Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #391
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
The Graham cracker was developed with the belief that it would curb sexual arousal.............Named after the Presbyterian minister, Sylvester Graham (1794-1851), who was big on diet regimen.

Last edited by Pulpwood; 02-05-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #392
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Thanks for the trivia, Pulpwood. : )

"Nerd [nurd]

The slang term nerd means an intelligent but single-minded person, obsessed with a certain hobby or pursuit, e.g. a computer nerd. But the word that has been the bane of so many elementary schoolers' existence was actually invented by their king: none other than Dr. Seuss himself! The word first appeared in print in Seuss' 1950 picture book, If I Ran the Zoo, though Seuss' 'nerd' is a small animal from the land of Ka-Troo, not a pale kid with glasses taped together."

Source: Discover nine novel English neologisms now

I am a nerd! lol
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #393
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm more of a geek than a nerd.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #394
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm more of a geek than a nerd.
I think I'm both really. I saw a diagram showing the difference between geek and nerd once. If I find it online, I'll post it here. It's quite interesting!

Last edited by trichobezoar; 02-05-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #395
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had to look, I saw one with three intersecting circles of Intelligence, Social Ineptitude and Obsession. I'm not completely Socially Inept, just partially and the Internet exacerbates that. Definite geek to part nerd.
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #396
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

There are an estimated 3,000,000 lakes in Canada. And more than 31,000 lakes that are larger than three square kilometers.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #397
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I had to look, I saw one with three intersecting circles of Intelligence, Social Ineptitude and Obsession. I'm not completely Socially Inept, just partially and the Internet exacerbates that. Definite geek to part nerd.
Hmm, the one I saw online was posted by a subscript programmer/student who was attending Harvard and it wasn't as disparaging as a lot of the charts/diagrams out there. If I find it, I'll definitely post it.

Last edited by trichobezoar; 02-05-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #398
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Here's a blog about the differences between a nerd, dork and geek:

"Nerd, Dork or Geek?

December 12, 2011 Emily Keller

Recently, my friends and I have been debating the differences between the terms ‘nerd’, ‘geek’, and ‘dork’. What make someone one but not the other? Well[, a]fter some debate and the creation of a Venn Diagram, I’ve come to some conclusions.

Nerd: This includes extensive knowledge of strange, specific thing[s] along with a lack of interest in anything considered ‘cool’, ‘hip’ or ‘trendy’. Nerds are intelligent and have extensive knowledge [about] their fringe interests.

Geek: Geeks are usually interested in technology/ga[d]gets, but there can also be specific types of geeks (Harry Potter Geeks, Apple Product Geek, Political Geek, etc.). They are also very intelligent and have extensive knowledge on their particular interests, like Nerds, but often this can border on obsession.

Dork: Dorks are identifiable by a lame or outdated sense of humor, coupled with an extreme lack of social skills. Dorks are often silly and enjoy fri[n]ge interests, similar to Nerds.

...I like to think I’m a little bit of all three."

Source: http://digilib.bu.edu/blogs/mugarlib...-dork-or-geek/

Last edited by trichobezoar; 02-05-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #399
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
The question is: Which of the three do you have to be to create such a diagram?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #400
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
In the original version of "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs" none of the dwarfs are named.

Source: Wikipedia
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #401
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
Here's a blog about the differences between a nerd, dork and geek:

"Nerd, Dork or Geek?

December 12, 2011 Emily Keller

Recently, my friends and I have been debating the differences between the terms ‘nerd’, ‘geek’, and ‘dork’. What make someone one but not the other? Well[, a]fter some debate and the creation of a Venn Diagram, I’ve come to some conclusions.

Nerd: This includes extensive knowledge of strange, specific thing[s] along with a lack of interest in anything considered ‘cool’, ‘hip’ or ‘trendy’. Nerds are intelligent and have extensive knowledge [about] their fringe interests.

Geek: Geeks are usually interested in technology/ga[d]gets, but there can also be specific types of geeks (Harry Potter Geeks, Apple Product Geek, Political Geek, etc.). They are also very intelligent and have extensive knowledge on their particular interests, like Nerds, but often this can border on obsession.

Dork: Dorks are identifiable by a lame or outdated sense of humor, coupled with an extreme lack of social skills. Dorks are often silly and enjoy fri[n]ge interests, similar to Nerds.

...I like to think I’m a little bit of all three."

Source: http://digilib.bu.edu/blogs/mugarlib...-dork-or-geek/
I have always heard that nerds are the ones with obsessions, and geeks have the fringe interests.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #402
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have always heard that nerds are the ones with obsessions, and geeks have the fringe interests.
I think it depends on one's socioeconomic level and geographical location. For instance, I live in a poor neighborhood in a poor city in the Southwest. Not much nerd-like/geek-like activity going on... In fact, being a nerd or a geek is highly frowned upon. Because of the few nerds and geeks around, we're all lumped together and called nerds. lol This includes socially inept people (i.e., dorks), as well. All I know is that I've been called a nerd since my early teens... and rarely, if ever, a geek. According to the bit of information I've found online, however, I'm both. *shrug*

I think it's all relative.

EDIT: Also, if you look at the diagram, each category includes the obsessive trait.

Last edited by trichobezoar; 02-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #403
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nope, it is shared between the dork and the geek, and specifically leaves out the one of the three that I heard is actually obsessive.

Same with the fringe interests -- your chart says two out of three, and I have heard the third only.

I do agree it is very difficult to actually agree on any sane terminology and it is mostly whatever anyone feels like it should mean at any given time.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #404
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
Also, if you look at the diagram, each category includes the obsessive trait.
Quote:
Nope, it is shared between the dork and the geek, and specifically leaves out the one of the three [(i.e., nerd)] that I heard is actually obsessive.

The section in the middle, labeled obsession, is the obsessive trait.

Quote:
Same with the fringe interests -- your chart says two out of three, and I have heard the third [(i.e., geek)] only.
You're right about the fringe interests... It's an imperfect chart! Maybe I'll create my own diagram based on extensive research someday. lol
Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #405
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Nerds, geeks, dorks; some of my favorite people!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote