Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'm not sure why people are criticizing this though, as it is not relevant near the center of the frame, where a useful comparison can still be made. It's not scientific, but any good pair of eyes can interpret a real difference between the two screens.
I don't think the question being brought up about the quality of the photo is relative to whether or not a difference exists, but rather how well we can gauge the amount of difference based on the photo.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #32
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
According to this review, there also seems to be some "speckles" of black all throughout the background. Now, that doesn't sound like it would increase contrast at all to me and would actually have the opposite effect. I was thinking that it was possibly added to give more of a real paper texture to the screen.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
. I was thinking that it was possibly added to give more of a real paper texture to the screen.
I actually wondered if that was just a screen refresh issue.
If it is intentional to give a bit of paper texture finish to the display, that is an interesting idea-but hope they give you the option of turning it off.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
According to this review, there also seems to be some "speckles" of black all throughout the background. Now, that doesn't sound like it would increase contrast at all to me and would actually have the opposite effect. I was thinking that it was possibly added to give more of a real paper texture to the screen.
I think eInk has always had the "speckles".
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #35
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
The screensaver shot at the same link does not have this speckles and in the text screen the speckles are not in the place where the residual of "ghost" line would be, so I would assume this is intentional to minimize the "reflect" on the screen and add some paper-like natural character. However, I will be very pissed off if this unwanted feature cannot be turned off.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #36
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think eInk has always had the "speckles".
Really? Until they pointed it out, I never even noticed.

Eyes, don't fail me now!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #37
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
The screensaver shot at the same link does not have this speckles and in the text screen the speckles are not in the place where the residual of "ghost" line would be, so I would assume this is intentional to minimize the "reflect" on the screen and add some paper-like natural character. However, I will be very pissed off if this unwanted feature cannot be turned off.
That's the thing...I was wondering if the more pronounced speckling could be turned off myself
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Really? Until they pointed it out, I never even noticed.

Eyes, don't fail me now!
There are some threads around here somewhere with magnified photos of previous eInk devices (Vizplex I think) showing the same "speckles" throughout the display. They looked exactly like the picture in that review.

You don't really notice it with the naked eye.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #39
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
There are some threads around here somewhere with magnified photos of previous eInk devices (Vizplex I think) showing the same "speckles" throughout the display. They looked exactly like the picture in that review.

You don't really notice it with the naked eye.
Do the Pearl's speckles seem darker as well I wonder.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #40
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Do the Pearl's speckles seem darker as well I wonder.
I don't think so, but I'd have to hunt around and find the magnified pictures of the vizplex display to compare.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think so, but I'd have to hunt around and find the magnified pictures of the vizplex display to compare.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...les#post751008
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #42
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I've provided quite a few in the past. I just posted over in another thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

I wanted to see more competent macro shots because I'd like to see if the black element is indeed darker, or if it is a more consistent gray.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #43
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
A good video review by MobileTechReview who is also a member of the forum here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0YeWrv0x-8
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #44
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I agree with Ritchey, the photos are not particularl useful.

Take out the bezel, and the background shade is nearly identical:

I took the image linked before, and cropped out the bezel, and (just for kicks) switched the older screen to the left. I notice that the background IRL is also much lighter than the photo....

I'm pretty sure the screen and substrate is the same, they just upped the contrast in a software setting. When the K2 came out, lots of people pointed out how low the contrast was compared to the K1. Why they never upped the contrast for the K2 is beyond me....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #45
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
The video was pretty interesting, thanks for posting.

I still don't think I want to come to any conclusions about the new displays until I've held one side-by-side with an older model, though.

Just shows how you can get a different impression from two frames of the same video:

Image 1) - 4:59, looks no different from the older screen model.
Image 2) - 1:53, contrast looks much improved. 'Grey' background looks almost completely white!
Image 3) - The future of e-readers, to be revealed at trade-shows from next week, or why I love Photoshop.

I'd love to see a still image of the old and new DX, side by side taken by a camera on a tripod, lens set to f8 or f11 (what most point and shoots would automatically use in half-decent light), lit by difused light (outside, cloudy day would be perfect) and the two readers the same distance and angle from the camera.

Yes, I'm being demanding .
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote