Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
@DiapDealer -- all the touch competitors have already done something (GUI) on their 6" screens that doesn't look too bad. I am afraid the DOS days of lines of text is just a little behind the times; particularly for a touch interface.
Having used readers which only identified books by their cover image, a list of book titles is 1000x easier to navigate and use, IMHO. Usability is far more important than "prettiness".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The option to be able to choose your preference between a list of titles and the book covers would be nice.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
The dictionary needs to be fixed and landscape mode, other than that I'm fearly happy.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
The dictionary needs to be fixed and landscape mode, other than that I'm fearly happy.
Is the dictionary broken? I've used it a lot, with no problems at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is the dictionary broken? I've used it a lot, with no problems at all.
Its not broken, its just that it dosn't activate on other languages other than English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese. On my K-DX I do not have this problem.
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. I've not tried using it with languages other than English.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Of late, I'm particularly annoyed by the lack of efficient navigation of scrolling pages (Kindle Store, web browser). Swipe only scrolls about half a page, whereas with any of the button Kindles you can use the page turn buttons to page up/down with just a little overlap (like using page up/down keys with a computer browser). This makes it hard to read to the end of the page and then find where to pick up reading somewhere in the middle after a partial scroll. Not to mention one is swiping twice as much as necessary.

Ideally you could have finer-grained control over the amount of the scroll (most touch screens pay attention to velocity and distance; KT does not). But at the very least they need to enable some gesture for a full page scroll, either via tap zones, or by differentiating horizontal/vertical swipes so that one or the other or both maps to PageUp/PageDown.

I sent this feedback to kindle-feedback. You are welcome to join the campaign. <g>
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #38
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Of late, I'm particularly annoyed by the lack of efficient navigation of scrolling pages (Kindle Store, web browser). Swipe only scrolls about half a page...
I find that the length of the swipe affects this. A short swipe moves about half the page, but a swipe up the full screen moves the whole page for me.
A way to automatically scroll a full page might be helpful, though.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
I find that the length of the swipe affects this. A short swipe moves about half the page, but a swipe up the full screen moves the whole page for me.
A way to automatically scroll a full page might be helpful, though.
I thought I've seen that in the past, but if so, it was never consistent, and today I have not seen it happen once, after many attempts: the length of the swipe does not seem to change anything.

In any case, I consider it broken.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #40
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
Its not broken, its just that it dosn't activate on other languages other than English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese. On my K-DX I do not have this problem.
It will work but they changed how it works. The language of the book and the language setting of the dictionary have to match. Unfortunately, most old dictionaries are set to English in their coding despite the language that they are actually in. This means that a spanish book will not see an english coded Spanish dictionary and reports that there is no dictionary on the device for the language. Its a mess.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #41
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expect a number of book covers use a color selection such that if you grayscaled it, the title and author would be hard to read, as might would blend into background art.

Moreover, in a decently sized list, I think one can locate an item more easily if all of the text is presented in a consistent font and location--i.e., if we have a text list rather than a gallery of book covers.

Plus, with a book cover display, all the books that don't have covers--e.g., much of the public domain material from Project Gutenberg--will stand out like a sore thumb.

That said, I generally bewail the use of icons, being an old-fashioned PalmOS user, and thinking that the PalmOS UI guidelines of using text buttons in place of icons for clarity got it generally right for mobile devices. :-)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
Koko
thinking thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
It will work but they changed how it works. The language of the book and the language setting of the dictionary have to match. Unfortunately, most old dictionaries are set to English in their coding despite the language that they are actually in. This means that a spanish book will not see an english coded Spanish dictionary and reports that there is no dictionary on the device for the language. Its a mess.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But according to the tests I have made, when the language is other than English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese the dictionary does not work even if the language and book language tag is the same.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I forgot one other thing they need to fix: if you have a linked Audible account, audiobooks show up in Archived items. It is extremely easy to tap one of those accidentally, and initiate download. Some audiobooks are more than a gigabyte, downloading may take hours. They need to add a 'confirm' dialog, or provide a way to cancel the download. This is also possible on K3 but with the 5way the potential for 'accidents' is much less.

(If this happens to you, do a system restart. That seems to do the trick.)

I would not mind if they had a preference to disable audiobook download entirely.

While they are at it, they should change the download format for Kindle to '4', which would save nearly 50% storage and bandwidth over 'enhanced'. I've never understood their decision to use enhanced, given Kindle's relatively paltry and unexpandable storage, not to mention lack of audio quality.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #44
Koko
thinking thing

I would like choose which books that should be indexed.
All fiction literature could have indexing off by default, and all technical type of literature could have indexing on by default. The default state could be specified in the file format.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #45
JessicaBurgman
JessicaBurgman began at the beginning.

Device: none
My number one feature request would have to be landscape viewing of books/images/pdfs.

Second, being able to view actual/full size images/pdfs while still being able to move the pdfs/image around, then pressing either side to move the page, keeping the set size. Then again, i like my manga.
JessicaBurgman is offline   Reply With Quote