Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #31
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, apparently Windows 11 has gotten more persnickety and is pretending that it's Linux. Or else that's just PowerShell. Whatever. Did ".\adb reboot edl" work? Are you trying to use my edl.exe (in the sig) or the Python version from someone else? Do you have a Nova Air C? I'm losing track. Is your goal to install Magisk?

i am trying to root the nova air c, install magisk i guess....

i am on windows 10 using powershell, i am using the edl.exe from here

( i have downloaded all files on this thread and following steps)

when i do ".\adb reboot edl" the devices freezes , and i have to hard reboot.

Last edited by wakkaday; 04-25-2022 at 09:37 AM.
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
No, when you do adb reboot edl it goes into EDL mode, but you don't know how to recognize it.
Download Zadig and use it to install a WinUSB driver on the device that is 05c6/9008.
Then run:
Code:
./edl.exe /lgarbage
It will print out a bunch of stuff, then say that it can't find garbage.
We have to look at the two lines saying "HWID" and "Hash" (you don't need to show your serial number).
Then I can tell you what loader you need.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #33
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
No, when you do adb reboot edl it goes into EDL mode, but you don't know how to recognize it.
Download Zadig and use it to install a WinUSB driver on the device that is 05c6/9008.
Then run:
Code:
./edl.exe /lgarbage
It will print out a bunch of stuff, then say that it can't find garbage.
We have to look at the two lines saying "HWID" and "Hash" (you don't need to show your serial number).
Then I can tell you what loader you need.

the file name of the device changes strangely,
in zadig it showing as called 'BENGAL-IDP_SN BFDXXXX'

and when i run ./adb devices in powershell, it says

List of devices attached
5053D4F3 device

and some times it says the same, but daemon started sucessfully.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but we wanted you to adb reboot edl, remember?

Edit: Then I'm guessing that your HWID/Hash will be:
Code:
HWID: 0014d0e100000000
Hash: d40eee56f3194665
You want the loader that was posted on that other thread:
Qualcomm_662_loader.elf, 668,796 bytes
Code:
./edl.exe /lQualcomm_662_loader.elf
./edl.exe /u /g
If it doesn't work with the /u try without it.
Do you have a boot or a boot_a, boot_b?

Last edited by Renate; 04-25-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:18 AM   #35
SleepWithMachine
Connoisseur
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
I just got an update to FW 3.2.2.
after no more root access

I think I have to go through this again
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #36
Renate
Wizard

Do you need root to "adb reboot edl"?
Were you rooted before? With Magisk?
You speak in riddles. I do not understand.

The interjection had me confused with whom I was speaking to.

Last edited by Renate; 04-26-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:22 AM   #37
SleepWithMachine
Connoisseur
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I just wanted to state that with the new firmware root disappears
Old 04-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #38
Renate
Wizard

Ok, but I asked whether "adb reboot edl" works without root.
And if it works, why aren't you just doing the steps?

Last edited by Renate; 04-26-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #39
wakkaday
Groupie

i am trying to root my nova air c, maybe its my windows 10 which doesnt like following the steps instructed in the first post

nevermind
Old 04-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #40
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
I just wanted to state that with the new firmware root disappears
I have a Note Air 2 which just updated to 3.2.2. After each firmware update, I lose root. To regain root, I need to pull boot.img again by way of EDL and then redo the Magisk process.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #41
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
i am trying to root my nova air c, maybe its my windows 10 which doesnt like following the steps instructed in the first post

nevermind
This tells me absolutely nothing.
If you want help, you have to be clear about exactly where you are having a problem.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #42
SleepWithMachine
Connoisseur

Quote:
[strike]

and I was wondering if my English is really that bad

@downeaster59
thanks, i just did the same
Old 04-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #43
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post

nevermind
Try turning off PowerShell and use Command Prompt instead. I know it was giving me problems recently rooting my Leaf so I turned it off, what little adb knowledge I do have is in command prompt it's much easier. This was especially helpful for edl.exe I think (I wish my memory was better...but I turned it off for a reason lol).

If regular Command Prompt gives you problems with edl.exe then run in Command Prompt Admin mode from Start Menu then cd.. or cd FOLDER NAME until you find where edl.exe is.

To turn off PowerShell just Windows Key + S to open search, then search "Turn Windows Features On And Off", scroll 'til you find turn off PowerShell. You can just turn it back on later again.

If adb reboot edl doesn't work in Command Prompt (as opposed to the mess that is PowerShell) then install a fresh adb maybe with something like 15 Second ADB installer. This is what me, a non-tech person does when I hit problem. "Welp time for new ADB in C:/ again!" LOL. EDIT: Or get Renate to try help you with Zadig again to make sure you're drivers are OK for EDL. Just volunteering you there Renate sorry lol.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-29-2022 at 01:22 PM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #44
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Oh and it's also pretty important to note that EDL mode will actually look like a freeze/brick. Is that maybe causing some of the issue here? I just did it then to remember what it looks like: no light on the power button, screen displays (with no light) whatever the screen was when I gave the adb reboot edl command.

So you're quite possibly not frozen at all, but actually in edl mode/ready to do Zadig step/whatever the OP instructions say.

Don't get hung up on what Zadig says in relation to your adb device number. It doesn't matter.

Also you're not using edl.exe in adb. Once you've booted into edl mode via adb, open a different Command window entirely to avoid confusion. Navigate to the folder where you've put edl.exe and the loader file Renate is talking about. They have to be in the same folder. That's what I'm alluding to with cd.. (to go back a directory) or cd FOLDERNAME to select a directory. Do that until you're in your edl folder. Then you run the edl command section of the steps.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-29-2022 at 02:14 PM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #45
bassme
bassme began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Air C
Hello, trying to root my Nova Air C.

I downloaded Rante's edl.exe, the Qualcomm 662 file (and renamed it q662.elf), downloaded Zadig, and set to work.

Ran adb reboot edl and it seemed to work

Used Zadig and changed the device driver to WinUSB and was told the driver installed successfully.

Then, while in the directory that had both edl.exe and q662.elf, I ran "edl.exe /lq662.elf /r /pboot_b boot.img /t /v"
It spit out some lines the second to last giving 14% complete, then said something about failed to load. Then windows told me it was rebooting, so I didn't get to copy the message down.

When everything came back up (and I got the Air C back from edl) I ran through all the commands again, except the last.
Instead I ran "edl.exe /lq662.elf /v" and received:
Found EDL 9008
Could not read device

I tried uninstalling in device manager and starting over, but continue to get the last message (found, but could not receive).

As I haven't tried to root a device in a really, really long time, and am not a programmer, I'm at a loss as what to do next...
bassme is offline   Reply With Quote