Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #31
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yeah, they're screenshots and because I use kepubify rather than Calibre these days, I don't have the option to send greyscale covers.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:06 AM   #32
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Yeah, they're screenshots and because I use kepubify rather than Calibre these days, I don't have the option to send greyscale covers.
I too use kepubify so I run covergen to convert cover thumbnails to grayscale and fix the aspect ratio.
xyclonei is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2022, 04:49 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Other then the missing demo slides, is there any reason to install 4.33.19611 vs the previous 4.33 firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:16 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other then the missing demo slides, is there any reason to install 4.33.19611 vs the previous 4.33 firmware?
I had to revert two Sages from 4.33.19608 to 4.32.x because parts of handwriting would go invisible while writing (though there) on Advanced Notebook and you'd have to tap cancel and repeat for Advance Notebook export (in notebook or parent My Notebooks).

The 4.33.19611 seems to work OK on the Sage.

The 4.33.19608 is fine on the Elipsa and in fact it has no 4.33.19611 version.

I've not checked out my granddaughter's Nia which is on 4.32.x and never got the 4.33.19608 version

It's curious which four models so far got 4.33.19611: Libra2, Sage, Clara HD and Nia.
Yet not the original Libra, nor Forma nor Elipsa.
See https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Eh. I'm still on 4.32. Just haven't felt like upgrading and no burning need to do so either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #36
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Probably because these are raw screen dumps taken internally, and kobo's gui is actually color even though the HW doesn't support it (yet).
How are "raw screen dumps taken internally" actually works? The only possibility I'm aware of is using NickleMenu with settings like:
Code:
menu_item : main : Screenshot : nickel_setting : toggle : screenshots
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Both the fb and its QImage (or whatever Qt thingy the QPA uses, cba to check) backing store are @ 32bpp (e.g., RGBA).

So whether you screenshot via Nickel (Qt) or fbgrab (fb), you'll get color (unless you use a sane setup with proper cover thumbnail dithering ;p).

This is not true for KOReader, where we swap to grayscale (so does Plato, on *almost* every device. IIRC, the exception is the Clara, because kernel issues).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #38
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
How are "raw screen dumps taken internally" actually works? The only possibility I'm aware of is using NickleMenu with settings like:
Code:
menu_item : main : Screenshot : nickel_setting : toggle : screenshots
That's how I did it.

Basically, the Kobo outputs graphics in color, but of course the eink display is greyscale. It's the same as taking a color cable TV signal and putting it on a black-and-white TV. The TV can read the color signal, but it'll still look black-and-white.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #39
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
I too use kepubify so I run covergen to convert cover thumbnails to grayscale and fix the aspect ratio.
Ok, question about that. I get that I can run covergen -rg and it'll convert all my covers to greyscale. Presumably, whenever I add a new book, I would run covergen -g. But is it smart enough to know only to convert the new book, or does it have to scan the entire device first to find it? Is it fast? My only concern is that I have 4,000 books and so scanning the entire device each time something new is added will add up in terms of time quite quickly.

Last edited by rtiangha; 06-11-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #40
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.xyclonei put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Ok, question about that. I get that I can run covergen -rg and it'll convert all my covers to greyscale. Presumably, whenever I add a new book, I would run covergen -g. But is it smart enough to know only to convert the new book, or does it have to scan the entire device first to find it? Is it fast? My only concern is that I have 4,000 books and so scanning the entire device each time something new is added will add up in terms of time quite quickly.
Covergen seems smart enough to check whether the files have been processed previously.

The first run did take a few minutes, but all successive runs were near instantaneous for 3300+ books.

Also, it only works on JPEG covers as far as my experiences go. @geek1011, any idea if it works for PNG covers?
xyclonei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not really. The only change I can see is allowing the slideshow folder to survive updates.

If the slideshow folder has been deleted, to regenerate the slideshow folder will require a factory reset. If you have the slideshow folder in a backup, you can copy it to the Kobo ereader but since exiting demo mode is equivalent to a sign out, not something many would want to do everyday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kobo_libra_2.pdf (249.7 KB, 201 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not really. The only change I can see is allowing the slideshow folder to survive updates.

If the slideshow folder has been deleted, to regenerate the slideshow folder will require a factory reset. If you have the slideshow folder in a backup, you can copy it to the Kobo ereader but since exiting demo mode is equivalent to a sign out, not something many would want to do everyday.
So a Kobo is easy to take out of demo mode yet a Kindle is rather difficult.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I had to revert two Sages from 4.33.19608 to 4.32.x because parts of handwriting would go invisible while writing (though there) on Advanced Notebook and you'd have to tap cancel and repeat for Advance Notebook export (in notebook or parent My Notebooks).

The 4.33.19611 seems to work OK on the Sage.

The 4.33.19608 is fine on the Elipsa and in fact it has no 4.33.19611 version.
Wrote too soon. Massive fading out on half the page, not fixed by Refresh. Export didn't seem to finish, but cancel and repeat worked.
So back to 4.32.x on the Sages tomorrow.

It's intermittent and only affects writing in or exports of Advanced Notebooks. Everything else is fine!
Old 06-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Eh. I'm still on 4.32. Just haven't felt like upgrading and no burning need to do so either.
Seems a good plan for Sage anyway!
Old 06-12-2022, 06:21 AM   #45
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
That's how I did it.
Well, does not work for me on Libra 2, even with explicitly sending the cover pages in color via the following KoboTouch driver configuration:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-12 121616.png
Views:	129
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	194322  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release