. If you can pick it up locally and be sure you can return it if you hate it, you would have a good 2-4 weeks to test it out then (depending on your store's return policy).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #38
sohanlon07
sohanlon07 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader psr-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
I use swipe all the time, love it! Also love the swipe and hold for fast forward.
Well that explains what I thought was a glitch.

Thanks,
sohanlon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #39
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

I often hold my 650 in my left hand, with all but my thumb behind it, with that finger resting on the page forward button to turn the page. When I do advance by swiping, it's more common that I didn't swipe forcefully enough than that the screen was too sensitive.

Where I will say your condition will be a factor is footnotes: they are tiny and one has to hit them JUST right (with the stylus) to get them to open. You shouldn't have too much trouble with dictionary tapping individual words though.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #40
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've had my Sony350 a few weeks now. I love the touch page turns (yes sometimes I accidentally turn pages but I was doing that with my Kindle3 all the time too, though not with my Nook).

I also have no difficulty holding it, reading & turning pages. It fits my hands perfectly, but I will admit I don''t have the largest hands.

I am using my Sony more than my other readers, but who knows once the honeymoon is over I will use them all equally...maybe...Did I mention I love my Sony350?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote