Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I dislike the odd subgenre, magical realism.
I suppose anything can be done poorly, but for Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the film 'Like Water for Chocolate', magical realism works for me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #32
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I dislike the odd subgenre, magical realism.
You.Are.Not.Alone I literally exist because of Partition, so thought I'd enjoy Midnight's Children, it was nasty and unpleasant and put me off the genre completely.
Advert
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #33
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookideas View Post
Huh. Interesting. Many companies, such as Google and Amazon and many others, offer incentives. It's a common practice when asking someone to give a significant amount of their time to answer questions mostly in the best interest of the business.

https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/5-sur...ponse-rates-2/

Funny that Google and Amazon never asked me to do a survey.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #34
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookideas View Post
Hi all,

I'm an avid reader (mostly Russian classical fiction) as well as aspiring entrepreneur. I'm doing some research to understand what avid book readers, like me, care about most and potentially to create a solution for us all.

If interested, care to share your thoughts using my short 5 minute survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FSLFVJ3

Appreciate hearing from you! Happy reading!
Your question does not make sense. There is no one solution. Everyone have their own individual tastes and opinions.

To everyone else surveymonkey I believe is a safe site. My employer uses them for their internal surveys
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #35
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Funny that Google and Amazon never asked me to do a survey.
I did a survey for Google once, a diary project about Youtube usage. Very professionally done and the incentive of the equivalent of $100US came in very handy at the time. Gutted that they haven't asked me to do another one since
Advert
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Your question does not make sense. There is no one solution. Everyone have their own individual tastes and opinions.
Which of course is why there was a survey instead of a single yes/no question.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide9595 View Post
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo was my favorite this past year...
Did you read the unabridged version? I have been warned about endless, padded chapters about the sewers. Also, which translation did you read? Les Misérables has been on my 'to read' list for years.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Did you read the unabridged version? I have been warned about endless, padded chapters about the sewers. Also, which translation did you read? Les Misérables has been on my 'to read' list for years.
I'd recommend the 2013 translation by Christine Donougher, published by Penguin Classics. Very reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mis%C3%A9ra.../dp/B00AM7E2DW
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd recommend the 2013 translation by Christine Donougher, published by Penguin Classics. Very reasonably priced:

Audible has the unabridged Julie Rose translation. My nephew bought it so he could listen to it for class. 60 hours long.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Audible has the unabridged Julie Rose translation. My nephew bought it so he could listen to it for class. 60 hours long.
Yes, that seems like a good one, too. I'd avoid the older translations (which obviously includes all the public domain versions); they're almost all abridged and/or expurgated.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #41
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
It's probably already been said, but what matters most to me, is peace & quiet.
If it's a good book, then all the rest is taken care of ... presuming of course, that if an ebook, my device batteries are charged sufficiently or the ebook is on one of my other devices where that is so for fall back.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Alas, not so reasonably priced in the US, where it costs five times as much

The two editions I'm looking at are the Penguin Classics (translation by Christine Donougher) and the Signet Classics (translated by Norman MacAfee and Lee Fahnestock). Both are modern, unabridged translations. Both are about $10.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #43
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
@ZodWallop - Have you checked out The Gutenberg Project, they have a few English translations for free?

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/h

This one has Kindle and EPUB versions for download.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/135
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
@ZodWallop - Have you checked out The Gutenberg Project, they have a few English translations for free?

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/h

This one has Kindle and EPUB versions for download.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/135
They really aren't good translations, as I mentioned above. The modern ones are far better.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
^^I think it's always worth paying for a good modern translation of any classic dating back to the nineteenth century and earlier, and the more so the longer or more difficult the book. Dated translations are foolish economies, IMO.

I plan to read this soonish myself. I own the Donougher translation in ebook and the Rose in audio and after having sampled both, I vastly prefer Donougher.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote