Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #421
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
BTW, I had bought it the day it came out. I went back on Black Friday, and they gave me a $20 credit. YMMV, but it's worth a try.
I have always been happy with their customer service. Congrats on getting the $20 credit. I just ordered a cover online for store pick up... reduced by $5. Am liking my Black Friday nook purchases!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #422
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Only 2.4Ghz wifi.
Bah. Thanks. I live in a condominium building with at least 20 other WiFi networks in range, so the 2.4Ghz WiFi spectrum is just a wee bit saturated.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #423
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
I have always been happy with their customer service.
Me, too! I've always had great customer service from B&N, above and beyond, and better than from Amazon or Kobo.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #424
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Can someone tell me the actual weight of the device? B&N doesn't have it listed on the page, and I'm curious how it compares to my KA1. Thanks.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #425
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Can someone tell me the actual weight of the device? B&N doesn't have it listed on the page, and I'm curious how it compares to my KA1. Thanks.
My scale is telling me 7 oz.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #426
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I ordered one yesterday. I checked the better half's Nook STwG and there's only something like 350MB on the SD card, so there should be no issues.

The plan is to set it up with my account (we share a B&N account) and sideload all the same books on her current Nook so when she opens it, it's good to go.

It'll be weird having one in the house. I'll be jealous of the hardware and annoyed by the partitioning decision.
You may be able to get over that jealousy. Apparently Pocketbook is about to come out with the Touch HD 2, which (according to GoodEReader) has the same screen as the GlowLight 3 (like the GL3 it lightens or darken by time or manually). It also uses an IR Sensor (like the GlowLight 3) so it should have the clearer screen (like the GL3).

It looks like it will probably cost about twice as much as the GL3 but it does have a headphone jack for TTS and it takes a MicroSD card and it comes with 8 GBs of memory on board.

I don't know anything about Pocketbook's build quality.

Here's the news blurb on GoodEReader ...

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...available-soon

Here's PocketBook's English page on this one ...

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...ook-touch-hd-2

According to the site (above) it also supports mobi and has "soft touch" material.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-29-2017 at 01:00 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #427
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
My scale is telling me 7 oz.
Thanks.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #428
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You may be able to get over that jealousy. Apparently Pocketbook is about to come out with the Touch HD 2, which (according to GoodEReader) has the same screen as the GlowLight 3 (like the GL3 it lightens or darken by time or manually). It also uses an IR Sensor (like the GlowLight 3) so it should have the clearer screen (like the GL3).

It looks like it will probably cost about twice as much as the GL3 but it does have a headphone jack for TTS and it takes a MicroSD card and it comes with 8 GBs of memory on board.

I don't know anything about Pocketbook's build quality.

Here's the news blurb on GoodEReader ...

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...available-soon

Here's PocketBook's English page on this one ...

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pr...ook-touch-hd-2

According to the site (above) it also supports mobi and has "soft touch" material.
Thanks for that. That Pocketbook design is pretty ugly, but it sounds like a nice device otherwise. Though I'll likely just stick to my Aura. The GL3 is much nicer hardware, but the Aura is good enough.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #429
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks for that. That Pocketbook design is pretty ugly, but it sounds like a nice device otherwise. Though I'll likely just stick to my Aura. The GL3 is much nicer hardware, but the Aura is good enough.
I do like the page-turn buttons on both side bezels better. But this one has the GlowLight 3's screen and (basically) unlimited side-loading (for those who want it).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #430
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I do like the page-turn buttons on both side bezels better. But this one has the GlowLight 3's screen and (basically) unlimited side-loading (for those who want it).
Yeah. This is the sort of device that I wish I could see in person but will likely have to settle for a GoodEreader video. As I said, the device looks ugly, but the specs could make it look a lot prettier.

At this rate, if I were going to replace my Aura, I'd buy a $60 Glowlight Plus. It also has the same screen as the GL3 and I'd be willing to trade the night light for the waterproofing. No buttons, but then my Aura doesn't have buttons either. And even if the screen is fractionally less sharp than the GL3, it would be an improvement over my Aura.

But I will say the jump in resolution isn't as big a deal to me on e-ink as it is on a tablet.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #431
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I've seen the Nook Glowlight 3, not impressed. It's bulky, I have no use or desire for the buttons, and I'm not going back to a 6" screen (certainly not on a device with the NG3's physical footprint).

Of course I realize that's my opinion. I did not play with the NG3 much since the above was enough to tell me I wouldn't want it, but it seemed like a fairly standard Nook software experience. Some oddities, some good things, and a sort of weird clinging to android all mixed together to get what you see.

But enough of my bashing the device, it's not for me, obviously it's what some people want, which is kind of the great thing about multiple devices being on the market.

Regarding the limitation of sideloading via Calibre companion-

Couldn't you replace the 'my books' directory in the 1gb user loaded partition with a sym link (alias/shortcut) to a directory on the larger partition and then use CC to send your books there.

I recall that was how a user had worked around not being able to access your bn purchased books, though they had the sym link point to a created folder on the SD card (back when Nooks offered those).

It's my understanding that the reader should then look at the sym link, resolve it as pointing to the larger partition, and look in the designated directory. Yes you'd have to then store everything you wanted in that directory but if your concern is just storage space, well this -should- get around it. Afterall it's not like you'd have to look at the file structure to read the books provided the built in reader is then capable of reading them properly.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #432
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

When you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
...a sort of weird clinging to android...
What do you mean? I'm just curious, because when using an e-reader, I wouldn't know what base OS it was running.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #433
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
When you say:

What do you mean? I'm just curious, because when using an e-reader, I wouldn't know what base OS it was running.
Using it no, but with the NGP and onward you knew as soon as you plugged it in to a Mac that it was an android and it was running a version of android it honestly did not need to use. It never utilized the features added in those versions until the NG3 added profiles.

Well rather you noticed because of how Android and Mac did not play well, and then only if you were tech savy. Otherwise you just got a message that you needed to download an additional program to transfer things to your NGP.

I don't recall if the NG also had this issue, my old one is buried somewhere.

As to the NG3 and my comments, I just happen to know BN did not switch from android to anything else. It's not really a bad thing, just one I'm keenly aware of since it caused me issues in the past.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #434
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Using it no, but with the NGP and onward you knew as soon as you plugged it in to a Mac that it was an android and it was running a version of android it honestly did not need to use. It never utilized the features added in those versions until the NG3 added profiles.

Well rather you noticed because of how Android and Mac did not play well, and then only if you were tech savy. Otherwise you just got a message that you needed to download an additional program to transfer things to your NGP.

I don't recall if the NG also had this issue, my old one is buried somewhere.

As to the NG3 and my comments, I just happen to know BN did not switch from android to anything else. It's not really a bad thing, just one I'm keenly aware of since it caused me issues in the past.
Gotcha. I thought there was something you noticed when you handled the GL3 in the store.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #435
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
FYI - I have a Mac. I just plug in my NG3 with the USB cable, turn on USB mode on the device, and the Nook drive appears on my Mac desktop. No additional software (like Android File Transfer) needed! Must be a change from the NGP. I also use Terminal on my Mac to do ADB stuff with the NG3.

Yes, a symlink would be a way to allow the stock reader to access books sideloaded by Calibre Companion. I might go that route at some point. For now, I'm happy with my setup as it is. Not all will agree, but I see Android as an asset to the NG3. Granted that a device like this is somewhat limited in how one can make use of Android, but Android does give me a few options that I appreciate.

My NG3 just installed an update. Looks like mainly bug fixes.

The NG3's warmer light has spoiled me, I fear. I find my other e-readers just a little less pleasant to use after this.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote