Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
kab9
kab9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
$10 is about the maximum I would be willing to pay for an e-book. I am very annoyed if an e-book is priced higher than a p-book. There is no good reason for that!
kab9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #32
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab9 View Post
I am very annoyed if an e-book is priced higher than a p-book. There is no good reason for that!
I heartily agree with this and it guarantees I won't buy the e-book.

It's going to have to be a book I want very badly before I'll spend more the PB costs and frankly, I think e-books should cost significantly less that the PB.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #33
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Up to $10 and never more than a paper version - even a dollar is too much if infected with DRM. If there is a title from the Price-Fixing 5 that I would like to read, I will go to my library; sale lost.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I never pay more than the paper version and never more than $7 or $8 and that's only if I really, really like the author. For unknown authors I won't go past $5.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I do not have set limit or price range.

That said for fiction anything over $10 and I have to think real hard about it and if it's priced more than the paper copy I will not buy it period.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
$5 is my impulse limit. anything over $5 i don't buy it without a good reason.

and to echo what everybody else has said: never ever more expensive than the paperback.

Last edited by notatoad; 09-06-2010 at 01:58 AM.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
my impulse limit is $4. And anything I really want up to $15. would probably still think long and hard about getting it though, or maybe wait for an offer
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #38
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I think I have paid over $10 once for an ebook, it was the latest in a series that had converted with the prior book to hardcover and I already had them all as ebooks and it was for a discussion so I couldn't wait. I wasn't real happy about the situation...

I have only a handful of times paid more for an ebook than a paper book, the worst case was one where Barnes and Noble had shipped the book before the release date and it was all over the discussion boards - people were canceling their orders at Amazon and getting the book from B&N. So Amazon drastically reduced the price of the paper book, it was painful not to cancel the pre-order. The others were also new releases with Agency pricing, which I kinda think is evil.

As a rule, I don't think that ebooks should cost more than the paper book - ever and for all of the reasons people have already stated. I believe they should cost slightly less than the paper version, as I am getting less (no physical copy, no ability to share or sell). I am very comfortable at the $6.29-$6.99 price, but am always looking for a deal or a sale!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #39
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I read mostly fiction and buy it either used or new in mass market paperback. I would never buy an ebook that cost more than the going rate for a mass market paperback.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #40
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I will not pay more than the paper version. I am extremely unlikely to ever pay more than $5 for an ebook (author I know and it is a large book would be exceptions). I'd rather have a way to buy directly from the author so I know they are getting the majority of the funds.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #41
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by notatoad View Post
$5 is my impulse limit. anything over $5 i don't buy it without a good reason.

and to echo what everybody else has said: never ever more expensive than the paperback.
Same here. I won't pay more than $5. I think its totally ridiculous that they charge some e-books more than the paperbacks.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #42
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
in reference to pricing, wasn't it not long ago that publishers increased cover prices because of increased transportation costs? Should ebook prices not reflect a decrease pretty much 2x the increase at the time less any adjustment for inflation? Well, not really, because the "cookie cutter MBA set" does not work via the value of a product only the need to constantly increase quarterly profit growth rate (BTW, that business model is the very definition of inflationary...I don't have the energy to explain why but work it through and it makes sense...if not, cool, we all see things differently).
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #43
GA Russell
Bombers, Lions 0-1
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
This is issue has been asked in the past, and I said $7.99-$8.99.

Since then, I have come to like hardcopies more, so I would say 60% of the least expensive hardcopy version.

I have perhaps 500 free eBooks loaded onto my jetBook Lite, and I am no longer motivated to pay for the enjoyment of using my device.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #44
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I will at most pay 10% of a real books paper cost. So if Its a $10 paper back id be willing to at most spend $1 on the ebook.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #45
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Probably $9.99 (yes, not $10 ) Impulse is under $5, anything under $2 I would readily purchase.

I would never pay more for an ebook than an available pback.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote