Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #31
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post
Yep, given the choice, I'd take the $120 cash vs. $139 credit at amazon.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Now do I have to register this thing?
Besides moral dilemmas, this person is asking the simple question if he/she has to register the kindle in order to use it. I don't own a kindle, so the only advice I can offer is: load a .mobi book and see if you can read the book. As the device is blacklisted, I think you can't read Amazon's books (i.e. DRMed). But there are many other sources of books.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #33
Jim_Howard
Jim_Howard began at the beginning.

Device: none
An interesting question is what recourse one has via Craigs List. One has to provide an email address to join Craigs List, and there are provisions in the signup for telephone verification. So Kermalou may be able to get some help there. And if the seller is a thief, he may not have always been such on Craigs List, and may have forgotten that he had had some legitimate dealings through the site, that would allow Kermalou, with the aid of Amazon and/or the local police department, to track the scumbag down.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #34
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
Buy off of Craig's list to save $10? Seriously? I don't believe the OP.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #35
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ $19 and the waiting time for delivery.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #36
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Scribe
and if the OP is in fact making the whole thing up and he is, in fact the scumbag, just to get info on how to be able to use the device!!! just a thought...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgh View Post
Yeah, talk to amazon about it. I suppose you could report it to the police as well, but I don't see them putting out an APB and deploying the helicopters for $120. Hopefully amazon will do something for you.
Contacting the police is more of a "covering his ass" thing, to avoid any potential charge of "receiving stolen goods" (or whatever the US equivalent is). Best to be on the safe side.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #38
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Contacting the police is more of a "covering his ass" thing, to avoid any potential charge of "receiving stolen goods" (or whatever the US equivalent is). Best to be on the safe side.
Exactly. Maybe police would do something, maybe not, but either way, you're covered.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I supposed it's worth talking to them, if you're really concerned. Seems like a lot of trouble though, going to the police station, waiting with the scum of the earth for service, then filling out a form that'll never even be read for a $120 piece of disposable electronics.

If it were me I would go straight to amazon and offer to return it. They'll either send you a prepaid shipping label or just tell you to keep it.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #40
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I doubt Amazon would reenable it, tell you to keep it or reward you. People would game the system by buying a Kindle, giving it to somebody and then claiming it was stolen so they'd get a replacement or insurance payout whilst the other person then claims they bought it from the thief and wants the reward.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
[COLOR="Red"]
How do you justify this? "Ethically not???
This thread is ridiculous. You are making the OP sound like a terrible person, when in fact he got screwed just like the person who had his Kindle stolen.

First off, buying BNIB items off Craigslist is very very common. It is very believable that he bought it without knowing that it is stolen. Had the price been cheaper, he may have suspected, but at $20 off the retail price, I would think it's a legitimate offer if I didn't know Amazon had such a great return policy. Go browse Craigslist, there are plenty of BNIB items. I put up a whole bunch of BNIB games recently since one of my friends tests games for a company and gets the retail copy free. I've sold gifts, samples, etc. It's just as likely to buy some used iPod that was also stolen.

That being said, ethically he can take the high road and do the perfect thing which is to contact Amazon and try and return it, but I see nothing wrong with keeping it. The way I see it, he got screwed pretty much the same amount as the person who had it stolen as he shelled out $120 for it. He is in almost as bad a position as the person who bought it originally.

The person who stole it has an escape route, he can contact Amazon, blame them for the crappy shipping job and so on, but this guy has no where else to go but to keep it or accept a whopping $120 loss. If he returns it to Amazon, there's really no good that comes of it as Amazon probably compensated the guy who had it stolen in at least one for or another(hence it is blacklisted), the only person who gains from the return is Amazon. He on the other hand loses everything. If he doesn't return it, the guy who had it stolen is sad, but will probably wait for another Kindle to arrive, and the OP will at least keep a semi-working item.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #42
kermalou
kermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have zero pitty for you dude. I suspect you knew it was a shady deal from the start, and if you didn't then you should have. Like the comedian Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid!"

In my state knowingly keeping stolen property is a crime.

I personally think the moderators should ban you from this site!

Well I guess I'm luckily not in Texas= aint I.

Ban me? Lucky me again your not a mod.

Thanks guys.

I am torn but I'm probably just gonna keep the thing and load books on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #43
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Well I guess I'm luckily not in Texas= aint I.

Ban me? Lucky me again your not a mod.

Thanks guys.

I am torn but I'm probably just gonna keep the thing and load books on it.
Fair choice. I'm not a moral zealot like most of the people in the thread but... you already contacted amazon. I count that as a risk. However, if there is a possibility that you can get credit from amazon if you return it, it wouldn't be bad ... seeing that you're prepared to pay for amazon books. And I don't understand... you evidently want to buy books off amazon so you have the money, but you buy some shady thing? I mean... if you go for the mighty pirated books there are better things than the kindle >_>

In any case... good luck, dude!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #44
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
^ $19 and the waiting time for delivery.
Ohhhhh..... well that changes everything. You are right. It was a good deal.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #45
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
If he returns it to Amazon, there's really no good that comes of it as Amazon probably compensated the guy who had it stolen in at least one for or another(hence it is blacklisted), the only person who gains from the return is Amazon.
I don't see Amazon gaining from the return, I see it as property that is (after having reembursed the original buyer) now rightfully the property of Amazon. So it should be given back to them. Keeping it just because Amazon is a company and not an individual does not make it any more rightful in my eyes.
Closed Thread