Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Looks like medxman didn't investigate the CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS option - does anyone know what it does and what values it expects ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Looks like medxman didn't investigate the CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS option - does anyone know what it does and what values it expects ?

BR
It causes Qt to create its own file open dialogs instead of using the native ones from the operating system.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kovid,

I assumed that's what it was - but before trying I wanted someone to confirm/deny, just tried it to see the Qt open, delete it and native is back.

I wonder if it would solved medxman's issue, unless he's tries it we'll never ever know.

BR
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It might solve his immediate issue since that seems to be with the file open dialogs, but that is merely a symptom of a deeper problem, that is likely to manifest elsewhere eventually.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It might solve his immediate issue since that seems to be with the file open dialogs, but that is merely a symptom of a deeper problem, that is likely to manifest elsewhere eventually.
True, but it might have given him time to become familiar with calibre and demonstrated that he needs to reinstall Windows - in place or fresh - but at a time that suits him.

Never mind - maybe when he realises that Thatchers rule applies to calibre he'll come back and pick up the idea

BR
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
medxman
medxman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@BetterRed ... actually I did take a look at the FAQ/command page explaining the variables, but it just basically lists them and does not explain how to use or set them (the accompanying link just takes you to a general page for settings in Windows)....unless of course I missed something. ANd I figure when, if, I need calibre bad enough, I'll consider reinstalling win, but until then I have a work around (aka using a different pc to do the job). And not sure what Thatchers rule is (Margaret Thatcher rule of what's right??), but I guess I figure if Kovid the developer/writer of the software can't figure it out, chances are it's not worth the time to fix given the situation. Practical choice I guess. Thanks again for your help though guys.
medxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by medxman View Post
@BetterRed ... actually I did take a look at the FAQ/command page explaining the variables, but it just basically lists them and does not explain how to use or set them (the accompanying link just takes you to a general page for settings in Windows)....unless of course I missed something. ANd I figure when, if, I need calibre bad enough, I'll consider reinstalling win, but until then I have a work around (aka using a different pc to do the job). And not sure what Thatchers rule is (Margaret Thatcher rule of what's right??), but I guess I figure if Kovid the developer/writer of the software can't figure it out, chances are it's not worth the time to fix given the situation. Practical choice I guess. Thanks again for your help though guys.
So far you are the only one reporting

I agree, a simple example of how to use would help basic level computer users

You can use a BAT (windows) file to set the ENVIRONMENT and run Calibre

Code:
set CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS=1
calibre

(AFAIK there needs to be a Value associated with each variable. You remove the variable from the system simply by using its name: set CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Is this the old graphics tablet issue cropping up? Do you have anything like a graphics tablet attached?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medxman View Post
@BetterRed ... And not sure what Thatchers rule is (Margaret Thatcher rule of what's right??),
@medxman You may know it as TINA

If calibre worked for you with the env variable set then you could see what it can do, and have a basis for comparison with other tools. It might also give someone a clue as to why calibre crashes when using the native file i/o dialogs. If it didn't fix the problem then... we'd have to scratch our heads harder.

The alternatives to calibre that I know of are either device/vendor specific, or oriented towards academia and use PDF's as the primary format - eg Citavi.

I suspect the reason there are no alternatives is that any potential developer would take a a look at calibre and conclude - it'll take half a lifetime to develop anything even remotely close to that functionality, and then I'd have to give it away for nothing

BR
Old 10-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Is this the old graphics tablet issue cropping up? Do you have anything like a graphics tablet attached?
It is a specific BRAND: Wacom (and that may be limited to use with WACOM drivers)

I have a Genius Tablet. No issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #41
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You may know it as TINA
OMG! I think I used to go out with her!
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
medxman
medxman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@ mrmikel... no graphics tablet, but my laptop is a Lenovo X200 tablet pc
@ theducks ... ahhh yes, good ole' TINA, gotcha. And your variable trick worked!!! Thank you! Don't know why this caused the problem, but it worked!
medxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add book, close, crash