Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #31
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvico View Post
Now that I didn't know. Thanks!
No promises that it'll work, of course! I'm not sure where in Vic you are, but the Brisbane/Yarra Plenty libraries co-operate and have a fairly large selection of ebooks.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #32
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Once upon a time I would've too. Now, that I'm a struggling writer watching every cent I spend, I want to know what I'm buying.

I also question why a writer wouldn't make a sample available. Maybe I've read too many bad books.
Certainly agree with the last part. Those who do not excerpt are crazypants.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #33
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I think that people who don't make a sample available, don't believe in their own work... and I wouldn't buy the book if a person was too afraid to put up a sample... I mean, how bad can the book be?

If someone was going to read 75% of a book as a sample, it would have to be very, very good, and as such, who would want to miss the last 25%, even if you'd have to pay for it?

I normally just read a couple of pages, before I know I'd want the book...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #34
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I think that people who don't make a sample available, don't believe in their own work... and I wouldn't buy the book if a person was too afraid to put up a sample... I mean, how bad can the book be?

If someone was going to read 75% of a book as a sample, it would have to be very, very good, and as such, who would want to miss the last 25%, even if you'd have to pay for it?

I normally just read a couple of pages, before I know I'd want the book...
Yes, writing styles vary so much (likewise readers' tastes) that I usually only need to read the first couple of pages to know whether I'll like it or not.

No sample – no sale.
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #35
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Yep! No sample - no sale... Shame, though.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #36
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Vicki,

Welcome to Mobileread and thanks very much for the coupon for your book. I've been looking to take a break from all this SciFi I've been consuming of late so your book moves to the top of my queue.

Last edited by Croptop; 01-21-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Misspelled author's name! I'm a moron.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #37
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Vicki, Thanks for your book. I read it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Rare to have a book with an Aussie background. I would certainly be willing to buy your other books if you decide to publish an e version.
In fact I will get onto Smashwords today and buy a copy of Thin Blood to show my appreciation.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #38
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Vicki,

Welcome to Mobileread and thanks very much for the coupon for your book. I've been looking to take a break from all this SciFi I've been consuming of late so your book moves to the top of my queue.
Thanks, Croptop. I hope you enjoy the break from your SciFi diet.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #39
alvico
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Vicki, Thanks for your book. I read it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Rare to have a book with an Aussie background. I would certainly be willing to buy your other books if you decide to publish an e version.
In fact I will get onto Smashwords today and buy a copy of Thin Blood to show my appreciation.
Laine, I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed Thin Blood. I really appreciate your gesture of buying a copy, but I’d appreciate a review on Smashwords more. That’s, of course, if you haven’t already purchased the book. Thanks again.

P.S. I’ve sent you a PM re my other books.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #40
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Hi Vicki,

Just wanted to pop onto the thread again to let you know that, while I'm still a few chapters away from finishing your book, I've been enjoying it immensely. I haven't posted a review over on Smashwords yet (I'm going to wait until I actually finish the book before I do that) but I did want to publicly thank you one more time for making your work available for us to sample.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #41
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Hi Vicki,

Just wanted to pop onto the thread again to let you know that, while I'm still a few chapters away from finishing your book, I've been enjoying it immensely. I haven't posted a review over on Smashwords yet (I'm going to wait until I actually finish the book before I do that) but I did want to publicly thank you one more time for making your work available for us to sample.
Croptop, I’m delighted to hear you’re enjoying Thin Blood so much… especially from a SciFi reader. I look forward to reading your review (which is much appreciated) when you’ve finished. Many thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #42
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
thanks Vicki, and welcome to MR.. OK, Can someone please tell me how I get it onto Calibre? I seem to have got stuck!

Last edited by Panda Rose; 01-26-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #43
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
thanks Vicki, and welcome to MR.. OK, Can someone please tell me how I get it onto Calibre? I seem to have got stuck!
You're most welcome, Panda Rose.

Now what's the problem about getting it onto Cailbre? You should be able to download the ebook already formatted for your device without the need for Calibre. What format does your ereader use? It's available in MOBI, EPUB, PDF, RTF, LRF (for Sony Reader), PDB, and TXT.

If you're still having problems, please do not hesitate to message/email me.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #44
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Thanks Vicki. I'll post a review on SmashWords after I finish.

You might consider putting another on SmashWords. I downloaded a different author's free book, "Soul Identity". I liked it and IMMEDIATELY bought the next in the series, "Soul Intent".
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #45
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Quote:
You're most welcome, Panda Rose.

Now what's the problem about getting it onto Cailbre? You should be able to download the ebook already formatted for your device without the need for Calibre. What format does your ereader use? It's available in MOBI, EPUB, PDF, RTF, LRF (for Sony Reader), PDB, and TXT.

If you're still having problems, please do not hesitate to message/email me.

Good luck!
It wasn't getting it into Calibre that was the problem, but the great people at Smashwords helped me sort things out. thanks anyway, looking forward to reading the book now.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote