Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #421
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm on schedule, just, to reach my stretch goal of 150 books, though I need to pick up the Audible pace a bit to help out. I got in a bit of a lull the last month or two, and didn't see anything I wanted to read. But I plugged along and then stumbled on 14 in my TBR and that energized me. And I woke up to a new Solar Clipper book from Nathan Lowell, so that should take care of my day nicely.

On my secondary and tertiary goals of tracking books bought, amount spent, and updating my tracking list every week, I'm doing "OK", but not great. If I get really busy, I tend to forget to update the list, and once you fall too far behind it's hard to catch up. But so far, I don't think I've missed any.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #422
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm doing okay. Not as good as in 2013 and 2014, but that was to be expected since I found a new hobby. I know I won't be catching up in the last three months; in 2013 and 2014 I went on a lazy vacation in November and did lots of reading. I'm not doing that this year, instead I've decided my reading-vacation will be in January. Not good for this year's stats, but it will help with next year's.

The only thing I'm not doing well with is series. I've started a couple of new series lately without finishing ongoing ones. It also doesn't help that this year I've been reading a lot more stand-alone books than in previous years, or so it feels like, so I'm not making a lot of progress with the ongoing series.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 AM   #423
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
So now that we're at the 3/4 mark in the year, Goodreads tells me that I'm 1 book behind schedule to complete 200 books this year. I hope to make a bit faster progress toward this goal by selecting books that "read fast". That's generally a factor of the vocabulary and writing style of the author. My reading mood can also affect whether or not I'm reading a book slowly or quickly.

I've read 42,674 pages toward my secondary goal of 50,000 pages. (I set the page goal to keep myself from getting to the total number of books by reading short books.) I'm way ahead of the pace to complete 50K pages.

Stats:

Total books read: 148 (74% of goal)
Total pages read: 42,674 (85.3% of goal)

Format:
eBooks: 117
audiobooks: 12
DTB: 19

By genre:
Adventure: 4
Fantasy: 18
Historical Fiction: 1
Mainstream: 17
Mystery: 64
Non-Fiction: 3
PUF: 13
Romance: 4
SciFi: 25

Library books: 69 (+ 7 KLL)

Progress toward series challenge: 27 of 36 books

Eclectic Reader Challenge: 9 of 12 books/categories
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #424
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Wow, we're only 3/4? That puts me well ahead of my 100 book goal.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #425
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
By Goodreads' calculations, I am five books behind schedule.

I've reduced my "currently reading" list a bit to reflect that I am not reading in as many places as I used to; perhaps I will finish books faster when I am only reading three or four simultaneously instead of five or six.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #426
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have past my goals twice this year alone. Orignally 26k pages, I am now somewhere aroud 35k pages and approx 120 books for the year which is more than any other year that I have taken the challenge. Ihave set my sights at 38k pages and 150 books for the year, thankfully I have kindle unlimited those 150 books would probably cost me over $230 this year alone and so far I have gotten all that for $100 so far, in other words I have saved something like 60%.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #427
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At my current rate, I'm going to easily make my main goal of 120 books, but it's going to be iffy making my stretch goal of 160 books. Especially if I keep reading these monster books! But I at least seem to be out of my rut and starting to enjoy reading again.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #428
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I did nothing with my TBR in Sept or so far this month. I just went through my TBR and picked 10 titles. I'm not going to start any other books until I have read those; I reckon that's the only way I'm going to get anything done with my TBR
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #429
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I did nothing with my TBR in Sept or so far this month. I just went through my TBR and picked 10 titles. I'm not going to start any other books until I have read those; I reckon that's the only way I'm going to get anything done with my TBR
Just remember that your goal is supposed to be a goad to a desired end and not a straitjacket! (Says she who is behind on her own TBR goals.)

Selfishly, I'm looking forward to this, as I know I'll find some terrific reads on your list. To the detriment of reducing mine.... Oh, well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #430
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, I've reached my core goal today, 120 Book read or abandoned. Did it with a so/so book from Janet Evanovitch -- "The Heist", the first full novel in her new Fox & O'Hare series. Unfortunately, unless things change drastically, I don't think I'm going to make the stretch goal of 160 books for the year. A good sign that I set it appropriately.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #431
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Pohl always shows up on the lists so I read one of his for my age challenge, I believe it was The Cool War for 1981. It was alright, but not something worthy of being on those lists, so I'll probably try him again next year. Thanks for the information which I will check out. I think for my challenge I'll go fiction.
In my opinion, Pohl has written 5 or so good books. "The Cool War" isn't one I'm thinking of. The only one that really matters is "Gateway". Again, in my opinion.

The 5 which I definitely remember are Gateway" (1st book of the Heechee series) and it's 1st two sequels, and "Man Plus" and "Jem". But it's like reading Edding's. If you're not going to read "Pawn of Prophecy", don't bother with Eddings, hehe.. Well, same thing with Pohl and "Gateway".
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #432
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
In my opinion, Pohl has written 5 or so good books. "The Cool War" isn't one I'm thinking of. The only one that really matters is "Gateway". Again, in my opinion.

The 5 which I definitely remember are Gateway" (1st book of the Heechee series) and it's 1st two sequels, and "Man Plus" and "Jem". But it's like reading Edding's. If you're not going to read "Pawn of Prophecy", don't bother with Eddings, hehe.. Well, same thing with Pohl and "Gateway".
Yeah, the age challenge meant a few authors got shorted by not picking one of their best books. Pohl and Bester both got duped in my challenge so this year I corrected that with a second-chance author challenge. I fixed Bester, but not Pohl. Maybe next year.

I finished The Drum Tower by Farnoosh Moshiri to get to seven new countries this year. I've got big plans for more countries next year again.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #433
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished the challenge I set for myself to read at least 4 books longer than 700 pages. This was a good challenge for me this year since I seem to be mainly in the mood for shorter books (average length is around 375 pages so far).

According to Goodreads I'm 9 books ahead of the 100 books goal. I'm not sure if I can keep up with that, let alone get ahead more, since the busy time of the year has started. I'm certain I'll read less pages than in 2013 and 2014, but that's okay.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #434
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I hit my overall goal of 120 books this year by finishing up the audiobook* of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire today. However, my overall goal is really just a benchmark figure and the meat of my challenges is in my sub-goals, none of which is completed and a couple of which I'm behind the pace (although not so laggard that I can't catch up).

*My book totals skyrocketed starting last year, when I started to listen to audiobooks. So much former downtime could go toward notching more content!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #435
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hit my overall goal of 120 books this year by finishing up the audiobook* of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire today. However, my overall goal is really just a benchmark figure and the meat of my challenges is in my sub-goals, none of which is completed and a couple of which I'm behind the pace (although not so laggard that I can't catch up).

*My book totals skyrocketed starting last year, when I started to listen to audiobooks. So much former downtime could go toward notching more content!
Congratulations on meeting your overall goal. I understand your problem with the sub-challenges. I probably will not meet most of mine - but it was good to have the goals to help focus my reading this year.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote