Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Catlady, maybe its time to cut your losses on this one. There's no point spending a ton of time to find a word-around for a service you don't plan to use after the free sample.

To head off a possible objection to the above suggestion, please direct your attention to Wikipedia's article on the sunk cost fallacy, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm not insulted and no apology is necessary, but I don't like the implication that I'm only having problems because I'm trying to do something illicit or shady. I'm not.
I think the implication was less that you were doing something wrong, but more that you were expecting something out of the service that it isn't designed to deliver. You want to burn files to a CD in MP3 format when Audible really only provides for doing that in WAV format.

It's a real nuisance that Audible doesn't let you burn in your preferred format, and I suspect it's meant to be.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 09-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Excuse me, but I am trying to burn a CD. Audible says I can do that.
You asked for:

Quote:
I see that I'm allowed to burn files to CD, but the books would use up a LOT of CDs. I would like to burn mp3 files to a data CD instead--is there a workaround to allow me to do that?
Audible says:

Quote:
You will not be able to burn Audible content as a MP3 file.
http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answ...d2dHU2bA%3D%3D

You said:

Quote:
Could I burn to a CD-RW and then convert to mp3s? I don't want to waste a ton of CDs.

Audible says:

Quote:
For ideal recording quality and reliability, Audible recommends that you don't use CD-RW discs.
http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answ...tunes-%28pc%29

You said

Quote:
this whole process is so silly; why make me go through two steps to get to the mp3 file instead of just letting me convert directly to an mp3? Do the Audible people just want to annoy me, or do they have a vested interest in making me buy blank discs? I don't get it.
I say: They don't sell MP3s. Thats not their business process. they sell drm-laden audio books. They don't have to make circumventing DRM easy. Use the apps, and/or the service the way they designed it and you are almost certain to see your problems disappear. Then using your audiobooks will be easy.

You said:

Quote:
I don't like the implication that I'm only having problems because I'm trying to do something illicit or shady. I'm not.
Sorry...I think I must have misspoke for you to think I was saying that.

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Catlady, maybe its time to cut your losses on this one. There's no point spending a ton of time to find a word-around for a service you don't plan to use after the free sample.

To head off a possible objection to the above suggestion, please direct your attention to Wikipedia's article on the sunk cost fallacy, here.
Yeah, I should cut my losses, but I'm stubborn and I'd like to make it work--at least once, for one book. I'm looking on it as a learning experience (!).

Quote:
I think the implication was less that you were doing something wrong, but more that you were expecting something out of the service that it isn't designed to deliver. You want to burn files to a CD in MP3 format when Audible really only provides for doing that in WAV format.

It's a real nuisance that Audible doesn't let you burn in your preferred format, and I suspect it's meant to be.
But you're missing the point that FIRST I just want to burn in the Audible-sanctioned format (actually the files show up with a .cda extension). And I haven't even been able to take that first step without extensive problems. That's what is annoying.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
There is a way to remove the DRM and burn the resulting MP3 to a data disc it takes about 20-30 mins for each book part(bout a 7hr segment) most books I've done so far are only two parts so 40-60 mins total. I usually let it run while I'm doing the housework or watching a movie, its not very difficult.

Usually however I just use my audible app on my phone it's pretty darn awesome
I find that unless I use Enhanced, the sound below that just isn't worth converting to mp3 but that method does work.

My Sansa Clips play Audible format So I just leave them the way they are. I think Audible is awesome! I've been a member almost a year now. I couldn't be happier. Audible just gave me $10 in credit as thank you for being a member for a year. You can't beat that! I got two Audible books with it from one of their many great sales.

I am a platinum member and I love my membership. Now the Kindles have Whispersync for Voice and the new Fires have immersion reading it just gets better.

Audio books are expensive so I love that I can pay $22.95 a month and get two books of my choice. I save alot of money!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I think the implication was less that you were doing something wrong, but more that you were expecting something out of the service that it isn't designed to deliver.
Yes! this.
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #36
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think Audible is awesome! I've been a member almost a year now. I couldn't be happier.
Testify!

Now thinking of membershipping myself to them. Own lots of freebies over the years.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
You asked for:I say: They don't sell MP3s! They sell drm-laden audio books! Use the apps, and/or the service the way they designed it and you are almost certain to see your problems disappear.
Last time: Audible says I can burn CDs. I have not yet managed to burn one book to CDs following Audible's instructions.

What I do with the CD AFTER it's burned, IF I ever get a playable one, is an entirely separate matter. But since apparently I will be easily able to rip mp3s from the CDs, isn't it absurd that Audible makes me jump through another hoop to do it?

I noticed that even the iTunes burning process has an option of creating an mp3 CD, but it is disabled for Audible. Audible's restriction seems entirely pointless.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #38
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Last time: Audible says I can burn CDs. I have not yet managed to burn one book to CDs following Audible's instructions.
not on CDRW. Up until now, thats all you have said that you have attempted to burn to.

Apologies if I missed where you tried name brand cdr's as they suggested.

Quote:
I did try a virtual CD drive, as someone else suggested, but the only one I found that was free didn't work. iTunes hemmed and hawed and finally ended up giving me an error message.

So now all I know to do is to buy a batch of fresh CD-RW discs, and burn and convert...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=21

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
not on CDRW. Up until now, thats all you have said that you have attempted to burn to.

Apologies if I missed where you tried name brand cdr's as they suggested.

Since you are determined to be so picky, all Audible says about CD-RWs is that the sound quality may not be as good. It does not say one is barred from using them.

P.S. I'm done. Thanks to those who offered help. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Catlady; 09-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #40
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
all Audible says about CD-RWs is that the sound quality may not be as good.
they also mention reliability in same sentence.

Maybe context is only sound quality though...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I ONLY buy MP3 audios, either from AudioBookStand.com, where I get the disk in the mail, or from BooksOnBoard when they offer an audio book that I want in MP3 format.

I do not fool with WAV or WMA or whatever format Audible uses.

BTW, AudioBookStand.com has a sister site: AudioBookStandDL.com where you download the books, but they are in either WAV or WMA or some other format, and DRM'd.

I save all my MP3 Audiobooks on my computer, with a backup. And then I use SD cards, both full size and micro, to keep my Audio books on, so that all I have to do to change books is swap out the SD/MicroSD in my MP3 player.

AJ
WMA I use for my library audiobooks all the time ... so I no its not that format that Audible uses. They have format 4 then 3 then 2 then Kindle/Enhanced. But could be my mp3 players sre not compatable. O well I can still listen thru the computer.... just hard to take the computer to the potty
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WMA I use for my library audiobooks all the time ... so I no its not that format that Audible uses. They have format 4 then 3 then 2 then Kindle/Enhanced. But could be my mp3 players sre not compatable. O well I can still listen thru the computer.... just hard to take the computer to the potty
The Sansa Clip is compatible but you need to install Audible Manager to transfer your Audible books to it. The latest version is a tad buggy.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #43
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did that.... maybe a bug got me! I going to see if I can delete & retry! Thanks Blossom!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I did that.... maybe a bug got me! I going to see if I can delete & retry! Thanks Blossom!
Try this.

Open the Audible Manager
Plug in your Sansa Clip to your PC
in Audible Manager go to Devices\Authorize
Once that is done you can then right click on any book
and choose Transfer.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #45
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I did all that yesterday.

OK I took it ALL off & re did it NOW it WORKS!!!

Guessing it was a bug!