Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #31
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Are you in woodcutting business now or something? Where all this inside knowledge comes from?

You know you don't have to pronounce your "omniscience" in every thread.
It comes from my assumption about which direction time flows... as stated in a subsequent post.

The fact that some random publisher sells 100,000 fewer books in September doesn't mean that any random country's lumber industry cut down a single fewer trees several months earlier than they would have if said publisher did not offer eBooks.

The suggestion that there can possibly be any causal relationship between these things is, in fact, very strange indeed.

Certainly future output of wood for paper making may be impacted... but even there the relationship between the fewer sales and the lessening of forest destruction is far too byzantine to be even semi-accurately reflected by a musing about trees surely having been saved by the lower-by-X sales of already printed books.

And the fact that I don't have to pronounce my omniscience doesn't mean I shouldn't be kind enough to. You're welcome!

- Ahi

Ps.: Your sense of propriety is deficient, dmikov. Your edit comment "Reason: Removed personal comments about annoying troll" is considerably more rude than your initial almost jovial chiding was.

Last edited by ahi; 09-24-2009 at 04:22 PM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #32
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Maybe, but not necessarily. They are charging the same wholesale prices for ebooks as the paper equivalent, but it is likely that won't last. It is unclear if consumers will keep their book expenditures constant -- e.g. you currently spend $20/month on paper books, and would also spend $20/month on ebooks -- or if they would just buy the same number of books, and spend their money elsewhere. Plus, it erodes the perceived value of their products.
It does seem a shortsighted view on their part and probably overlooks the potential for an increase in expenditure from somebody wanting to try out their new toy more and/or the convenience increasing the amount they read.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #33
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I finished the book last night. Enjoyed it very much. Not great literature, but a fun read, and I learned all sorts of interesting trivia from it.
Hmm. Might be worth fact-checking all that trivia before you go believing it. With Mr Brown the fiction and the background setting blend disconcertingly
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #34
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Popcorn novel, light and enjoyable but the best part is that I was able to check out the ePub version from my local library. $0 cost to me, trivial exercise to read on the Kindle. And yes, I deleted it from my Kindle and my PC after I read it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Popcorn novel, light and enjoyable but the best part is that I was able to check out the ePub version from my local library. $0 cost to me, trivial exercise to read on the Kindle. And yes, I deleted it from my Kindle and my PC after I read it.

Yep, that's my plan -- I've got it checked out already and will read it next following my current read - The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Downloaded and read the sample - that was enough for me. Too many other things I'd rather read at the moment.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #37
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I bought it as an ebook but haven't read it yet. For some reason my reading list grows faster than the speed I can read!

Hopefully those figures are encouraging to publishers.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote