Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Restarting the router will not work in most cases to get a new IP. You'd need to have the router off when the lease for that IP is up so it doesn't get renewed.
That will depend on the DHCP server and configuration the ISP is using and how many spare addresses they have. There is a good chance that you will get the same address back even after the lease has expired. The IP address will probably still have the MAC address against it, but, in a state that the IP can be used for another MAC if needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In all the test cases the emails appear to have been sent from a btinternet.com address to a kindle.com address. Have you tried sending a "loopback" from the btinternet address to the same address. That way you eliminate the possible issue of Kindle rejecting the incoming file for some reason (perhaps related to the SMTP header that Calibre generates).

Also worth checking is that your IP address hasn't found it's way onto a blacklist used by ISPs to silently dump mail. spamcop.net is a useful way to check. Remember that unless you have a static IP address (unlikely with btinternet) some previous "owner" of what is now your IP address may have got it blacklisted.
This is worth checking, but, doesn't feel right. If it is a spam blocking issue, it should be blocked elsewhere as well. But, missing email can be tricky, as the receiver needs to know it was sent and not received.

Another way of testing this would be to use another internet service. Connecting via a phone as a hotspot is what I would try, but that will depend on the machines involved. You would also want to use the btinternet mail servers to send the email. Whether that is possible depends on how they have setup their servers. You will probably need to use the secure servers/ports unless the other service is also through btinternet.
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 03:15 AM   #33
celinego
Connoisseur
celinego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7; Kindle Fire HD10; iPhone6s; Windows 10 HP Pavilion; Nexus 7
The "loopback". Yes, I've sent emails from myself to myself. They arrive. The Test email from calibre I also send to myself, not a kindle address. It doesn't arrive in either my webmail or emClient UNTIL I have gone into the Diagnostic tab on emClient where it has a ? beside both POP3 and SMTP. When I click "Run Diagnostics", the ? then changes to a green tick and when I refresh emClient, the test email from Calibre arrives in my emClient and webmail inbox. So I think emClient does something to prove my credentials or something to allow the Calibre test email through. So, as I'm sending the test email to myself, I can see it IS received after I run the emClient diagnostic. I can also see any mobi file is received on my kindle and iphone IF sent by webmail or emClient ... and both go through the same BT servers. The only thing not arriving is any mobi file sent via Calibre, even though the log showed that they were sent and not rejected by the server.

My router always comes back with the same IP address when it's switched off and on again.
celinego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #34
celinego
Connoisseur

Quote:
Have you tried to ZIP or RAR an eBook and emailing it with your email client to see if that works? If that works, then it is your email service blocking eBooks.
Not sure I understand ..... I have downloaded a RAR file and emailed that to myself (not my kindle) using emClient email. And it arrived in my inbox.

If I add a RAR file to Calibre and try to send it, I can't because it wants to auto convert it to mobi before allowing it to be sent.

Do you mean make a book already in Calibre into a zip or rar and try emailing the file via my emClient? And to myself or to my kindle? Sorry to be so dense!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #35
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That will depend on the DHCP server and configuration the ISP is using and how many spare addresses they have. There is a good chance that you will get the same address back even after the lease has expired. The IP address will probably still have the MAC address against it, but, in a state that the IP can be used for another MAC if needed.
Because the OP was using BTInternet I assumed he was using BTs broadband service and a combined broadband modem/router such as the BT Home Hub. This provides a NAT service meaning that the IP address on your local (home) network is pretty constant though that seen by the outside world can change. Network supplied IP addresses with this configuration are not supplied by simple DHCP and will depend on the node you get connected to when you re-boot the modem/router. I have never got the same (public) IP address when re-booting the modem/router.

The logs supplied make it clear that the BTInternet mail server is accepting the mail for onward transmission so why it isn't getting to its destination will be difficult to locate without access to the servers logs (and someone in BTInternet support who will/can access and interpret them).

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by celinego View Post
Not sure I understand ..... I have downloaded a RAR file and emailed that to myself (not my kindle) using emClient email. And it arrived in my inbox.

If I add a RAR file to Calibre and try to send it, I can't because it wants to auto convert it to mobi before allowing it to be sent.

Do you mean make a book already in Calibre into a zip or rar and try emailing the file via my emClient? And to myself or to my kindle? Sorry to be so dense!
Don't mail to yourself. email to whoever it is you send these eBooks to. It could also be an issue on the other end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The "loopback". Yes, I've sent emails from myself to myself. They arrive. The Test email from calibre I also send to myself, not a kindle address. It doesn't arrive in either my webmail or emClient UNTIL I have gone into the Diagnostic tab on emClient where it has a ? beside both POP3 and SMTP. When I click "Run Diagnostics", the ? then changes to a green tick and when I refresh emClient, the test email from Calibre arrives in my emClient and webmail inbox. So I think emClient does something to prove my credentials or something to allow the Calibre test email through. So, as I'm sending the test email to myself, I can see it IS received after I run the emClient diagnostic. I can also see any mobi file is received on my kindle and iphone IF sent by webmail or emClient ... and both go through the same BT servers. The only thing not arriving is any mobi file sent via Calibre, even though the log showed that they were sent and not rejected by the server.

My router always comes back with the same IP address when it's switched off and on again.
Using calibre 4.2, I just sent the test email to my ISP email address, a work email and gmail. It got to the last two, but, my ISP blocked as spam. The spam details are:

Code:
X-SpamDetect: **: 2.839000 Message text disguised using base-64 encoding=2.0, From: does not include a real name=0.8
If Amazon are using similar rules, that might be why they are being blocked.

I also tried calibre 3.45. The test email was wasn't blocked by my ISP. The spam line is:

Code:
X-SpamDetect: 0.839000 From: does not include a real name=0.8
But, sending a book was with the same spam detection.

I have never tried this before, so I don't know if anything has changed recently. And I don't use a Kindle, so haven't tried that. If it is a spam block, I would expect others to be impacted, unless it is just btinternet that is the problem. Maybe something would be obvious from the headers that they add. But, it looks like it is an Amazon issue.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Because the OP was using BTInternet I assumed he was using BTs broadband service and a combined broadband modem/router such as the BT Home Hub. This provides a NAT service meaning that the IP address on your local (home) network is pretty constant though that seen by the outside world can change. Network supplied IP addresses with this configuration are not supplied by simple DHCP and will depend on the node you get connected to when you re-boot the modem/router. I have never got the same (public) IP address when re-booting the modem/router.
OK, it they are configured differently to what I am used to. Including the DHCP servers I manage.
Quote:
The logs supplied make it clear that the BTInternet mail server is accepting the mail for onward transmission so why it isn't getting to its destination will be difficult to locate without access to the servers logs (and someone in BTInternet support who will/can access and interpret them).
I don't see any issues in the logs either. The IP of the client will probably be passed along to the next server, so that could be the issue. Or it could be the containing subnet being blocked. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a error sent back, but, they could be being blocked as well.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:31 AM   #39
celinego
Connoisseur

Quote:
Don't mail to yourself. email to whoever it is you send these eBooks to. It could also be an issue on the other end.
I have tried sending books files to myself and three other different people. No one has received anything.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have tried sending books files to myself and three other different people. No one has received anything.
Did you send them as a zip or a rar? Are you sure you are not sending books hat are too large?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #41
celinego
Connoisseur

Quote:
Did you send them as a zip or a rar? Are you sure you are not sending books hat are too large?
Nope. All single mobi files and none of them exceed the max size for a single or for multi issue to a group. If either was the case, Calibre red flags it and tells me the max size is exceeded. That hasn't happened with any of the single mobi files which have said successfully sent.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #42
celinego
Connoisseur

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

When I raised this last Thurs with my ISP, I got as far as a Tier 2 technician who said he'd escalate it to the email team and that he'd get back to me within 2 business days. It's now a full week later so I rang them again today and fortunately got an English lady.

She could see the ticket had been raised and put me on hold to speak to the email team. She came back and said there HAS BEEN AN ISSUE with the server and all callbacks relating to it have been delayed until the issue is fixed.

So, could it be as simple as that?! I will let you know when I get the actual callback but am trying not to get my hopes too high!
Old 10-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #43
celinego
Connoisseur

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE 2!

Meanwhile, whilst waiting for my ISP and Amazon to get back to me, I've configured Calibre to use my pop3 gmail settings and that's working, both test email and mobi files ar arriving on both my kindle, my iphone, and in the Docs section of my Amazon account.

AND this doesn't generate the Amazon "Verify your Document" email either.

So, again, this points to my ISP being the problem. Meanwhile, can anyone share with my the outgoing settings for my Hotmail/Outlook account. I don't actually have a @hotmail.com address but I do have an @outlook.com address.

I have googled these but can't seem to find any up to date ones?

Many thanks ....
Old 10-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have googled these but can't seem to find any up to date ones?
A quick Google search came up the the following link: POP, IMAP, and SMTP settings for Outlook.com

Going to outlook.com and looking under Settings/Mail/Sync Email came up with the same settings. See the attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outlook_com_server_settings.png
Views:	93
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	174566  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Nope. All single mobi files and none of them exceed the max size for a single or for multi issue to a group. If either was the case, Calibre red flags it and tells me the max size is exceeded. That hasn't happened with any of the single mobi files which have said successfully sent.
If you don't care to listen and try what we say, then hy should we try to help you?

I've emailed some eBooks to a friend via Gmail and they did not work. When I used ZIP or RAR to send, they sent no problem.

So just try it. You ISP is not going to make it so eBooks are allowed to be sent. Now if you sent the ZIP or RAR file and that failed, then I would go to your ISP and say there is a problem. But for now, there is no proble that they will fix.