Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #31
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
But finally, I am just wondering what kind of motivation makes someone to attempt to use multiple libraries.

(some comments removed)

BTW, I like your Nav'i M&M Avatar
Motivation is mostly about keeping the different subjects separate. Keep in mind that some string search functions (basically regex stuff) can be set to operate on a specific folder and it's subfolders only. So something like desktop search can be limited to within a particular range of book subjects rather than searching the entire hard drive.

Now as to being blue.... What can I say, kit looks good on me.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #32
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Quote:
But finally, I am just wondering what kind of motivation makes someone to attempt to use multiple libraries.
I my case, it's because I'm marrried. My wife loves readng ebooks but wouldn't if she had to worry about converting, installing, etc. Further, there is about a 0% chance that I'll ever read her books or that she'll ever read mine. Our physical books are seperated for the same reason that I'd like our ebooks to be seperated, because looking through my books, or her's, is needlessly complicated if they're all tossed into one big pile.

Calibre is awesome and would be even more so if I could maintain seperate libraries.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #33
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is easy enough to keep separate libraries.

You can either switch dynamically from within Calibre itself, or alternatively provide the library to be used as a launch time parameter so that you have separate launch shortcuts for each library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
I my case, it's because I'm marrried. My wife loves readng ebooks but wouldn't if she had to worry about converting, installing, etc. Further, there is about a 0% chance that I'll ever read her books or that she'll ever read mine. Our physical books are seperated for the same reason that I'd like our ebooks to be seperated, because looking through my books, or her's, is needlessly complicated if they're all tossed into one big pile.
You could just add a tag to the books (Jane or John) then use the tag browser (luggage tag icon down the bottom) to just see your books or just see her books by selecting the appropriate tag.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #35
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

Calibre is awesome and would be even more so if I could maintain seperate libraries.
Do you share an email address? Do you share browser favorites? Desktop backgrounds? Downloaded internet pr0n?

Why don't you just set up separate user accounts on the computer. Just don't passwort protect them so wifey can then call you and say "here, install/convert/fix this book"

That's why I'm wondering ... if there is a NEED to separate stuff for two people, why not do it properly with user accounts instead of jumping through hoops with individual programs.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #36
AmenAmen
AmenAmen began at the beginning.

Device: archos 9
Hi,

I am very interested in this topic. Actually I do prefer seperate folder/libraries. It makes sense to me to keep my Comics, my regular ebooks and my architecture and design ebooks seperated.

I read both positions which are represented here. They both have valid points.

I have a suggestion to make, that might satisfy both sides without sacrificing anything.

The folder supporters just want a quick permanent way to seperate libraries and the others are happy with just tags.

So... would it be possible to add a few buttons to the UI that act as "master tags" ? By "master tags" I mean a tag that has its own button. Is it activated, the existing tagsystem would only search those books that have this mastertag. If no mastertags are activated you would still search all your books.
To further support this, mastertags are added on book import. The mastertags are customizable, of course.

I do not know, how hard this would be to implement, but I think it would make many people happy without changing the current workflow.

I hope this helps,

Jan

Last edited by AmenAmen; 02-17-2010 at 01:29 PM.
AmenAmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #37
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
One of the reasons that I would like to have my books physically separated is my use of desktop search software. This software generally has a limited file size or number of terms. (For instance, Copernic Desktop Search is limited to 2MB file size. Yes, I have exceeded this limit.)

By limiting the software to a particular folder I can focus my searches on applicable material without exceeding the limits of the software. If you have several fields of interest and have a lot of books on each subject, keeping track of a particular bit of information is a lot easier with the use of desktop search.

Nor does it return thousands of inappropriate hits. As I maxed out Copernic, I whimsically tried a search on what I thought was an uncommon to rare word. I got back something like 100,000+ hits. Admittedly, it had searched through every website, song, pdf, text file, ebook, etc on my system.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You could just add a tag to the books (Jane or John) then use the tag browser (luggage tag icon down the bottom) to just see your books or just see her books by selecting the appropriate tag.
I know, thanks Since I have no reason to ever show both libraries at once it would be very nice if I could keep them separated at all times.

Quote:
Do you share an email address? Do you share browser favorites? Desktop backgrounds? Downloaded internet pr0n?

Why don't you just set up separate user accounts on the computer. Just don't passwort protect them so wifey can then call you and say "here, install/convert/fix this book"

That's why I'm wondering ... if there is a NEED to separate stuff for two people, why not do it properly with user accounts instead of jumping through hoops with individual programs.
She has her own PC but, since I am the um librarian, I maintain both libraries on my pc for my convienience. I do understand that there are ways around it, but there is a reason to be able to maintain seperate libraries.

Last edited by Houndx; 02-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I know, thanks Since I have no reason to ever show both libraries at once it would be very nice if I could keep them separated at all times.

She has her own PC but, since I am the um librarian, I maintain both libraries on my pc for my convienience. I do understand that there are ways around it, but there is a reason to be able to maintain seperate libraries.
I use tightVLC or Remote desktop connection (XP_pro only) so I can stay clear of the "sewing room" PC
VLC has the advantage in the owner can see and interact with what you are doing. "See where the mouse is?" Click here...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote