Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
OK...one moment
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I do what I'm good at

Slips back into lurker mode

Last edited by The Joker; 01-22-2011 at 04:04 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

I got invalid argument when I added /app at the end
Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #34
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Try:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

I got invalid argument when I added /app at the end
I didn't get an error message, but the file is still read only.
I also tried to uninstall it directly from the App Manager that popped up in Astro but I get "installation not successful".

Last edited by BarryR; 01-22-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: changed "write" to "read" above
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I didn't get an error message, but the file is still write only.
I also tried to uninstall it directly from the App Manager that popped up in Astro but I get "installation not successful".
How do you know it was still write only when it was plugged up? Are you going by the unsuccessful uninstall?

Alright, since it said installation not successful try changing the extension of the gingerbread file so it will be ignored.

Change it to GingerBread.bak

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

adb shell mv /system/app/gingerbread.apk /system/app/gingerbread.bak

adb reboot
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #36
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
How do you know it was still write only when it was plugged up? Are you going by the unsuccessful uninstall?

Alright, since it said installation not successful try changing the extension of the gingerbread file so it will be ignored.

Change it to GingerBread.bak

adb shell mv /system/app/gingerbread.apk /system/app/gingerbread.bak

adb reboot
I meant to say it was "read" only (based on the "r" flag that I see when I view it with Astro.

I ran the above commands and strangely get:
failed on '/system/app/gingerbread.apk' - No such file or directory

I noticed that it's com.android.inputmethod.gbltn
Is that the file that's supposed to be there?
Do I have gingerbread half uninstalled?

PS: I'm including the following screen shots so you know that I'm neither insane or dumb:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-22-1.png
Views:	225
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	65300

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-22-2.png
Views:	232
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	65301
Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #37
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I meant to say it was "read" only (based on the "r" flag that I see when I view it with Astro.
Yes, it doesn't stay read/write.

The file should be: com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.apk

Try:

adb shell mv /system/app/com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.apk /system/app/com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.bak
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, it doesn't stay read/write.

The file should be: com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.apk

Try:

adb shell mv /system/app/com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.apk /system/app/com.android.inputmethod.gbltn.bak
Thanks for your perseverance.
Sadly this gets me the same "No such file exists" error.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant

How about installing Gingerbread again. See what happens. Maybe it will clean itself up. Do you have the .apk?

Root Explorer would just be able to delete the thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant

Are the file names case sensitive? Does it have to be GingerBread.apk?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #41
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are the file names case sensitive? Does it have to be GingerBread.apk?
I tried adb uninstall GingerBread.apk but it fails.
I tried reinstalling gbkb-en.apk and gbkb.apk both fail:
[INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]

I'm not sure I'll really use root explorer again as it's a bit beyond my technical abilities, but that might be the best answer.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #42
BarryR
Connoisseur

PS: Are there any other keyboards I should look at?
I read about slideit but that may not be my thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant

Do you have the stock keyboard?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
BarryR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Do you have the stock keyboard?
When I look under NookColor Tools my choices are Multi-touch and Gingerbread. I think those are my only current choices (all though obviously GingerBread is not a real choice.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #45
SCION
Séduisant

OK, I thought you were without a keyboard. So you're using the Multi-Touch one now?

The only other keyboards that may be of interest are SlideIT (swype and arrows) and Ultra (with arrows). They are paid apps though. I have SlideIT.