Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is you sony reader affected by Ghosting ?
Yes, I do see something 72 62.07%
No, even when looking carefully, the screen is clear 35 30.17%
N/A 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #31
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Thanks simonbcn.

I've checked with mine, and about the first three, I can confirm that it affects my reader too but not as distinguished as yours. I attached 1 pic for you to see for yourself. See in the upper right corner, the image icon (and the text "Images", faintly) still, although faintly, be seen.

I've downloaded testghost.pdf and try it on, and I do not experience anything going from 1st page to 2nd page.
2nd to 3rd I saw very faint ghosting, and took a pic but it is worse in pic, hardly anything.

You should return yours. I would do that if I were you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060676.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	60913  

Last edited by lack; 11-09-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: the attached image even looks more faint.. But it is there, believe me ^^
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #32
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbcn View Post
Hi,
My Sony PRS-650 has this problem too. Is this a problem of firmware or hardware?
Should I change my PRS-650?
I wouldn't care if this is firmware or hardware related. I would return it immediately.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm sorry, I can't post a pic as I'm at work.

I did a reset and that seems to have fixed the problem, at least for now.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #34
adonys
adonys began at the beginning.

I've got this problem too.

After working flawlessly for a month or so, it started ghosting each page turn (for a text only book).

Doing a shutdown and restarting it solved the problem (at least until now).

Most of the ghosting reports seems to be related with only using the standby (no shutdown) for a relatively long period of time (more than 2-3 weeks, or so)
adonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I got my PRS-650 on Friday and I noticed ghosting this morning. I leave it in sleep mode when I'm not reading. Quite disappointed with this. Should I return it, should I open a ticket with Sony?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #36
simonbcn
Simón
simonbcn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Papyre 6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
I got my PRS-650 on Friday and I noticed ghosting this morning. I leave it in sleep mode when I'm not reading. Quite disappointed with this. Should I return it, should I open a ticket with Sony?
I think you should open a ticket with Sony
simonbcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something else I noticed is that some parts of text (or even just words) are darker than others. I'll see if I can take a picture with my camera tonight.

Last edited by stodge; 11-15-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #38
stodge
Groupie

Got a response from Sony:

I'm sorry you're experiencing difficulty with the ghosting on the screen of your Reader. If an image or page is left displayed on the Sony Reader there may be some ghosting of the static page when the page is turned or the screen in changed. Turn the page or change what is displayed two or three times to clear the ghost image. This is normal operation.

In case the issue persists or if you encounter trouble while reading, you may try some troubleshooting steps for when there are lines on the screen of the Reader, such troubleshooting will apply for this case also. Please click on the link below to access our KB article:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1008817

I expected they would say it's normal operation - does anyone agree with them? When I get some time I'll research ghosting and the E-Ink screen.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
You could try going to settings and just fiddling by taking the brightness and contrast to extremes before putting them back to normal. Works for me.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
stodge
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Something else I noticed is that some parts of text (or even just words) are darker than others. I'll see if I can take a picture with my camera tonight.
I just realised this is (obviously!) caused by the ghosting.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #41
tekolen
tekolen began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
better than my previous 700
tekolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #42
simonbcn
Simón
simonbcn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Papyre 6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
I've got this problem too.
After working flawlessly for a month or so, it started ghosting each page turn (for a text only book).
Doing a shutdown and restarting it solved the problem (at least until now).
Most of the ghosting reports seems to be related with only using the standby (no shutdown) for a relatively long period of time (more than 2-3 weeks, or so)
Can you attach some photo? I think that your problem is similar but no the same.
The ghosting problem occurs in all PRS-650 (and in older models of Sony), it's a firmware problem.
If anyone do the test with the PDF, of first post, he'll can reproduce the problem.
And this problem occurs regardless of the standby.
simonbcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #43
algernon
ourangutan
algernon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505, iPad, PRS 650
I never had this problem , but after about 2 months of use [with standby] I get strong ghosting with white text from the previous page every 4 or 5 pages. the first time it appeared after an end of chapter with only one line, so a mostly white page.
it's very annoying and I don't consider it normal operation. the reader worked fine for 2 months and on my 505 the ghosting was very rare and a lot less pronounced
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #44
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
My ghosting can be easily cured by turn forward and backward back pages.

Also, another threads has URLs for alternative screen saver images.
Select those line art ones that the background is mostly white, with few strokes in the foreground, as your screen saver images. I'm not sure if the heavy back remain on screen for extended period of time will "burn-in" the screen

Last edited by meerkat; 12-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #45
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
I'm not sure if the heavy back remain on screen for extended period of time will "burn-in" the screen
I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as burn in for e-ink.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote