Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #31
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Them's Fighting words! Says this longtime GNU Emacs fan.
Ibetdragoncantreadthis. lol.

Translation. I bet dragon cant read this.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Ibetdragoncantreadthis. lol.

Translation. I bet dragon cant read this.
Dragon doesn't have to read it, I can do that fine. Dragon only has to understand what I speak, hence the old saying: "Hear Be Dragon"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dragon doesn't have to read it, I can do that fine. Dragon only has to understand what I speak, hence the old saying: "Hear Be Dragon"
Duh me. Forgot Dragon is speech recognition, not tts. vi is still best :P
Old 07-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #34
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Commercial software is developed for (and by) people involved in the processes the software is intended to assist with. Free software is made by people who like cr*p like vi or TeX, and who do not understand how the proper software should work, and why.

You like humor, do you?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #35
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
I see "$", ". 1l ", and "/errmentation". That's at least 3 gross errors on a single page.
Thank you for reading.

I have nothing to hide, nothing to sell. I try to inform and help people make informed choice without being blinded by prejudice. And you know what? Tesseract keeps steadily improving.

Last edited by roger64; 07-07-2021 at 10:50 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #36
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
While I suspect being played for reactions, I would like to add that the advantages of tesseract lie not just in what tesseract does, but what it enables: from such things as gImageReader to possibly more surprising use in software like WordWeb and a myriad other products, many of which you and I will never hear about because they are used only by small businesses or individuals. Some of those products simply wouldn't exist without tesseract, others might continue but in a less useful form.

The same applies to a large number of open-source projects - think database engines and so on. The power (and cost) of the behemoth is not always needed, nor even wanted, for many projects.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #37
Pajamaman
Wizard

I think a problem Linux has is the lack of dumb-user friendliness. For example, the process of installing software seems to me to be is considerably less intuitive than Windows. Windows is double-click and it's done. Linux, not so much. I guess there are simple ways to do it? But I resorted to the command line which will leave the average user glazing over and reaching for money to pay Gates.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #38
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
But I resorted to the command line which will leave the average user glazing over and reaching for money to pay Gates.
The CLI was my friend back when I lived in Linux, and I loved what it empowered me to do. The versatility of keyboard-based gems like GNU Emacs, and even wannabes like vi(m) was and is great. Until one's hands decide that they'd rather not pay full attention to what one's brain asks them to do. When choosing distros to try in VMs, I skipped Arch after reading that its installation was very cli-dependent. Typos in an installation process definitely suboptimal. That's an example of the sort of accesiibility problem Linux has.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nearly all major distros and their Desktop Environments include point & click software installs/upgrades these days.

The amusing thing (to me anyway) is that the notion of software repositories and package management systems that Linux has always used, is becoming quite popular in the world of Windows. The Windows App Store (and its upcoming cli Windows Package Manager) is obviously first and foremost, but things like Chocolatey and NuGet are also becoming quite popular, as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #40
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Commercial software is developed for (and by) people involved in the processes the software is intended to assist with. Free software is made by people who like cr*p like vi or TeX, and who do not understand how the proper software should work, and why.
TeX will always hold a warm spot in my heart. It's a markup not WYSIWYG so these days it no doubt loses points for that but I wouldn't be surprised if there still isn't anything, commercial or free, that's as good as it is for typesetting. And for equations/math it's probably still the best.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #41
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The CLI was my friend back when I lived in Linux, and I loved what it empowered me to do. The versatility of keyboard-based gems like GNU Emacs, and even wannabes like vi(m) was and is great.
I still firmly believe that Linux is the only intelligent choice for servers; for a database, web server, ldap, etc. For the desktop, nah; I'll stick with Windows for all the reasons given above.

And for someone at home you can play with Linux on a Pi Zero W, for $10. (Plus the price of an SD card.) As an experiment I set up HomeAssistant on one to see if it would work without Docker, which it did. (HA is just a big python program.)

Last edited by hobnail; 07-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #42
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

And for someone at home you can play with Linux on a Pi Zero W, for $10.
Plus the cost of the Pi, I assume. My OS is Win 10 Pro, so I have Hyper-V built-in, meaning that I can play with Linux for $10 less than the price you quoted
Old 07-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #43
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Plus the cost of the Pi, I assume.
The Pi Zero W is a complete system. Half a gig of ram and the processor isn't super speedy, but for $10 I find it rather amazing that you can run a full blown Linux on it; same image as for the Pi 4b. (But don't install the desktop environment/x11; no doubt too slow for that. With just the MIT Xorg X11 it might be ok.) After you make the sd card put on the partition named boot a wpa_supplicant.conf file (set up for your wifi) and add an empty file named ssh, then you can ssh into it when you boot it.

Half a gig of ram doesn't sound like much but the best I can remember for ram size for the earliest Unix workstations I had was 4 meg, and this is 500 meg with the Pi Zero W. The very first workstation may have been 1 meg. I remember getting a server that had 64 meg and I was agog at all that memory.

Last edited by hobnail; 07-07-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #44
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
My OS is Win 10 Pro, so I have Hyper-V built-in, meaning that I can play with Linux for $10 less than the price you quoted
I'm a mossback; I don't trust all that newfangled virtual machine smoke and mirrors.

I want my unix on its own machine.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
The very first workstation may have been 1 meg.
Less.

There was a time when the excitement was that workstations with a 1 MHz CPU, 1 MB RAM, and 1 megapixel display would be common soon. Since then memory and CPU speed grew faster than pixel number.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote