Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Tags won't do it. If anything, a custom column based upon a series would be the only way.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #32
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Tags won't do it. If anything, a custom column based upon a series would be the only way.
And why is that? I think a text-only field should be enough. If one only wants to distinguish between two versions, say edited and non-edited, even a boolean column should suffice. Personally, I think I'd go with a tags-type field and assign only one tag in that field to each book.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
And why is that? I think a text-only field should be enough. If one only wants to distinguish between two versions, say edited and non-edited, even a boolean column should suffice. Personally, I think I'd go with a tags-type field and assign only one tag in that field to each book.
Because you can't have that parent/child relationship with a tag. But you can with a series column.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #34
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Because you can't have that parent/child relationship with a tag. But you can with a series column.
That implies there is a parent-child- relation. I don't see one, I only see different versions for different purposes.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #35
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
The point I was trying to make is that the OP was unhappy that calibre would need multiple entries or libraries for the different versions of the same book, albeit in different states. Yet they (edit: the OP) would have also needed multiple folders/filenames as well, and that if you stored three files with the exact same filename in the exact same directory, two of them would get overwritten/deleted. They (edit: the OP) would have to differentiate between the editions (edit: with alternate folder/filename), so I was pointing out that calibre could do that just as well.

Last edited by Perkin; 11-29-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #36
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm really not trying to hammer on this, but take a look at the post linked in my .sig. It's a bit strident, because it was posted in response to the latest of a series of people who had come in here and insulted Kovid because they didn't like calibre, but I think it does a good job of explaining what people have a hard time grasping in the beginning: calibre is not a file manager, calibre is a book manager, and they're not the same thing at all. There's a bit of a mental twist to getting your brain around the difference in how calibre works, but once you grok it, you will never want to go back.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #37
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm really not trying to hammer on this, but take a look at the post linked in my .sig. It's a bit strident, because it was posted in response to the latest of a series of people who had come in here and insulted Kovid because they didn't like calibre, but I think it does a good job of explaining what people have a hard time grasping in the beginning: calibre is not a file manager, calibre is a book manager, and they're not the same thing at all. There's a bit of a mental twist to getting your brain around the difference in how calibre works, but once you grok it, you will never want to go back.
You're wasting your time on this character.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
What a crime I am committing, to want so something is that is both a file manager and a book manager !
Organising files is just as important as organising book.
And your signature is proof of something, I'm clearly not the only one.

And think a little. Would a function allowing the user to say how files are organised be a problem to you ? Would that make calibre less usable to you ? No, you could keep it with the actual set up, it wouldn't change anything for you. On the other hand, it would make calibre better for me, and quite a few other people.
Then why would implementing such a feature bother you that much ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #39
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Then why would implementing such a feature bother you that much ?
Please implement this feature and submit the code. That way, you and all the others will be happy.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please implement this feature and submit the code. That way, you and all the others will be happy.
Really, given the reaction here, mmm, no tanks.
You don't want calibre to change, you like it messing with your files. Got the message. Fine with me. I won't bother coding something you people don't want.

If I'm to do some coding, I'll rather do something totally different and new. Will take me less time to make something to do the basic stuff I need, than messing with calibre's code.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-30-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #41
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I'm to do some coding, I'll rather do something totally different and new. Will take me less time to make something to do the basic stuff I need, than messing with calibre's code.
And it will fit my needs better than calibre.

And well, some seam to think calibre is perfect and don't need any improvement. Then so be it.
Then why are you still carping here? Code away.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #42
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
You don't want calibre to change, you like it messing with your files.
You do understand, don't you, that Calibre is "messing with" its own copy of the files, not your original copy?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #43
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

And well, some seam to think calibre is perfect and don't need any improvement. Then so be it.
With no sarcasm intended, I look forward to seeing what you build (if anything). It is always interesting to see how people solve the fundamental conflicts between data integrity, data availability, and usability.

As for calibre being perfect, that is silly. It clearly is not perfect. The real issues relate to what developers spend their time doing. In contributed software, people build what is important to them. What you want is not important to me, so I won't spend any time on it. It obviously is important to you, which is why I suggested that you implement it. I would use a solution you provide, as long as it doesn't take away things I *do* care about, such as data integrity.

(edit: you changed your post, going ad hominem. You don't know what I want or what I like. However, it is easier to attack me than it is to do something productive. C’est triste que les gens réagirent comme ça.)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You do understand, don't you, that Calibre is "messing with" its own copy of the files, not your original copy?
Having to keep a "clean" copy in addition of the calibre copy, defeat the point of using calibre.

And to answer Lady Fitzgerald, waiting for eclipse to calculate dependency.

Quote:
You don't know what I want or what I like. However, it is easier to attack me than it is to do something productive.
I'm not the one who began it... I was "attacked" first.I don't see how attacking people how *dare* asking for new feature is productive...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-30-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #45
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
...I'm not the one who began it... I was "attacked" first.I don't see how attacking people how *dare* asking for new feature is productive...