Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #31
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have nothing against paper. But I have something like 10 Ikea Billy bookcases around the house, stuffed to the gills and am not looking forward to moving them.
One of my bookshelves (a cheap pasteboard thing at least a few decades old) collapsed from the weight of books. Now I have the contents piled up all over the apartment.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
One of my bookshelves (a cheap pasteboard thing at least a few decades old) collapsed from the weight of books. Now I have the contents piled up all over the apartment.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Ha. I live in constant fear of this happening.

I don't read paper books anymore if I can help it. Not only because it's more inconvenient, I also don't enjoy the feel of paper at all, even when new. The feel and smell of old, second-hand paper books is really awfuI IMO, unless they're in pristine condition.

I do occasionally visit a local bookstore when I happen to pass by. But it's a very rare occasion when I actually buy something.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #34
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would never, never suggest a virtual move to Alberta.

And actually I wouldn’t; tax dodging is not a good thing. But you can see the temptation.
Kobo VIP has a 10% discount to cover the provincial portion. Well, as long as I buy on Kobo and the publisher is actually participating in the program.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #35
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I got tired of packing up and moving paper books every time we moved. Hubby got tired of it, to, because he had to lift the boxes. I still purchase health books mostly in paper, but that's only a couple a year. I also live in the boonies of western Texas and can't always wait to receive a paper book.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #36
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I do miss it, but I couldn't read paper any longer and actually stopped perusing bookstore on a regular basis before buying an ereader in 2010. I continued visiting but only a couple times a year to get the odd hobby magazine or gift book, but my Mom is the only one who still wanted gift books and she is ereader all the way. I am happy to see that local B&N is quite popular - lots of cars in parking lot whenever I drive by. The local used book store parking lot doesn't seem to have anybody at all except on the weekends.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to still go to bookstores after I started eBooks. Then they started looking less and less like bookstores and more like toy and whatever else they could sell, except books stores. I no longer have the desire to browse the stores for their meager stock of books. Instead, I can still browse through my books looking for something that isn't available in and electronic format. All of my bookcases used to be triple stuffed with paper. Now they are all in numbered boxes alphabetically by author with an accompanying master list of all of the books by author and the box number so I can go directly to the correct box. The hard covered books are still on my many bookcases. Now days my wife doesn't make any comments about my buying so many books. I haven't bought paper since I started eReading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #38
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Nope do miss the Used Book Sales! Tho my purse is happy ... I go to those sales come home with couple hundreds of Dollars in Books!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #39
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I still go to bookstores. We have a Books a Million and a used bookstore nearby.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #40
sheri2022
sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Hisense A9
I still go to Barnes and Noble as someone else mentioned it's the only store I go to which isn't a grocery store, I love to wander around and check books, puzzles, Criterion collection, and sometimes I sit and read on my ereader. Do I buy physical books from them? No.
sheri2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #41
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I still go to bookstores. Check out the new releases and whats popular, which is easier in a physical bookstore, rather than trying to wade through all the lists in Amazon.

Then if I find something I am interested in at the bookstore, I'll buy it off Amazon.

FWIW, since buying my Libra 2, I've been comparing book prices between Amazon and Kobo, and Amazon has come in consistently cheaper for every single book I have checked. My recent purchase was a Jack Reacher book which was $4 cheaper at Amazon.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I still go to bookstores. Check out the new releases and whats popular, which is easier in a physical bookstore, rather than trying to wade through all the lists in Amazon.

Then if I find something I am interested in at the bookstore, I'll buy it off Amazon.

FWIW, since buying my Libra 2, I've been comparing book prices between Amazon and Kobo, and Amazon has come in consistently cheaper for every single book I have checked. My recent purchase was a Jack Reacher book which was $4 cheaper at Amazon.
Interesting, I had assumed publishers had this price-matching thing perfected (it’s what they always wanted, isn’t it?).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I don't mind the old book smell -- unless it came from a house that apparently had a chain-smoking incontinent cat.

In some cases, I prefer a battered mass market paperback because 1) it's the only way I'll get an affordable copy of some books and 2) it's often easier to turn the pages once they've been read.
I agree. Used books that came from a smoker's house are terrible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would never, never suggest a virtual move to Alberta.

And actually I wouldn’t; tax dodging is not a good thing. But you can see the temptation.
I have virtually moved to the the UK to be able to buy something not available in the US. But at least I'm buying rather then stealing.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:32 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Interesting, I had assumed publishers had this price-matching thing perfected (it’s what they always wanted, isn’t it?).
I used to do that a lot more then I do now. But I will do so if I am near enough to a bookstore and have the time.