Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the Popup?
Yes 5 62.50%
No 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
Ducks. It has NOT been explained and it has NOT always been there.

I'm sorry if you think you are correct. Since I recently updated my Calibre this annoying Pop up is NEW TO ME. It used to be a MOL silent install when adding books. I'd gladly roll back my Calibre to an older version just to get rid of this if I could. I just asked if we could HAVE THE OPTION to turn IT OFF. That's all.
It needs to SHOW, 1) Calibre can not do other stuff anyway. 2)Stops 'My Calibre is frozen' reports

All that changed was a New dialog STYLE

A) Switch to an earlier version
B) Run from source with your HACK
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'd gladly roll back my Calibre to an older version just to get rid of this if I could. I just asked if we could HAVE THE OPTION to turn IT OFF. That's all.
The process of Adding books requires exclusive access to the database. hence it has to prevent the user from doing anything whilst that process is happening, the way it does that is to display a progress bar. Some calibre operations do not require exclusive access to the database - such as conversion, PI's such Count Pages etc - that's because they operate on the book format files rather than the database. The dialogue boxes that are 'dismissable' are those that inform the user of something - most fall into the "Are you sure you wanna do this' category.

In order to prove your assertion that earlier versions of calibre didn't have the Add Books progress bar you could install the portable edition of an earlier version.

If you want to rollback the installed version then you will have to uninstall the version you have before you can install an older version. It will not remove your libraries or configuration data, but to be safe I would suggest you backup your libraries and configuration before doing it.

Earlier versions of calibre can be download from here ==>> Previous calibre releases.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #33
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
B) Run from source with your HACK
Oh now that's just nasty.

I'm through.

I do hope Kovid will rethink the popup at some point. I've noticed that he has not contributed much to this thread.

Or at least the pop up will get faster in adding books with the metadata.

It's like Windows XP and Windows 98 I guess. I'll just have to live with it.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 11-29-2014 at 09:52 PM.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Progress bar has not always been shown but it has been hidden MOL.
If that MOL means Money On the Line - then where's the line and how much you willing to put on it, I'll double it

Quote:
I've always installed Adblock Plus for Popups but sadly it doesn't work for Calibre.
Adblock is a browser popup blocker - calibre is not a browser, no more than your operating system is a browser

I'm beginning to think you're here on a wind up jolly.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-30-2014 at 12:40 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Adblock Plus blocks popups in the browser because they are ads. This is not an ad. I am not sure where that comparison came from.

The popup is a visual indicator that you are not allowed to perform operations while calibre demands exclusive access to the database in order to add books.
It certainly isn't there to artificially slow down calibre's Adding books process. Although there is a well-known concept called "A watched pot never boils" -- so I expect that is what is causing you to imagine it take a longer time.
Longer than what, I am not sure -- because there was never a time when you weren't stopped by some kind of popup.

I really am not sure what the problem is supposed to be.

Perhaps it would be better if that popup was changed to one that says "please do not touch anything right now or you may blow up your library"?

Quote:
I do hope Kovid will rethink the popup at some point. I've noticed that he has not contributed much to this thread.
Kovid always loses interest in "contributing" as soon as it becomes clear to him that he is/was dealing with a crank.
It would distract him from actually adding features and improvements to calibre.

Quote:
It's like Windows XP and Windows 98 I guess. I'll just have to live with it.
Mind explaining this in a more comprehensible fashion?

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-29-2014 at 11:06 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If that MOL means Money on the Line - then where's the line and how much you willing to put on it, I'll double it

Adblock is a browser popup blocker - calibre is not a browser, no more than your operating system is a browser

I'm beginning to think you're here on a wind up jolly.

BR
I originally thought MOL was some hack or plugin he added, but it might also mean "more or less" using obnoxiously annoying generic acronyms that could mean anything. Having to Google things like MOL makes sane people grumpy, me included.

But that pop up has always been there. ALWAYS. There is no way to disable it, it's purposely there to stop you from interfering with the database while Calibre is making changes to it, otherwise the database would get corrupted and frequently. It will never be disabled, it will never have an option to not show it. I don't know what you expect Kovid to tell you other than that.

When you're adding books, just look away from your screen for a few seconds and problem solved. Alt-tab to bring up another program. You can't do anything else in Calibre anyway while books are being added, all functions are unusable.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #37
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Come on. You haven't had that Pop Up window.
I have always had an equivalent. The layout changed recently but not the functionality.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm sorry if you think you are correct. Since I recently updated my Calibre this annoying Pop up is NEW TO ME.
It has already been explained that a pop up for adding books has been part of calibre for years, it is not new.

Quote:
I'd gladly roll back my Calibre to an older version just to get rid of this if I could.
Roll back to any version you like by going here.

Quote:
I've noticed that he has not contributed much to this thread.
Kovid contributed all he needed to contribute, quote: "that notification cannot be disabled, for reasons that have been explained many many times on this forum."

The reasons he is referring to have been explained many times over the years because this is not new.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #39
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Just my to cents. The window has been there since I remember. The style has changed recently, nothing else.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote