Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post

As far as I know, Amazon ONLY charges for EMAILING OF BOOKS WIRELESSLY VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS. This is done whether or not the books are converted, and done based on the size of the initial file sent to Amazon, not the converted file sent to the Kindle. (Which is actually lame since the charge is supposed to be based on WhisperNet usage, but whatever.)
That's what I was saying or trying to. Non-Amazon content sent to the Kindle via Whispernet email will be charged. I was thinking email because that's how I get content on my Kindle when not using USB but I can see I should have made that more clear.

I was not sending a book when I was playing with Calibre, it was an RSS feed test newspaper (which was already in mobi format), using the email to Kindle feature.

Quote:
As far as I know, Amazon DOES NOT CHARGE for any other wireless transaction. This includes not only books bought from the Amazon store, but also web browsing, AND BOOKS DOWNLOADED VIA THE WEB. So no, I do NOT believe you get charged if you download a book *directly* via the Feedbooks or Mobileread catalogs. The charge only occurs when the email transaction is involved.
I didn't think about this part so I did not address it. Amazon doesn't mention that aspect in their announcement either. I haven't tried it but I would not be surprised if there was a charge. I'll leave that to Pshrynk or someone else to try.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'd do it but don't have my Kindle........its in Ohio.

All someone has to do is download a book from the mobileread or feedbooks catalog that is on their Kindle, to their Kindle using whispernet.

This will let us know for sure if amazon has changed their policys.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'd do it but don't have my Kindle........its in Ohio.

All someone has to do is download a book from the mobileread or feedbooks catalog that is on their Kindle, to their Kindle using whispernet.

This will let us know for sure if amazon has changed their policys.
How long is your Kindle going to be in Ohio?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
How long is your Kindle going to be in Ohio?
'sniff. I don't know!!! I shipped it to my DIL so that she could play with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Do I need to loan you my K1?
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Do I need to loan you my K1?
Nah, but thanks for the offer.........I'm going to be so busy with my new ASUS 1000HE
learning the ins and outs, putting Calibre and all the books on it......and generally playing with it I"ll just wait.

Don't think it will be too long. I got the distinct impression she wasn't really impressed with my book tastes.

I did tell her if she wanted, she could download "a couple" of books with the whispernet to see how easily that part worked.

Keeping a close eye on my kindle page........
Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #37
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Correct. I don't have a problem with the charge but I do have a problem with multiple small hits to my credit card. I was charged 15 cents immediately instead of the old policy of accumulating $3 (which never happened) in charges before hitting the card.
AFAIK, the credit card companies all charge a fee per transaction (ie, 30 cents) plus a small percentage of the sales price. Amazon may be big enough to force a special deal from the credit card companies, but unless they have such a deal, then these micropayments are costing them more money than they collect. If so, I assume that this is more about shaping consumer behavior than it is about making money.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #38
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Well, if you do need a loaner, I've got all three of my K1s at home right now, so I could bubble wrap one and send it out to you.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #39
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Amazon doesn't mention that aspect in their announcement either. I haven't tried it but I would not be surprised if there was a charge. I'll leave that to Pshrynk or someone else to try.
I would be surprised because it's impossible to tell if data streaming in from the web browser is "web stuff" (free) or "omg a book" (let's charge 'em). Theoretically you could charge for any file download, but again there's no indication of that.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, if you do need a loaner, I've got all three of my K1s at home right now, so I could bubble wrap one and send it out to you.
You and Daffy are unbelievably generous, and I thank you.

I'll be fine..........however, stand by for questions when I get the netbook?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
AFAIK, the credit card companies all charge a fee per transaction (ie, 30 cents) plus a small percentage of the sales price.
That's how it works for a small business, but if you're a bigger customer it's a monthly flat fee for the merchant account, and then a straight percentage charge per transaction. ie no "per transaction" fee. Hence, small charges do work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #42
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Nah, but thanks for the offer.........I'm going to be so busy with my new ASUS 1000HE
learning the ins and outs, putting Calibre and all the books on it......and generally playing with it I"ll just wait.
Desertgrandma, did you get a portable cd/dvd drive? We bought a Wind, and some of the software wasn't loaded correctly. My husband, the computer executive was going to run out to Micro Center and buy one. I suggested he put it on a thumb drive and load it that way. Worked like a charm.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Desertgrandma, did you get a portable cd/dvd drive? We bought a Wind, and some of the software wasn't loaded correctly. My husband, the computer executive was going to run out to Micro Center and buy one. I suggested he put it on a thumb drive and load it that way. Worked like a charm.
Thanks for the hint! Even if you aren't a "computer executive".........
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #44
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Getting back on track -- I think some people are perhaps missing a small point. Amazon never said they'd provide free Whispernet. For a long time, they have provided free Whispernet delivery of purchased books and free Whispernet delivery of blogs and newspapers just as they advertise with said content. And I swear I saw somewhere that browsing their store and making purchases via Whispernet is also free. As has also been noted in this thread, Amazon has always said they would charge a small fee for wireless delivery of converted documents, though they didn't execute on this until recently.

I tried the wireless document conversion once, just to try it. (It was a PDF and it came out horrible on my K2.) From henceforth, though, it'll either be sent to my @free.kindle.com address, or will land on my KDX. (can't wait...)

As for web browsing, it is a stated experimental feature, which means it can and will change, right?
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #45
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
Getting back on track -- I think some people are perhaps missing a small point. Amazon never said they'd provide free Whispernet. For a long time, they have provided free Whispernet delivery of purchased books and free Whispernet delivery of blogs and newspapers just as they advertise with said content. And I swear I saw somewhere that browsing their store and making purchases via Whispernet is also free. As has also been noted in this thread, Amazon has always said they would charge a small fee for wireless delivery of converted documents, though they didn't execute on this until recently.

I tried the wireless document conversion once, just to try it. (It was a PDF and it came out horrible on my K2.) From henceforth, though, it'll either be sent to my @free.kindle.com address, or will land on my KDX. (can't wait...)

As for web browsing, it is a stated experimental feature, which means it can and will change, right?
That's the point I'm making. They were not charging forever, even though thye said they would and are now charging (After saying they were going to).
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote