Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #31
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
What? No Ring of Fire series yet?
The first book, 1632 by Eric Flint is a good read (and probably the entire series for someone more interested in the "history" aspect). Available for free from Baen. The next few are also free.

The historical era is the time of the Thirty years war. Fascinating stuff and Flint is an actual historian (it shows ).
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I recommended The Plot Against America by Philip Roth back on the first page. Amazon and B&N both appear to have it for less than $1 right now. I think it's a good book and a great deal.

Here's the thread where the deal is mentioned. I don't know how long it will last, so grab it quickly.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #33
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Is "Ring of Fire" Alternate History?

I agree the first couple of books in the series are quite good (later books, not so much, IMO). But is the premise of what I call "Connecticut Yankee" books alternate history? While similar to AH, to me it is closer to science fiction in that modern technology and the people who know how to use it are inserted into an earlier era. (time travel)

To me, alternate history hinges the 'what if' to a single point in time. i.e. "What if this particular event turned out differently? The event could be large; "What if the South had won the US Civil War? (50% of all Harry Turtledove books - Joke alert). Or it could be small, "What if Sam Houston's injury received in the war of 1812 was much less serious than it actually was (Eric Flint's Rivers of War - Excellent read).How would people's decisions and subsequent events been different?

What keeps any book of fiction from being dreary is universal, a good plot, a logical universe, well defined characters, and good writing.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #34
wn1ytw
wn1ytw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2, PW3 & KV; Kobo Glo HD
1632 by Eric Flint

someone mentioned 1632 by Eric Flint. It continues with 1633, Ring of Fire,etc.

read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series

I love it!
scott
wn1ytw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not that great with this genre as I immediately start thinking "Steam Punk". However, given that you mention indie authors, I thought I would do a bit of a search for you.

Dawn Crescent - David Dvorkin ("Engaging characters and fast-paced writing make Dawn Crescent a real pleasure!" - Harry Turtledove.)

In 1991, at the beginning of Desert Storm, the defeat of American forces at the battle of Khafji is the signal for a broad and bloodily successful anti-Western uprising. In this alternate history, America faces endless war in the Middle East, a resurgent Soviet Union, and growing tyranny at home.

Budspy - David Dvorkin ("Smart, fast, and mean" - Kirkus. "Involving." - Booklist. "Masterful." - Asimov's. "A well-told tale of crime and conscience." - Indianapolis News)

Decades after defeating the Allies in World War Two, Nazi Germany rules Europe and dominates the world. But there’s rot at the core of the Reich, and an American agent is assigned to help the Germans root it out.

Beneath Gray Skies - Hugh Ashton

Beneath Gray Skies describes a 1920s world that might have been, had the American Civil War never been fought. The new Nazi party in Germany, Confederates, and British and American intelligence services engage in intrigue and treachery, as the giant Bismarck–the largest Zeppelin yet constructed–crosses the Atlantic carrying a priceless gift from the Old World to the New.

I can't really vouch for any of these I'm afraid, but I thought seeing as you specifically mentioned independent authors as a preference I'd try to throw a couple into the mix. I think David Dvorkin might be worth a look if Harry Turtledove himself has given (or sold ) his endorsement.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #36
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...Dawn Crescent - David Dvorkin ("Engaging characters and fast-paced writing make Dawn Crescent a real pleasure!" - Harry Turtledove.)

In 1991, at the beginning of Desert Storm, the defeat of American forces at the battle of Khafji is the signal for a broad and bloodily successful anti-Western uprising. In this alternate history, America faces endless war in the Middle East, a resurgent Soviet Union, and growing tyranny at home.
I haven't read an AH dealing with Desert Storm. Looks pretty good!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #37
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I agree the first couple of books in the series are quite good (later books, not so much, IMO). But is the premise of what I call "Connecticut Yankee" books alternate history? While similar to AH, to me it is closer to science fiction in that modern technology and the people who know how to use it are inserted into an earlier era. (time travel)

To me, alternate history hinges the 'what if' to a single point in time. i.e. "What if this particular event turned out differently? The event could be large; "What if the South had won the US Civil War? (50% of all Harry Turtledove books - Joke alert). Or it could be small, "What if Sam Houston's injury received in the war of 1812 was much less serious than it actually was (Eric Flint's Rivers of War - Excellent read).How would people's decisions and subsequent events been different?

What keeps any book of fiction from being dreary is universal, a good plot, a logical universe, well defined characters, and good writing.
You're quite right, in principle . The problem is that while the Rig of Fire series started out as a displaced in time (which by the way leads to an alternate history whose course is well-documented in the series), most of it devolves (from my pov of course) into a regular alternate history template by the 3rd or 4th book with the "displaced in time" aspect barely recognizable.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #38
Keeblertex
Keeblertex began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and historian William R. Forstchen have written several alternate history books about the civil war and one about the attack on Pearl Harbor. I've only read the one on Pearl Harbor and found it fascinating. I believe they are all available as ebooks as well.
Does anyone know if Gingrich is going to continue the Pacific War series? I just finished Days of Infamy and would like to know how they see the war ending.

+1 on Robert Conroy. He has some fresh scenarios.
Keeblertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:

You would have to completely suspend disbelief for this one. how did the Iraqis prevail-with the help of ASBs?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Just finished reading Michael Flynn's novella " The Forest of Time" , set in an alternate universe where the American Revolution failed. Recommended.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
JuanBatista
Banned
JuanBatista began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know I'm coming really late to this thread, but here goes.

I'm not at all a fan of Turtledove. He's a Byzantine Empire historian writing althistory of the US, and it really shows. He makes mistakes a first year grad student couldn't get away with.

I agree with the Spinrad recommendation. Its very twisted, sometimes horrific, but very well written.

Roth is also a great writer as well.

Mack Reynolds did a book with a time traveling anthropologist who helps Aztecs defeat Cortez simply by providing a few warnings.

And if you're interested in reading history, the What If? series are quite good.
JuanBatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The most fully fleshed out, historically constrained, and logically developed alternate history I've read and enjoyed is definitely the Ring of Fire series from Eric Flint (and others). The first three, 1632, Ring of Fire, and 1633 are available from the Baen Free Library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote