Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #376
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I'll see if I can find a current version of Mobidedrm and give that a try then.

I'm not sure I'm computer savy enough to use a hex editor but I may give it a try if the Mobidedrm doesn't work. I have a lot of (apparently textread) .prc's.

Thanks for the help.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #377
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From all I have read changing the string in the file will NOT make a difference; the decoding will still fail.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #378
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mobidedrm 0.16 isn't able to remove the drm either so I'm off to investigate hex editing.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #379
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
Mobidedrm 0.16 isn't able to remove the drm either so I'm off to investigate hex editing.

Thanks again to everyone.
Rather than editting the file, just change the script. You will find at one point where it compares data from the PRC to decode to BOOKMOBI; change that comparison to compare to TEXtREAD (or what ever the exact case was).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #380
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
Yes - It says TEXtREAd. Does that mean it can't be de-DRM'd? or that I have to use another method?

I also appear to have mobidedrm v 0.05 - do I need to upgrade? It de-DRM's my .azw files just fine.

TEXtREAd does not have DRM but is a different format slightly. It can be read by MobiReader but some other readers and converters may not work with it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #381
Jean
Zealot

I have been able to remove the DRM from my TEXtREAd .prc files and convert them to DRM free .mobi files using pdbshred (and microsoft word and Calibre).

Now I just need to figure out how to remove DRM from .tpz files and I'll be totally DRM free.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #382
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
There's something out there for the .tpz files, too. I thought it was on the same blogs as the ePub stuff...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #383
leebel
leebel began at the beginning.

Device: Kogan
mobi .prc encrypted files with no pid into Calibre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
These are probably "content encoded" MOBI files. These are encrypted, but don't have a PID. They can be read by any official MOBI reader but not by 3rd party readers.

The mobidedrm script is supposed to handle such files, since version 0.10. A good source of up to date info on such tools is Apprentice Alf's Blog.
I purchased a few hundred mobi (.prc) books many years ago and can't get them into Calibre 0.7.35 (that will ecentually get to my new Kogn ebook reader). These files all read fine using Mobipocket reader, are encrypted but have no PID. I've scanned these posts over the past week and can't find anything definitive or that works.

What I have done so far-

I've downloaded and run mobidedrm (0.5) with the PC's PID (god knows what I am supposed to use!) and I get "Invalid encryption: type 1".

I also can't seem to get modedrm (using _plugin.py in zip file) into Calibre: It says "No valid plugin found". I've checked and re-checked the file and it looks ok to me.

Finally, in frustration, I seek expert help!
leebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #384
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebel View Post
I purchased a few hundred mobi (.prc) books many years ago and can't get them into Calibre 0.7.35 (that will ecentually get to my new Kogn ebook reader). These files all read fine using Mobipocket reader, are encrypted but have no PID. I've scanned these posts over the past week and can't find anything definitive or that works.

What I have done so far-

I've downloaded and run mobidedrm (0.5) with the PC's PID (god knows what I am supposed to use!) and I get "Invalid encryption: type 1".

I also can't seem to get modedrm (using _plugin.py in zip file) into Calibre: It says "No valid plugin found". I've checked and re-checked the file and it looks ok to me.

Finally, in frustration, I seek expert help!
Encryption type 1 is an earlier (pre-2003 at least) form of encryption than is used for current mobipocket and kindle ebooks.

I don't know of any tool that will decrypt them.

Is there any chance of re-downloading them? New downloads might have newer encryption.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #385
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I think if you look in MobiPerl source archive you can find an older tool called pdbshred that can handle these early books. Grab the Mobiperl source and look for a pdbshred.zip file inside. In it you should find a windows pdbshred.exe file that according to others does work on those books. If you are a Mac OSX user and need pdbshred, pm me.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #386
leebel

Thanks PD and Kevin. Appreciate any help I can get.

I looked at the MobiPerl downloaded source and can't see any reference to pdbshread. Then emailed publisher (Performance Quest) but don't hold out much hope for support for the library of books (~2,000!) I purchased in 2004. At least they still exist, but looks like they have morphed into a mobile device service.

Any clues about not being able to plug mobidedrm into Calibre 0.7.35?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #387
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Any clues about not being able to plug mobidedrm into Calibre 0.7.35?
I'd suggest de-zipping and re-zipping it. Some services (or browser/service combinations) seem to add an erroneous CR/LF at the end of zip files, which upsets the Calibre unzipper.

I'd also suggest that the latest k4mobidedrm plug-in in from the large toolset is a better idea. (See Apprentice Alf's blog for details.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #388
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I suggest trying the stand alone mobidedrm from the tools_2.4 bundle. I'm afraid that pdurrant is correct that this DRM is not supported, but version 0.05(?) is pretty old - so it is worth trying the latest version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #389
leebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest trying the stand alone mobidedrm from the tools_2.4 bundle. I'm afraid that pdurrant is correct that this DRM is not supported, but version 0.05(?) is pretty old - so it is worth trying the latest version.
Thanks Wallcraft and pd. Appreciated. Got 2.4_bundle mobidedrm (1.3) and still got-

MOBI header version = 2, length = 220
Error: cannot decode Mobipocket encryption type 1

Also tried pdbshred and managed-

Invalid offset 1182 (49e) ? octets 5
Decompress failed on block #1 (-1)!

Bummer.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #390
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi leebel,

FYI, this is now an experimental version of a new mobidedrm program for type 1 encrypted files that may/should work with your books. Please pm me for details.

KevinH

Quote:
Thanks Wallcraft and pd. Appreciated. Got 2.4_bundle mobidedrm (1.3) and still got-

MOBI header version = 2, length = 220
Error: cannot decode Mobipocket encryption type 1

Also tried pdbshred and managed-

Invalid offset 1182 (49e) ? octets 5
Decompress failed on block #1 (-1)!

Bummer.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket