Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is your plugboard? </curious>
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Oasis 3
Code:
{author_sort:||,}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>3s}
Target = author_sort and authors.

I was happy a bit too early: for books where there is no series information, the Kindle still displays "firstname lastname", but the sorting is all right across all books, so...

Maybe that can be tricked with a blank after the comma. Will try it tonight.

Also, if a series has more than one author, like authors Preston/Child with the Agent Pendergast series, the series is grouped, however the index is wrong. Books will then be ordered by first mentioned author (Preston), then title. But at least all information is visible incl. index numbers, and the series is displayed in one block. I got used to this behaviour with my Sony already.

Attention: the plug will NOT work for series written by several independent authors, in my case there's only one: Justifiers. It's written so badly however, that I don't think I'll read it again
In such case I just use the search field which works like a charm and suggests the whole series after typing in a few letters...

Last edited by PRS-T2; 11-20-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot something
PRS-T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is interesting. I don't think anyone thought of adding a second comma to author_sort.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #34
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is interesting. I don't think anyone thought of adding a second comma to author_sort.
Me neither until I started thinking what the hell the kindle does to the author_sort field after sorting. The comma idea came after you explained the kindle way of handling that field as far as sorting and display goes.

Without that comma, it displays the line like this:
<Greg - Amboss 001 Bear>
With comma, either added to the series or author sort, or just put between them:
<Bear, Greg, - Amboss 001>
Which I prefer for obvious reasons
Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Cross-posted to the plugboards megathread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2981529

Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #36
PRS-T2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Cross-posted to the plugboards megathread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2981529

Thanks for cleaning up my mess and channeling all the good ideas and findings to the mr users all over the place

Glad I met ya!

Aunt EDITh is telling me to throw an image for ex-soniacs who used the author field to display series information and sort it by author, then series, then series index. Please find that screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW2_commaInAuthor_sort.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	131382  

Last edited by PRS-T2; 11-20-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added image for ex-soniacs :D
Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #37
PRS-T2
Connoisseur

WARNING: somehow my plugboard code seems to mess with the screensaver plugin. Since I use it to sort my books, I can't get book covers to work for screensaver. It's back to the old lame kindle images instead. I stick with it for now, because I prefer organized books...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS-T2 View Post
WARNING: somehow my plugboard code seems to mess with the screensaver plugin. Since I use it to sort my books, I can't get book covers to work for screensaver. It's back to the old lame kindle images instead. I stick with it for now, because I prefer organized books...
The plugboard only acts as though you changed the metadata fields in calibre manually (and ugly) -- I cannot think why that would break the screensavers hack... I suggest asking about it in the Screensavers thread.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
PRS-T2
Connoisseur

Quote:
The plugboard only acts as though you changed the metadata fields in calibre manually (and ugly) -- I cannot think why that would break the screensavers hack... I suggest asking about it in the Screensavers thread.
I know that. However, I didn't change anything else but exporting the books to the device using that plug
I too have no idea how that could kill the screen savers hack, very likely there's no correlation.
Did you say UGLY? We're talking sheer beauty here hehe...
EDIT: reinstalled the ss hack and it's working now

Last edited by PRS-T2; 11-25-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS-T2 View Post
I know that. However, I didn't change anything else but exporting the books to the device using that plug
I too have no idea how that could kill the screen savers hack, very likely there's no correlation.
Did you say UGLY? We're talking sheer beauty here hehe...
Manually is ugly.

Because calibre exists to have the right metadata in the right places, and metadata fields on ereaders are merely visual headers, not semantic. Thus, changing the fields in calibre (which is the same thing as far as the Kindle knows) is ugly.

And because doing things manually is an ugly hack, anything that can be dynamic, should be dynamic.

Quote:
EDIT: reinstalled the ss hack and it's working now
Good news.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #41
PRS-T2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Manually is ugly.
Damn I got you all wrong haha . My bad, you're right