Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #31
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
As suggested by Cecell3000 I only used KoboRoot.tgz to update Aura HD to 3.7.0. It seems to be working all right so far!

PS: 1. Unchecking Show page numbers in the margins is apparently having no effect on header or footer.
2. A new font 'Bitter' has been added.

Last edited by indyglow; 08-27-2014 at 03:17 AM.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #32
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
[brokenrecord]
Have they fixed the line spacing in the Kobo Nickel font?
[/brokenrecord]
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #33
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Sorry I can´t embed this videos :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaN6-QCf9vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqv2GXYtATA

Last edited by ersott; 08-27-2014 at 06:33 AM.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #34
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@sharkus have you got any idea when it will be released in Aus? and the AUD? It seems that a number of other countries have been listed, but I can't find that info for Aus.

It's strange because I got the H2O promo email to my Aus account this morning and whilst the email mentions per-order I don't think there's anywhere on the site that states the AUD.
Hi,
I'll see if I can find out for you. What happens if you go into the devices section of the website, does it display it there at all, price or not?
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #35
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Exactly my feelings, although I do have a Kobo Aura. I'll probably sell that, maybe. I have four ereaders now who knows what I'll do.

I'm not pre ordering though. I'm waiting to see it in WHSmith, or Argos, but I'd prefer WHSmith. Let's see who gets it first.
My money would be on WHSmith.
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #36
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

So, how does the new font stack up? It was absent from the font list in the Goodreader review. From the web, Bitter seems pretty similar to Caecilia, though I couldn't get a direct comparison of the same text.

Robert Sawyer mentions a new, rather nifty way to adjust the light setting. Is there any chance that method will make it to the older Aura HD in any official capacity?

Last edited by Joques; 08-27-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #37
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Hi,
I'll see if I can find out for you. What happens if you go into the devices section of the website, does it display it there at all, price or not?
No, unfortunately the device doesn't show up anywhere on the site. The FAQ only lists the CA US pricing, pre order and release dates.

Thanks for your help.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #38
Joques
Addict

I just installed, for the heck of it. I couldn't find this font "Bitter" that Indyglow mentions,
BUT!

I found two new awesome options in the main menu:
Pinch to adjust font size (promptly un-checked): WOOHOO! I HATE pinch to font size!
And surprisingly: Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness. Very nice to have this officially, and not hacked in. I do prefer to use vanilla FW in my devices.

Edit: Still no fix for the line height in Kobo Nickel.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Joques: I saw your other post first and responded. I'll make the some comment here for others to see:

I would say that nickel is checking if the kernel supports the light and two finger touch. The 3.7.0 package only has kernels for the Aura and Aura H20, so if you installed this on the Glo, it is still using the same kernel as before.

It's a good option, but it will be interesting to see what is in the next firmware for the different devices
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #40
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So the only real difference with the Aura HD is the waterproof certificate right ?
Cause other than that it's pretty much the same as the previous model.
Wonder when color e-ink will kick off...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #41
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
So the only real difference with the Aura HD is the waterproof certificate right ?
wise words mate, companies speak about innovation but then are sheep
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #42
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
I just installed, for the heck of it. I couldn't find this font "Bitter" that Indyglow mentions,
BUT!

I found two new awesome options in the main menu:
Pinch to adjust font size (promptly un-checked): WOOHOO! I HATE pinch to font size!
And surprisingly: Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness. Very nice to have this officially, and not hacked in. I do prefer to use vanilla FW in my devices.

Edit: Still no fix for the line height in Kobo Nickel.
Jocques, did you install to your Aura HD or Aura? Because I'm finding no such changes on the Aura HD and the Aura always had two finger swipe. Which menu is the "main menu"?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #43
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've been considering a larger screened device recently but am not really interested in the waterproof feature. Does anybody know if the screen is IR, capacitive or something else? I really like the look of the Cybook Ocean (larger flat screen, capacitive touch), but who knows if or when it will ever be released for sale.

I love the flat screen of my Aura, but I do crave a whiter screen like the PW2 as well as a larger screen, however I realise that, at the moment, a whiter screen and capacitive touch are probably mutually exclusive. A Kindle is out of the question for me as I really dislike the firmware so maybe the Aura H2O is the best option, at least for now.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #44
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well technically it has the Carta screen which is whiter than the current HD. Obviously not really worth upgrading for. I'm a little disappointed by the move back to infrared but I suppose that means their won't be an extra layer obscuring the screen.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #45
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The specs say it has a power button, but don't mention a light button. I wonder if it is still possible to turn the light completely off?
Correct, just a single power button, no explicit light button. I know that a swipe (cannot recall if it's one or two fingers though) up and down - think on the left hand side of the screen, though could be whole screen - will adjust brightness. Not sure about on / off.
Let me see what I can find out. I've not had any real hands-on with the device (it's not the area I work in here) so sorry for the vague sounding responses.