Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #31
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Thanks -- now let's see I have a rewards certificate for $25 and I just cancelled my extra battery order so that was about $25 (with tax and shipping etc) and if I hit the CoinStar machine I can have more to apply to it -- now off to debate for a few hours.....

I can't tell you how much I love my Kindle version 1- I broke my right arm in November and being able to read with my left hand and only having to move the thumb to turn pages = heaven.

Have to admit I wish they would have given the Original Kindle owners even a tiny decrease in price along with the first to order thing - darned retirement income....
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #32
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have the PSP charger and I haven't even opened it yet (got it in December). I'm always moving my books around though, so it's connected at least once a week. Got the AC charger for vacations and such.
I'm sure if I had a Sony it would spend more time attached to my computer, especially if I were loading RSS feeds every day. Still, I like the option of charging it without, especially on vacation so I'm sure I'd have it just for safety's sake. At home, I do have a server that's always on so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when I'm travelling I only have my laptop and it's usually off most of the time unless it's business travel. With the Kindle, I probably only use the USB once every few weeks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Pshaw, I've been charging my K1 from the PC for ages. Just need the right Palm USB cable. The one with that splits off with a Kindle size tip. 20 minutes everyday and my battery stays completely charged.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #34
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes; now known. The question is how?

Call an expert.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #35
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Text to speech? Its a reader, people! There are already audio books out there.
There are a lot of disabled people who have been clamoring for text-to-speech functionality in the Kindle since it was first released. Not every book released on the Kindle is available as an audio book.

I'm sorry that I keep harping on disability issues on the forum, because I realize that it's probably irritating people, but I am disappointed that a medium with so much potential for accessibility has so few supporters of accessibility.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
There are a lot of disabled people who have been clamoring for text-to-speech functionality in the Kindle since it was first released. Not every book released on the Kindle is available as an audio book.
But is this really an accessible product? There is no brail on the buttons. Does it read the menus to you? I really don't think a blind person could use this device. Also, I thought the blind had access to a large range of books on tape. Certainly not as many print books are out there of course.

Also, there are sevral sources for audibooks like manybooks.net and librovx. I'm just not sure, even for the blind, TTS is going to be an enjoyable way to listed to ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

I'm sorry that I keep harping on disability issues on the forum, because I realize that it's probably irritating people, but I am disappointed that a medium with so much potential for accessibility has so few supporters of accessibility.
Not true. But, tell me truthfully........is this a true advancement for those with serious eye problems? It seems more like a boon for sighted people.

How will they access the device? They still have to use the little joystick to work their way around, and the adjustable font works only in books.....at least in the kindle1.
I once demo'd mine to a sweet little lady who needed a magnifying glass to even see what was written on the keys. She finally gave up in frustration because she couldn't read all the fine print......and working her way around the menu was impossible.

Do you really want to be read to in those two voices they are offering? I don't think they near thought out what they were doing.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I can understand not expanding yet to other countries, but what about folders? That seemed like the biggest gripe. And now they get rid of key features from Kindle 1.
I can't... I can understand them not selling those readers from the international branches of amazon (.de, co.uk, .fr, etc), but why must I have an American creditcard and an American address before I can order it? Just say it has a warranty until the front door and you're done. Why should they care who orders it from where?

Quote:

I'd say if they'd make it truly available for disabled people, they'd have made a keyboard that could have been plugged in instead of those small buttons underneath. And then create several sizes of keyboards. And about text-to-speech, I've never been impressed by that. I'd rather listen to real audio books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
but why must I have an American creditcard and an American address before I can order it? Just say it has a warranty until the front door and you're done. Why should they care who orders it from where?
By doing this they only need to have the US rights to an ebook to make it available. Amazon can reasonably say that they only ship the device to the US and they also take measures to restrict ebook sales to US customers. Independent ebook sellers get away with using less stringent measures (e.g. they just ask you where you live, and everyone lies if they want the US-only ebooks), but at least one publisher has suspended ebook sales to force more compliance. The entire "regional" rights system is broken for ebooks, but Amazon did not break it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote