Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It just means the the T1 may not be as fault tolerant as readers/apps. It's not the fault of the T1 if it's the fault of the ePub.
It's a little odd, though, if that is the case, given that all the ePub devices are using essentially the same "Adobe Reader Mobile" firmware to read ePubs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a little odd, though, if that is the case, given that all the ePub devices are using essentially the same "Adobe Reader Mobile" firmware to read ePubs.
That was just a guess. But then, the only way to be more sure is to actually see these ePubs with the issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
if the OP were to try reading those books in Adobe Digital Editions on his PC, that would be an interesting test. other pc programs like calibre, sigil book view(ers) are more fault tolerant than ADE.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
It just means the the T1 may not be as fault tolerant as readers/apps. It's not the fault of the T1 if it's the fault of the ePub.
So all publishers must bow to Sony downgrading their software's abilities? I like my T1 but it is not the ruler of the universe and should IMO be as good in any area as the 350 or the 300. Just laziness on Sony's part.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So all publishers must bow to Sony downgrading their software's abilities? I like my T1 but it is not the ruler of the universe and should IMO be as good in any area as the 350 or the 300. Just laziness on Sony's part.

Helen
No, it means that there is a fault with the ePub and that needs to be fixed before it's sold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #36
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, it means that there is a fault with the ePub and that needs to be fixed before it's sold.
Sorry I disagree. If the earlier Sony ebook readers can read it, and Sony for PC can read it and Aldiko can read it and Sigil can read it and the only common device/software that can't read it is the PRS-T1 then it could be that the Sony PRS-T1 is less capable than it should be.

It is like buying a frying pan that refuses to fry pork chops and saying that the pork chops must come from faulty pigs and the farmers should modify the pigs.

Helen
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have had this happen on two more books now. Once again they were both around chapter transitions.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #38
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have had this happen on two more books now. Once again they were both around chapter transitions.
I didn't notice where it happened, but I've had it happen twice recently, as well. I noticed that the font changed size around the same time in both cases.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #39
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
When my TRS-T1 is in page turn loop I sometimes see a rectangle in bottom right corner on one of the pages.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #40
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
When my TRS-T1 is in page turn loop I sometimes see a rectangle in bottom right corner on one of the pages.
You may have accidentally activated the zoom. This page has more info:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...true&mdl=PRST1

I've accidentally done that a few times; when I see the box at the bottom I usually press the Back button and it goes back to regular view.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #41
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
There's a example in this thread where incorrect tag nesting caused a problem. Is this similar to what folks are reporting here?

I agree that it seems silly that the T1 is pickier about epub formatting than other readers.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #42
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Sorry I disagree. If the earlier Sony ebook readers can read it, and Sony for PC can read it and Aldiko can read it and Sigil can read it and the only common device/software that can't read it is the PRS-T1 then it could be that the Sony PRS-T1 is less capable than it should be.
Nope, fault tolerance should not be endorsed. Sold ePUB's should be error free and according to specifications.
This problem is also seen with other formats. As soon as fault tolerance is being introduced as 'normal', the specifications are watered down and more deviations are created.

This is the reason why there are standards. If one abides to one, it should work on all that follow those standards. If there is a fault in implementing the standard, you have a point.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #43
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Nope, fault tolerance should not be endorsed. Sold ePUB's should be error free and according to specifications.
This problem is also seen with other formats. As soon as fault tolerance is being introduced as 'normal', the specifications are watered down and more deviations are created.

This is the reason why there are standards. If one abides to one, it should work on all that follow those standards. If there is a fault in implementing the standard, you have a point.
Not quite understanding your meaning.
Are you saying that the PRST1 sets the standard?

My T1 reads all kinds of ugly public domain books(poorly formatted, nonstandard fonts, etc.) and sometimes chokes on books that appear perfect downloaded from library or stores using ADE or Sony reader software.

My other Sony readers have no problem with these books.

Given the fact that many software glitches are still present on the T1 I think it is a little presumptious to put the entire blame on the epub file.

Helen
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #44
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
I've been having this problem with a number of ebooks on my PRS-T1, from a variety of sources - in fact, it's rare that I get through a book without this problem cropping up at least once.
I've found that if I go back a page, change the font size, and then change it back again, when I go forward I will then get the correct text. I just had it happen now, and I actually unzipped & opened the epub file in a text editor on my computer at looked at the relevant section and could find nothing out of the ordinary in the text or formatting.
This, plus the fact that others describe fixing the problem by closing and reopening the book, would suggest that the problem is not with the formatting of the epub itself - if it were, surely the "skip" would recur every time you opened the book at that point. Frankly, my experience with the PRS-T1 has been one of quite buggy firmware from the outset, and I can't say I have much faith that this issue is one that will be resolved.
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This issue is very rare for most people, and I'm surprised that it is so frequent for you. Have you checked that you have upgraded your firmware to the latest version? There were several issues with the initial release that caused frequent problems but those have been fixed. Maybe you need to do a hard reset or reformat the disk to cleanup it up and start new.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote