Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #31
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5th
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Amazon and the rest of the world switched to using the TLS protocol (only) during 2016.
There was an update for all Kindles back then, but you must have missed it. Maybe your Kindle was sitting in the closet back then.

Note:
Amazon updated the firmware for TLS support BUT did not update the firmware version number.
So download the 5.4.4.2 firmware version NOW on the Amazon server, and install it over the "old" version of 5.4.4.2
Things should be back to "normal" after that.
Must have missed that update but the Kindle has been used everyday, maybe something corrupted stopped it.
Long ago, I had tried to overwrite with the only 5.4.4.2 version I could find. I just tried that file again with no change in the end result.
The only version I see on the Amazon server is 5.6.1.1. Is there a repository of old firmware where I might find the updated 5.4.4.2 with TLS?
Thanks
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Must have missed that update but the Kindle has been used everyday, maybe something corrupted stopped it.
Long ago, I had tried to overwrite with the only 5.4.4.2 version I could find. I just tried that file again with no change in the end result.
The only version I see on the Amazon server is 5.6.1.1. Is there a repository of old firmware where I might find the updated 5.4.4.2 with TLS?
Thanks
Just change the 5.6.1.1 to 5.4.4.2 in the URL you find for 5.6.1.1 and that is the URL for the 5.4.4.2 version,
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #33
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just change the 5.6.1.1 to 5.4.4.2 in the URL you find for 5.6.1.1 and that is the URL for the 5.4.4.2 version,
Thanks,
Downloaded and tried to do an overwrite of 5.4.4.2. Same result, says connecting to Amazon for about 10 seconds, spinning circle in top left corner, before register your kindle screen comes up then unable to connect after filling account information and tapping Register.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Factory original firmware or just simply factory firmware in this forum has a specific meaning for Kindles. It is the original fw used at the factory. A lot of commands, etc are disabled before the device ships and ends up in customer hands.

A customer opening the box on a brand new Kindle has a Kindle with a customer version fw, rather than factory fw.
Not quite correct. What factory firmware means is the firmware that came installed on the device from the factory so when you do a factory reset, the device ends up with the same firmware it had when it came form the factory. Kobo Readers have the factory firmware on the device so when you do a factory reset, that firmware gets installed.

The factory firmware is not some version firmware with a stuff disabled from the factory. And you really should not try to install a version firmware earlier then whatever it was that the device came with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not quite correct. What factory firmware means is the firmware that came installed on the device from the factory so when you do a factory reset, the device ends up with the same firmware it had when it came form the factory. Kobo Readers have the factory firmware on the device so when you do a factory reset, that firmware gets installed.

The factory firmware is not some version firmware with a stuff disabled from the factory. And you really should not try to install a version firmware earlier then whatever it was that the device came with.
As far as the Kindle Developer's Corner is concerned, factory firmware has a different connotation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The kindle specific portions of your post are simply not correct. The terminology specific to this forum may be sub-optimal, but it is what it is for reasons and your muddying of the water is doing harm.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #37
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Have you confirmed that the system/hwclock date & time on your device are correct? An incorrect time could prevent registration & sync.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The kindle specific portions of your post are simply not correct. The terminology specific to this forum may be sub-optimal, but it is what it is for reasons and your muddying of the water is doing harm.
The term factory firmware has been defined ever since there was such a thing and that was before there were Kindles. That was back in the day of the Sony Reader PRS-505. So please, pick a different term that you can assign the meaning you want instead of trying to correct a term that already have a different meaning that is still in use.

I am correct in terms of what factory firmware means. It's the use of factory firmware for Kindles that's wrong. The meaning of factory firmware is what I said it was, not what's been said in this thread by others.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The term factory firmware has been defined ever since there was such a thing and that was before there were Kindles. That was back in the day of the Sony Reader PRS-505. So please, pick a different term that you can assign the meaning you want instead of trying to correct a term that already have a different meaning that is still in use.

I am correct in terms of what factory firmware means. It's the use of factory firmware for Kindles that's wrong. The meaning of factory firmware is what I said it was, not what's been said in this thread by others.
Another Kindle expert heard from the non-Kindle forum(s).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #40
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
We here distinguish 'factory firmware' from 'initial factory firmware'.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Another Kindle expert heard from the non-Kindle forum(s).
I never claimed to be a Kindle expert. But I know what factory firmware means and it's not what is being bandied around here for Kindles. The term was coined before Kindles existed. And it still means the same as it did back then. That's why I'm chiming in.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #42
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Nothing here to fix. Just discordant notes.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #43
imaddicted2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Have you confirmed that the system/hwclock date & time on your device are correct? An incorrect time could prevent registration & sync.
Time looks OK. I set it to manual, then purposely set it to wrong time. Set it back to auto and it reset to correct time instantly. Tried registration again, still unable to connect. Don't see an option for date in settings.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

In 2106 amazon was nagging me to update my K2 and referred me to this page:
https://www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert
which says 5.6.1.1 is the minimum required for the pw1
Old 12-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #45
imaddicted2u

Quote:
In 2106 amazon was nagging me to update my K2 and referred me to this page:
https://www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert
which says 5.6.1.1 is the minimum required for the pw1
Thanks, It was in 2016 that the kIndle started rebooting trying to install 5.6.1.1 but it wouldn't take it.
I stumbled on to that webpage in my travels trying to fix this issue. This paperwhite has been registered and working with 5.4.4.2 up until a week or so ago when it suddenly dropped out of the account and couldn't be registered again. Seems Amazon may have finally stopped servicing devices with firmware older than 5.6.1.1.
I just noticed today that it doesn't download and try to install the 5.6.1.1 update since it became unregistered.