Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 03:30 AM   #31
NIRC
Enthusiast
NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
Could I have an email address to send the epub file to? I'd be happy to do so. I could also send the azw file that Kindle Previewer 3 converted to mobi.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What Doits says^. Don't subset on the way "in." Subset when it's done. Works a treat as does Doits' font subsetting plugin.

Hitch
I'll try that as almost everything on Calibre works best with an epub2 source!
Advert
Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
I apologize for frustrating those of you who would like specific questions regarding the code. I just don't know how to access that information or what I should be looking for. All I know is this: I got the mobi file to work perfectly in the Kindle Previewer and on my Kindle fire, but the KDP page rejects it. If someone could tell me what to check, I will try my best to catch up, but I am really ignorant when it comes to tracking down the source of the problem. I would be happy to supply the mobi file if necessary.
(By the way, I have only one proprietary font in the file.)
Only upload epub2 to KDP!

At the Content page you get the option to download a mobi that Amazon Creates. Though you have to wait for a few minutes. Download that and test it. You can save Draft on that page so as to not publish. Amazon suggest you email that to your Kindle. No need. It seems to be a dual mobi and works on a PW3 or a Kindle DXG and in Calibre eBook Viewer (with the Fonts if the Kindle supports it). A Fire is simply using a variant of an Android Kindle App. A Fire is really an Android Tablet and not actually a Kindle at all.

You can attach an epub2 or Calibre scrambled epub2 to a post here.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
Could I have an email address to send the epub file to? I'd be happy to do so. I could also send the azw file that Kindle Previewer 3 converted to mobi.
Use Wetransfer to upload the eBook and then pass on the URL for downloading. The upload expires after 7 days so you don't have to worry about it always being there.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch
What Doits says^. Don't subset on the way "in." Subset when it's done. Works a treat as does Doits' font subsetting plugin.

Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'll try that as almost everything on Calibre works best with an epub2 source!
That didn't work either. Subsetting an epub to epub.

I looked at the log and concluded the location of Courier was odd.
It was an ancient GST/GSP supplied font from the 1990s. I replaced it with a different Courier/Monospace style font in the proper system font location by changing the paragraph style that used it.

Subsetting works now on converting docx or epub to epub.

I was suspicious it had to be a dodgy font as otherwise there would be other reports.
It saves about 1/5th of the file size using subset fonts. Which is significant, but as I thought not show stopping either. I should look at the cover images in the advert burb rear matter.

Now I'll have to check EVERY document!
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
That didn't work either. Subsetting an epub to epub.

I looked at the log and concluded the location of Courier was odd.
It was an ancient GST/GSP supplied font from the 1990s. I replaced it with a different Courier/Monospace style font in the proper system font location by changing the paragraph style that used it.

Subsetting works now on converting docx or epub to epub.

I was suspicious it had to be a dodgy font as otherwise there would be other reports.
It saves about 1/5th of the file size using subset fonts. Which is significant, but as I thought not show stopping either. I should look at the cover images in the advert burb rear matter.

Now I'll have to check EVERY document!
The size does matter, indeed, particularly vis: delivery fees, but the real gain, to my way of thinking, is that you've subset the font so that it can't be lifted or used, from within the eBook. Practically and legally, it matters.

Hitch
Old 10-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'll be updating every already published work with subset fonts.

I just made a big template using /demo all the styles and tested it with Calibre subset from docx.

I've also tested it on DXG, Kindle Keyboard, PW3, Sony PRS350 etc. Interesting that without Aa Publisher font on the Kindle Keyboard it's hugely better than the DXG, most of the built-in font substitutes are close enough. Only the chapter headings are obviously the wrong font. It does look better on Aa publisher, though the monospace font I've used, BPG Courier, is a bit fainter.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll be updating every already published work with subset fonts.

I just made a big template using /demo all the styles and tested it with Calibre subset from docx.

I've also tested it on DXG, Kindle Keyboard, PW3, Sony PRS350 etc. Interesting that without Aa Publisher font on the Kindle Keyboard it's hugely better than the DXG, most of the built-in font substitutes are close enough. Only the chapter headings are obviously the wrong font. It does look better on Aa publisher, though the monospace font I've used, BPG Courier, is a bit fainter.
Wow, I feel like an internet "Influencer," hahahahahahaha.

I'm glad you've sorted it. We subset bloody every font, no matter what. Free, donation-ware, don't care. If it's in our books, it's subset.

Hitch
Old 10-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wow, I feel like an internet "Influencer," hahahahahahaha.
I did think it was a good idea and I was just too lazy to investigate why it didn't work when I tried it some years ago.
After your comment about trying epub as source and that failing, it had to be a dodgy font as the ebooks look fine and pass all other epub checks. So I'm pleased to get rid of the ancient Courier font which probably came with GSP Publisher over twenty years ago. I used to copy fonts from computer and OS to newer ones since probably 1994 or earlier!

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I did think it was a good idea and I was just too lazy to investigate why it didn't work when I tried it some years ago.
After your comment about trying epub as source and that failing, it had to be a dodgy font as the ebooks look fine and pass all other epub checks. So I'm pleased to get rid of the ancient Courier font which probably came with GSP Publisher over twenty years ago. I used to copy fonts from computer and OS to newer ones since probably 1994 or earlier!

Thanks.
Oh, please, I was teasing. But I'm glad that it's working now, mon sweetie.

Hitch
Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Of course you are an Internet Influencer. Though maybe not via Instagram or other Anti-social networks.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Of course you are an Internet Influencer. Though maybe not via Instagram or other Anti-social networks.
awwww, you sweet talker you!

Hitch
Closed Thread