Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #3991
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I did something worse than buying ebooks. I bought PAPER books. Well my Star Trek collection looks nice that way.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #3992
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I did something worse than buying ebooks. I bought PAPER books. Well my Star Trek collection looks nice that way.
My sister is also unwilling to divest the Star Trek paperback book collection. Which is fine - she has a bookshelf specifically for it (yeah, she goes to the conventions).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #3993
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My sister is also unwilling to divest the Star Trek paperback book collection. Which is fine - she has a bookshelf specifically for it (yeah, she goes to the conventions).
Can't blame her! I just can't let go of them. I have all the TNG numbered books, most of the TOS books, etc. And I like adding the new ones each month. I don't mind reading paperbacks now and then either. They are just too addicting and the covers and spines are pretty too! (Got rid of most of my other paper books. NOT the Star Trek!)

Last edited by PurpleStar; 11-27-2016 at 07:07 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #3994
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hi, my name is issy and I'm an ebook buying addict.

I haven't taken a meeting in a long time; I've been too ashamed. I haven't been able to read since mid-summer and one would think that meant that I didn't but any ebooks, either. Actually, I know the good people here get it,.

To survey the year, things were humming along nicely through May, but as we know, it's a mistake to become complacent. The summer months were a disaster, as I fell to various sales and Kobo coupons even as I couldn't read the books. Things have been more or less on track since October, except that I didn't make up for my summer bender and it's all been a net addition to my TBR.

Fortunately for my mental stability, unlike others here I don't have an exact count of my TBR. *shudders* But seriously, I'm insane. Why do I do this? The one grace note is that I'm still far better off than I was in earlier years of unlimited Kobo coupons, both in outlay and in accumulation.

I'm trying to do some sober stock-taking and fashion a realistic hairshirt for 2017, keeping my unfortunate weakness in mind. No ebooks at all, which would seem reasonable, would just be setting myself up for failure.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #3995
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome back, issy.

I wish it had just been a summer spree for me. There have only been two months this where I was under my spending target.

I'm going to try to be more controlled next year. And I'm going to try to practise for that by being restrained this month. I only have two subscriptions coming in this month. Perhaps I can keep my spending below £20 for December and make it 3/12 under target!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #3996
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Paul.

I've decided on two stratagems (so far) for 2017. One is to keep my purchase list for this year front and center, as a constant reproach and encouragement to be more mindful. Even if I'd like to read the books, there's no point if I don't read them.

The other is to slow down! My one resounding success this year was in the purchase of pbooks. I slipped in January and bought one, but that was it. I see a pbook I want (because it's not available as an ebook), put it into a wishlist at Amazon and walk away.

You've advocated the wishlist strategy for a long time and you're right. I have a most unfortunate tendency to think good coupons must be used and, worse, to see an ebook I want and seek out a coupon. I'm toying with the notion of having to wait a specific time before pulling the trigger. A day? Two? This won't work with exploding sales, but if the sale created the want that's a good thing. (An obvious exception is if the book's already wishlist, as you've said.) But it's amazing how less compelling a purchase becomes when you don't get it in that first rush.

Oh, and I need to show up here more often, especially when I'm doing badly!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #3997
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
3353 titles and adding each day. I usually watch for sales. Intervention time!
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #3998
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am not having much luck on ebooks.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #3999
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's too late!

No one helped me!

You are all to blame.

(Yes! Even you!)

Due to such poor support in this thread, I just spent slightly over $100 at Radio Archive.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #4000
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's too late!

No one helped me!

You are all to blame.

(Yes! Even you!)

Due to such poor support in this thread, I just spent slightly over $100 at Radio Archive.

Oh no, if I was to blame you would have spent 5 times that much.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #4001
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
3353 titles and adding each day. I usually watch for sales. Intervention time!
Welcome to the thread.

If you've already tried the suggestions in the first post of this thread, the only thing left to do is to go for a complete ban on ebook buying.

Don't look at the sales. Unsubscribe from offer emails. Just enjoy reading the books you have for six months.

I might resort to that in 2018 if I don't make my 2017 goal of reducing my TBR over the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #4002
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'm setting myself a baby goal of not buying anything this month. Since not-buying gets easier with habit, I'm hopeful that will get me off to a good start in 2017.

In fact, I shouldn't buy anything in 2017, but that's not realistic. I have to come up with goal-girdle that will constrain me without rupturing.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #4003
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Aaarrrrgggghhh. I just had a total meltdown and bought a good half dozen books, mostly audio. It was a totally unconscious action, I was already half way through the process before I even became aware of it. All were WhisperSync books, and in one case I was buying in the wrong direction, getting an eBook for an Audible book, so didn't even get a discount. At least the book was reasonably priced.

MUST get control. I've been really good all fall, and now this. Sigh.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #4004
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Aaarrrrgggghhh. I just had a total meltdown and bought a good half dozen books, mostly audio. It was a totally unconscious action, I was already half way through the process before I even became aware of it. All were WhisperSync books, and in one case I was buying in the wrong direction, getting an eBook for an Audible book, so didn't even get a discount. At least the book was reasonably priced.

MUST get control. I've been really good all fall, and now this. Sigh.
We've all been there, Charlie. Sprees develop a momentum and we get swept away.I need to redevelop my own powers of resistance.

At least at this time of year, we'll soon be able to draw a line under our annual purchases and resolve on doing better next year.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #4005
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm setting myself a baby goal of not buying anything this month. Since not-buying gets easier with habit, I'm hopeful that will get me off to a good start in 2017.

In fact, I shouldn't buy anything in 2017, but that's not realistic. I have to come up with goal-girdle that will constrain me without rupturing.
I need to do a better job of going from "purchased" to "processed and loaded." I've come to accept that I'm dissatisfied with the way most ebooks are formatted - I'm a perfectionist that way - but I've got a monstrous backlog of books I've bought and want to read which are just waiting to go through my cleanup process. If I were being sane about this, I'd steer clear of stores and acquisition and focus on that cleanup and preparation step, filling my device with the hundreds of books I already have in limbo. Instead, it's so bad that I've triaged my purchases into three grades of processing urgency, even though few of those are actually getting done. The piles just get larger.

I think that's one of the reasons I've read so many graphic novels recently. There's no processing step with them; I can jump straight from "buy" to "read" and finish even a large volume in a short time.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote