One to Ten 18 18.56%
Eleven to twenty-five 13 13.40%
Twenty-six to a hundred 31 31.96%
Over one hundred 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #31
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Who's counting. I spend my time reading.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #32
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I keep promising myself to keep notes on my readings -- who I am reading -- which book -- what were my feelings about it. Years ago I read a lot of sf. I would write notes inside the front cover and then give the book to a friend. Usually I got a book in return. But it is like taking notes on what I eat. I am much too appetitive and much too eager to get to the next experience to stop and reflect. Not very mindful, huh?

Last edited by mogui; 10-09-2008 at 04:40 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I have about 2,800 ebooks on my PalmOS PDA. I've read hundreds of them, but haven't actually been counting.

In my case, I grab HTML content from Project Gutenberg, the Baen Free Library, and elsewhere, and convert to content viewable with the Plucker offline HTML viewer for PalmOS.

I have eReader, MobiReader, a PDF viewer, and several Palm "doc" viewers installed as well for content not available in HTML, but Plucker is the main viewer and ebook reading is the single biggest use of my device.

I have several thousand "dead tree" editions as well, and have bought paper editions of books I discovered electronically.

Essentially, I have a large library in my pocket, available at all times, and never lack for reading material.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have a reading plan that I keep updated with newer stuff or titles I plan to acquire. So my book count is accurate to +-5. Paper's an other thing, once read it tops a pile of giveaway to an adult literacy campain. Books to keep are about 20% of what I've read.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have a notebook that I started at school in 1980... (Well I have re-written it twice over 27 years)

I few months ago I photocopied all pages in Russian (till 1999) then saved them on my pc and typed all books in English in doc file (starting from 1999 ), so I have pretty clear picture
I also have a rough waiting list of the books I want to read.

Unfortunatelly, I am very slow reader, so the list is not too long.

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #36
nooming
nooming began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
I can't remember how many I read it.
I make many e-book by myself and read, after finish reading I delete all.
nooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #37
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Man, we have some power readers in here! I can't believe that many people have read over 100 books already... I think that averages out to ~10 books a month (if they picked it up when it was available back in October/November) or about 2-3 books a week! Sheesh, not sure how you can maintain that kind of steam, though I'm duly impressed.

I haven't really kept a running total, but I usually take about a week or two to kill a novel (and that's if it doesn't stink) so I've only knocked over about 25-ish. My wife, on the other hand, just received hers back after the huge TigerDirect 4th of July deal and is rapidly gaining on my count... I think she's up to at least 15 in about a month and a half (course she's cleaning up in the Romance genre).

Edit: Since this is for all mobile devices, it still doesn't really ratchet up my count too much since I couldn't really get into reading on my small PDA screen. You guys/gals are still the bomb for reading all that you have. I usually only read in the evening just before I go to sleep, so that's anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours (depending on how good the book is, not how early I have to get up ).

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-04-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Ooops, didn't notice this was for all devices...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes, I read 2-3 books per week (fiction). Non-fiction typically takes me longer, but I don't have much non-fiction in ebooks at present.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #39
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Must say, I find this to be a really interesting thread...

So, lets see. I read 1-3 novels a week. I havent kept count, so lets just say 1.5 per week.

I bought my first ebook reader (a Franklin eBookman) when my son was born, so thats seven years ago. Ergo, I guess I'd be looking at between 500-600 or so books. In that time, I've upgraded twice-second hand iPaq 3630 from eBay, and a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet two weeks ago.

Over that timeframe, the only books I have read on paper have been the Harry Potters (its a long story). I'm certainly getting my moneys worth, if nothing else! And yes, before you ask-my eyes are just fine.
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #40
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Yes, I read 2-3 books per week (fiction). Non-fiction typically takes me longer, but I don't have much non-fiction in ebooks at present.
You bring up an interesting point Neko.

At first glance there isn't that much non fiction available in ebook formats compared to fiction; leaving free classics out of the equation of course. Fiction has notoriously been categorized as an ephemeral type of work and only true fans would buy to collect. After reading most copies end up resold or discarded.

My remark is this. Is there an association of sorts with fiction and ebook format? Meaning that ebooks are also meant to be discarded?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have more fiction in ebooks because most fiction I like to read is SF, which is rather well represented in available ebooks. I would say this is probably partly because SF readers have been more technically capable and inclined toward converting (or reading) ebooks to this point. I'm given to understand that romance may have overtaken SF in terms of availability by now, but I have no data on this as I don't read romance.

The non-fiction I have tends to be about linguistics or education, both of which have been somewhat slow to adapt, though I do have some physics ebooks. Math uptake seems to be slow as well. I do have a bunch of computer science books in paper that would probably be available as ebooks, but I haven't even looked to see if they are, because if I'm looking at a computer reference book, there's a good chance something is wrong with my hardware and I might not be able to access an ebook. Also, even if the hardware is working correctly, I tend to be using my screen for something else at the same time that I'm trying to look something up. I'll use online references if I have them, but I don't go out of my way to acquire CS books in ebook form.

Last edited by nekokami; 09-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #42
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
I have more fiction in ebooks because most fiction I like to read is SF, which is rather well represented in available ebooks. I would say this is probably partly because SF readers have been more technically capable and inclined toward converting (or reading) ebooks to this point. I'm given to understand that romance may have overtaken SF in terms of availability by now, but I have no data on this as I don't read romance.
Yes, neko. From time to time romance overtakes reading.

Quote:
The non-fiction I have tends to be about linguistics or education, both of which have been somewhat slow to adapt, though I do have some physics ebooks. Math uptake seems to be slow as well. I do have a bunch of computer science books in paper that would probably be available as ebooks, but I haven't even looked to see if they are, because if I'm looking at a computer reference book, there's a good chance something is wrong with my hardware and I might not be able to access an ebook. Also, even if the hardware is working correctly, I tend to be using my screen for something else at the same time that I'm trying to look something up. I'll use online references if I have them, but I don't go out of my way to acquire CS books in ebook form.
I found when I was doing an engineering project I would have anywhere from several to many dog-eared hardware and software manuals open on my desk at the same time. If I were to attempt that with eBooks, I would have to have a very user-friendly bookmarking system. I am not sure it wouldn't slow me down.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It turns out that romance novels are selling really well. They are mostly purchased by housewives.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #44
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Yes, neko. From time to time romance overtakes reading.

Yes, even in my case, romance can overtake reading. I like them both, just not at the same time!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Yes, even in my case, romance can overtake reading. I like them both, just not at the same time!
I've told my wife that I could easily read a books during sex. She told me not to bother. I havn't bothered proving to her. I think I'll give into this one.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote