Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #31
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
FWIW there is a r2 of the pre-root .zip It should fix some errors, although I dont know about the gmail/youtube etc errors.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Okay, have my fingers crossed. I've never installed or used CWR before, so my heart has been in my throat though this entire process. I just installed the new pre-rooted update and am at the "reboot from CWR" stage. Ack. <waiting...waiting...>

1) Homescreen looks the same. Check.
2) All apps seem to be present. Check.
3) Had to reinstall Ultra Keyboard from the (still there) apk again. This has been an issue since I played with installing the faux 1.1.0 build prop so no surprise. I hope this time it sticks.
4) New Market! Screen is indeed a bit wonky, but I can press things once I figure out where they are. Just tried installing a simple app (No Lock--which I uninstalled because it was malfunctioning during my faux build prop experiment). Check. Check.
5) Oh yes. Opened a B&N book, and was able to get back to it via the stock "open book" button without first doing "Home Switcher." Check.
6) Rebooted while forgetting to turn off WiFi first and WiFi is still connected, unlike my prior issue with it turning off if it went to sleep. Woo-hoo!
7) Tested stock browser. Pinch to zoom works, and it is indeed much snappier. Don't think I'll use it often, but nice to know it works. Check.
8) Volume does seem to be a bit better but I haven't listened to enough music on the NC to be sure.
9) B&N Shop seems fine. Check.

Okay, hoping this will hold. When I did the faux build prop it was going a few minor but weird things afterward, such as flashing from wherever I was back to my homescreen and flashing back again in a split second. Plus "No Lock" worked only sporadically and my charger no longer turned green when the battery was full. So, I'm also hoping this fixes those weird hiccups too.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
FWIW there is a r2 of the pre-root .zip It should fix some errors, although I dont know about the gmail/youtube etc errors.
I just tried it. Well, Market worked and let me download an app...then in force closed! Arrrrgggh!

I'm starting to think that it has something to do with going from 1.0 to 1.1 without ever updating to 1.0.1
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I just tried it. Well, Market worked and let me download an app...then in force closed! Arrrrgggh!

I'm starting to think that it has something to do with going from 1.0 to 1.1 without ever updating to 1.0.1
Why not flash back to stock and do the update. Then use autonooter and pick up from there. All this time you invested you might as well go all the way now. If you still have issues, it'll give you one more thing to rule out.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why not flash back to stock and do the update. Then use autonooter and pick up from there. All this time you invested you might as well go all the way now. If you still have issues, it'll give you one more thing to rule out.
That's what I did, and it worked

I had to flash to stock (1.0.1), autonooter, reinstall youtube, then apply the prerooted 1.1 update.

Everything is working fine now, but I have two questions:

1. I reinstalled many of my market apps through Titanium Backup, but when I go to "my apps" in the Market they don't show up there. Any way to get the Market to see them so I can be alerted of updates?

2. The version of the Market that came with the 1.1 update is formatted weird. The Update/install button is a tiny sliver and is hard to press. Any way to either fix this, or safely go back to a better version of the new market?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #36
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I did, and it worked

I had to flash to stock (1.0.1), autonooter, reinstall youtube, then apply the prerooted 1.1 update.

Everything is working fine now, but I have two questions:

1. I reinstalled many of my market apps through Titanium Backup, but when I go to "my apps" in the Market they don't show up there. Any way to get the Market to see them so I can be alerted of updates?

2. The version of the Market that came with the 1.1 update is formatted weird. The Update/install button is a tiny sliver and is hard to press. Any way to either fix this, or safely go back to a better version of the new market?

Thanks!
The Market apps will show, it just take time for that info to populate. The same thing happened with me.

That's how the new Market is on the NOOKcolor. Funny you mention this. When I did the manual root, it installs the old Market (I previously updated to the new one). I didn't realize it's the old one until I did an install and didn't see those awkward buttons. I decided to keep the old Market (for that reason alone) and use AppBrain as a front end.

You can install the old Market if you want.

Last edited by SCION; 01-29-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #37
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Yes, see the post HERE.
Thanks for that. Makes sense now that I've experienced manually rooting 1.1.0 and had to discard framework.jar that's included in the Google Apps package (nooter0.2).
Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #38
Noah98
Eccentric

Ok, this version of Market works and is formatted correctly:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...75&postcount=2
Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Trying it now.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:

Hey, thanks! And I didn't need to do anything special to install it (no rename or permissions fixing). I just emailed it to myself and installed with email installer.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

Great find Noah!!! Thanks. Retrieved it from my DropBox and installed with Astro. No tweaking needed.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #42
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Hunh. He says he forgot to include the updated kernel in the first one. That's funny. We both replaced it with the 1.1ghz OC one anyway, but I figured I'd grab a nandroid of the setup with stock 1.1 kernel, so I ran his r2 update and all went well for me. I'll have a nice set of backups for testing if new oddities pop up.

When the backup completes I'll go back to the OC kernel until a new optimized one comes out since it seems compatible and runs nice and fast.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #43
Driaz
Next Big Nothing
Driaz began at the beginning.

Device: nook, nook color(rooted)
I have a stupid question...

Do I need to have separate uSD cards for my system backup (nandroid?) and the new ROM zip? Can I put all this on the same uSD card that I'm currently using....I have an 8GB uSD that is pretty much empty.

I only have 2 uSD cards....a really small one I used to put autonooter on and then the 8GB that I leave in the NC...

Also, what are the odds that while I'm installing CWR or ROM manager that I get hit with the BN update and don't have a good system to backup?

Thanks for any help with my questions!
Driaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #44
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driaz View Post
Do I need to have separate uSD cards for my system backup (nandroid?) and the new ROM zip? Can I put all this on the same uSD card that I'm currently using....I have an 8GB uSD that is pretty much empty.
One card is fine. And in this case you don't have to worry about removing the zip files afterwards or reformating the card. You can (and should) use your existing 8GB (so your apps will have all their data) and so that you always have your nandroid backup with you on the Nook.

Quote:
Also, what are the odds that while I'm installing CWR or ROM manager that I get hit with the BN update and don't have a good system to backup?
You can leave wifi off except to download Rom Manager from the market and flash clockwork mod from within Rom Manager. While CWM is running there is no risk because the regular OS isn't running nor are you connected to wifi. The main risk is that until you get to the point of flashing CWM from within Rom Manager that your device will download the update and apply it during a reboot. And once you have a nandroid backup prior to update you are doubly safe since you can restore to that state.

Last edited by zartemis; 01-29-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #45
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Hunh. He says he forgot to include the updated kernel in the first one. That's funny. We both replaced it with the 1.1ghz OC one anyway, but I figured I'd grab a nandroid of the setup with stock 1.1 kernel, so I ran his r2 update and all went well for me. I'll have a nice set of backups for testing if new oddities pop up.

When the backup completes I'll go back to the OC kernel until a new optimized one comes out since it seems compatible and runs nice and fast.
Yea I considered doing this as well. I didnt because I am lazy at heart and the 1.0.1 kernal seemed to be running ok.

I predict I will be going to Froyo on internal memory in the very near future, but until I do, the 1.1gHz on 1.1 will do, because its so blazing fast
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote