Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #31
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
EDIT:
To the moderator: Please delete this post. Upon consideration I realize it's not constructive, and that I've said as much as I could in this thread.
my apologies i misread your post
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is interesting since it should not be possible to actually place a 01 as a series index within the calibre library view. If you are working in a series column and place a 01 in the index it will automatically be switched to just 1 after leaving the edit box. This is possible in a custom text based column which is why I asked you if you have created any custom columns.

Do me a favor and hover your mouse over the top of the series column that was sorting incorrectly and tell me exactly what the lookup/search name is, see attached for example.

He was not asking anyone to delete this thread. He posted to this thread and decided what he wrote was not constructive. He then went back and edited his post, removing the non-constructive language and asked a moderator to delete the post (because he does not have permission to delete the post) so it would not take up useless space in this thread.

However now that you have responded to a non-post and I have responded to you about the same non-post I think we'll leave it in so maybe others who have also been confused can gain clarity.
not exactly sure where you want me to hover over with my mouse but maybe this explanation of exactly what I did will clarify some things

1 I added all the books from the series by clicking and dragging after click the add books to library button
2 they were out of order despite them being numbered in the titles and did not contain a series category so I highlighted them all and clicked edit metadata
3 I typed in the series name and just clicked ok
4 went over to series column and all of them said the series name this was correct with [1] next to them
5 Proceeded to change them so instead of *insert series name here* [1] they would say 2,3,4 ect. then sent them to the nook
6 noticed on nook they came up in the order i described 1 then 10 so i clicked the button on calibre to sort by series and noticed that calibre also sorted them as such
7 after searching for help here tried going to the numbered [1] through [9] and changed them to have a 0 in front [01] clicked search by series and they sorted 1,2,3 properly

curiously enough I just checked if the 0's were still there like this [01] and they are not so I haven no idea why they did not sort properly

Last edited by GoldThreader; 11-07-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #33
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
curiously enough I just checked if the 0's were still there like this [01] and they are not so I haven no idea why they did not sort properly
That did explain a lot and I'm glad you got that part worked out. The reason they were not sorting correctly before is because you were probably sorting on a different column, most likely title, but could have been other. Calibre will sort any way you want.

My default sort is to first sort by title, then series and finally authors. I do this sort by clicking the top of the Title column then clicking the top of the series column then clicking the top of the authors column.

At this point you might want to do as theducks suggests and start a new thread.

In that thread pick another issue (preferably just 1 issue at a time) you're having problems with and explain exactly the difficulty your having.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #34
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
That did explain a lot and I'm glad you got that part worked out. The reason they were not sorting correctly before is because you were probably sorting on a different column, most likely title, but could have been other. Calibre will sort any way you want.

My default sort is to first sort by title, then series and finally authors. I do this sort by clicking the top of the Title column then clicking the top of the series column then clicking the top of the authors column.

At this point you might want to do as theducks suggests and start a new thread.

In that thread pick another issue (preferably just 1 issue at a time) you're having problems with and explain exactly the difficulty your having.

Good Luck.
alright well I was hoping just to make 1 post and have them solved that way I couldn't exactly find a help forum here unfortunately despite the calibre website stating to come here for help you would think there would be a specific place for them anyways thanks for your help could you direct me to the proper place to post about the other issues oh and i still have that question do individual image files that are numbered in lets say a zip file matter when i send it to the nook and calibre re sizes them automatically and what not will it rearrange them based on whatever order it thinks its dealing with?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This IS the right place to ask for help. However it's far easier if you try to describe different problems in different threads, and are prepared to both follow advice, and to supply the info. that people are asking for.

Also, from what you said earlier, English IS your language. Please, could you try to maybe add some sentence structure, some paragraphs, some spacing.

I know I for one find it very challenging to read your posts, and, it discourages me from even wanting to help-out.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
alright well I was hoping just to make 1 post and have them solved that way I couldn't exactly find a help forum here unfortunately despite the calibre website stating to come here for help you would think there would be a specific place for them anyways thanks for your help
Every forum here (see attached) in the calibre section is a "help" forum they are just separated by the type of help requested.

I don't want it to be any more confusing for you so just ask your next question right here in this thread. In the next post state 1 problem you are having. Outline the problem completely, in full detail, as well as you can. Do not count on any previous post filling in the blanks. Hopefully someone will come by to help you out.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_forums.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	78760  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #37
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Regarding managing a "series". I have just gone through my entire library putting all my series in proper order...did it yesterday in fact.
It is actually quite easy and Calibre in fact does a good job putting a novel in its' proper series order if the metadata? is available and correct.

It did take me a bit of time and some errors getting started because I was used to manually managing my library as a Excel file simply for a listing of my books and I have always manually managed the series numbers.

Using Calibre I simply started with book 1 of the series in the "Edit Metadata" window and typed in the name of the series in the series drop box. Sometimes I prefer my own name for a series...ie "Daniel Leary Series" rather than "RCN"...The "number" drop box to the right of "series" should be at "1", click OK to save your work. That is the first book of the series. I select the next book and again using the "Edit Metadata" window I select the series I am using and click on the "OK" button when through. It automatically numbers it 2, 3, etc. The only hiccup is if you are missing a book in the order and add the next book...ie books 1,2,4,5, etc. Unless you change the "number" in the drop box to the correct number for that particular book it will automatically give it the next series number.
I also download the metadata, if I don't have it or I'm checking on an updated version, if necessary.

It was quite easy to do, but a bit time consuming, and now my entire library is in correct series order.

Make sure to back up your library once complete. It is nice to know if things get fubar'd you have a backup to fall back on.

As an aside I don't usually bother to respond to anyone that doesn't bother to use some sort of sentence structure, punctuation, etc. If you're too lazy or careless to bother why should I. But the replies from other members and your sometimes use of sentence structure, plus the nature of the series question made me want to take part and try to help.

Hope it helped.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Hope it helped.
It couldn't have hurt, but judging from posts 26 and 32 he seems to have resolved the issue with series sorting. Additionally in post 32 he does outline properly one of a few possible ways to enter series information.

Hopefully he can now articulate fully one of his other problems so we can help him get pass (1 at a time) all of the other difficulties he is experiencing.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #39
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by ASCII
An "ASCII sort" is when you see 1 first, then 10, not 2. That's what you reported. The opposite is a numerical sort - where 2 comes after 1.

Quote:
but if you ment leading 0 that the files be numbered like 01,02 and so forth no the individual images for each page are not named like that and would be ridiculous for me to go in and name each file
If pages are numbered with leading zeros, ASCII sorting and numerical sorting are the same - 01 is followed by 02, not 10.

You don't need to use the leading zero for series numbering when adding a book to calibre since calibre does a numerical sort on that column. However, you do need to tell calibre to use leading zeros when exporting the book and creating a filename with the series index if you want your computer to sort correctly because most computers do an ASCII sort, not a numerical sort of filenames.

My comments about image filename numbering inside the book were made solely to be sure we were talking about series sorting in the calibre GUI, not page ordering inside the book. I have seen problem comics and image-based books where the pages are out of order due to the image filenames inside the CBZ and/or CBR files not being numbered with leading zeros, resulting in pages out of order when read. I wanted to make sure that wasn't what you were referring to. None of those problems were due to calibre. They were introduced when the book was created outside of calibre.

Last edited by Starson17; 11-08-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote