Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #31
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
For whatever reason, I still cannot access pgaskin.net at all. I've tried 3 different browsers, turning off my antivirus, using a different computer, using my android phone, etc. The connection always times out or says that the site is unavailable. I seem to be the only person on the planet who can't access the site, so I hope some kind soul will add the new firmware to the wiki at some point, hint, hint.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
[*]For some formats, the menu when reading has "Hints and Tips". It is not there for sideloaded kepubs.
Some fomatS? It's potentially quite useful for new users, which makes it a sensible addition to store-bought kepubs, from my brief test. I'm curious though about which OTHER formats offer it, since it doesn't show up in sideloaded kepubs or sideloaded epubs?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Some fomatS? It's potentially quite useful for new users, which makes it a sensible addition to store-bought kepubs, from my brief test. I'm curious though about which OTHER formats offer it, since it doesn't show up in sideloaded kepubs or sideloaded epubs?
I know it shows for epubs and purchased kepubs and that it doesn't show for sideloaded kepubs. I don't use other formats except for occasional testing and never remembered to check. I raised it during the beta process, but, I hadn't noticed it until to late.

What is shown is the same thing that should be shown the first time you open a book after setting up a book. And it is in the help as "Reading a book".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For me, it does show for sideloaded ePUBs. I tap the ... and the last item in the list is Hints and Tips. It also shows for purchased/synced from Kobo kepubs. The attached screenshot is from a sideloaded epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	443
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	188642  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 AM   #35
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
For whatever reason, I still cannot access pgaskin.net at all. I've tried 3 different browsers, turning off my antivirus, using a different computer, using my android phone, etc. The connection always times out or says that the site is unavailable. I seem to be the only person on the planet who can't access the site, so I hope some kind soul will add the new firmware to the wiki at some point, hint, hint.
@icallaci I'm in Australia and I had the same problem. Finally, I thought of trying a VPN and using a US server, I immediately was able to access the site. I used Windscribe VPN as it has a free option.

I always had access to the pgaskin.net in the past. For some reason, it seems no longer possible to access it from Australia (without a VPN)

Cheers.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 12:29 AM   #36
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
For whatever reason, I still cannot access pgaskin.net at all. I've tried 3 different browsers, turning off my antivirus, using a different computer, using my android phone, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmongyee View Post
For some reason, it seems no longer possible to access it from Australia (without a VPN)
Kobo Firmware 4.28.18220

Kobo 3(Touch A/B)
https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/f...4.28.18220.zip

Kobo 4 (Touch C, Glo, and Aura HD)

Kobo 5 (Aura and Aura H2O)

Kobo 6 (Glo HD, Touch 2.0, Aura ONE, Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Aura Edition 2 v1, and Aura ONE Limited Edition)

Kobo 7 (Clara HD, Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Aura Edition 2 v2, Forma, Nia, and Libra H2O)

Not for Mini

The latest official firmware for the Mini is 3.19.5761-s. If desired, Mini owners can upgrade to FW 4.28 (Mark 4). This will work, but Kobo does not guarantee perfect performance.

Last edited by Semwize; 08-13-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:09 AM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, it does show for sideloaded ePUBs. I tap the ... and the last item in the list is Hints and Tips. It also shows for purchased/synced from Kobo kepubs. The attached screenshot is from a sideloaded epub.
That's interesting, thanks. I tried the 3 sideloaded epubs listed in my current signature (I have no sideloaded kepubs on my Libra), and none of them showed it.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:49 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's interesting, thanks. I tried the 3 sideloaded epubs listed in my current signature (I have no sideloaded kepubs on my Libra), and none of them showed it.
It looks like it is the book language. I have tests books that are marked as Hebrew and Serbian. Neither of those show the tips item. But, the English ePubs do. My first thought is that for books in the languages that the UI supports, the item will show. That would explain the first of your books, but, not the other two. Unless they aren't in the obvious seeming language for them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:18 AM   #39
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, it does show for sideloaded ePUBs. I tap the ... and the last item in the list is Hints and Tips.
I can see the Hints and Tips. I cannot see the options:
  • Inverted screen
  • Screenshots
I do understand correctly you did some patching to obtain those?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:48 AM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
It looks like it is the book language. I have tests books that are marked as Hebrew and Serbian. Neither of those show the tips item. But, the English ePubs do. My first thought is that for books in the languages that the UI supports, the item will show. That would explain the first of your books, but, not the other two. Unless they aren't in the obvious seeming language for them.
The second one is in Italian, and the Dickens is in English. I didn't expect to see it in the Hindi one, but the Dickens especially is just a bog standard epub, a bit surprised not to see it there. So far, only store bought kepubs show it for me.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #41
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It looks like it is the book language. I have tests books that are marked as Hebrew and Serbian.
It is not a language. For some reason, me it is displayed for all epub in a non-English language ...
Old 08-12-2021, 05:37 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Kobo Firmware 4.28.18220

Kobo 3(Touch A/B)

Kobo 4 (Touch C, Glo, and Aura HD)

Kobo 5 (Aura and Aura H2O)

Kobo 6 (Glo HD, Touch 2.0, Aura ONE, Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Aura Edition 2 v1, and Aura ONE Limited Edition)

Kobo 7 (Clara HD, Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Aura Edition 2 v2, Forma, Nia, and Libra H2O)

Not for Mini
Are you sure it's not for the Mini? The 4.26. firmware worked on the Mini.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:38 AM   #43
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
It is not a language. For some reason, me it is displayed for all epub in a non-English language ...
Curiously, I just opened 4 sideloaded epubs that I'd finished. All displayed the Hints and Tips. I then went back to the Dickens which did not show the hints and tips after the update, and now it does. Odd
Old 08-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #44
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure it's not for the Mini? The 4.26. firmware worked on the Mini.
Jon, why are you asking if you don't have a Mini?
And those who have a Mini know perfectly well what can be installed, but Kobo does not guarantee that the new firmware will fine work on this device, at your own risk.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #45
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
I know it shows for epubs and purchased kepubs and that it doesn't show for sideloaded kepubs. I don't use other formats except for occasional testing and never remembered to check. I raised it during the beta process, but, I hadn't noticed it until to late.

What is shown is the same thing that should be shown the first time you open a book after setting up a book. And it is in the help as "Reading a book".
Well for me it works with sideloaded kepubs and pdfs in French, English, German, Spanish and Italian - I wouldn't know about epubs or downloaded kepubs, since when I could still buy DRMed books from Kobo, I always downloaded them as epubs on my PC and had Calibre convert them to kepubs on transfer to any Kobos.
My UI language is French, and the menu has 3 lines (in French, whichever the book language is): show details, dictionaries and hints.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release