28th March to 31st March 3 4.35%
1st April to 30th April 22 31.88%
1st May to 31st December 2009 21 30.43%
Never! 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #346
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
@Verena:
Verena, if you really want the epub support that bad, try contacting Bookeen, maybe they would be willing to reflash your device with the Weltbild version of firmware. Of course, you would have to send them the unit. But ask them via email first.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #347
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
There is not one software company who I would trust to release something on that scale without some flaws the first time around...
Nintendo
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #348
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Nintendo
nah, I had to finish Pokemon on the PC emulator with some hack applied by users to get them all because on the ROM there was some weird bug preventing me to enter one of the rooms.

And, no, that doesn't mean that I actually admit to having played that at my age. What I wanted to say is that IF I had played it (which I have not) there WOULD have been that weird bug...
Arrrg, it's all my sister's fault...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #349
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
Not to spoil your day but there are a few things you might want to consider:

1) There will have to be a new firmware for existing Cybook users with mobi DRM (I really doubt they can ditch all their customers who already bought DRMed mobi books). This FW will - with reasonable certainty - not handle DRMed ePub (that might change when Amazon yields to pressure but I would not bet money on that happening very soon).

2) Whether a second FW with ePub DRM (and without mobi DRM) will be available for current Cybook users is not certain. Given that you could just take the Weltbild FW which will eventually leak into the wild, I expect there will be one eventually but we do not know when. Plus, you would have to own a Cybook with the new hardware and risk losing support if you put an unofficial FW on your device.

3) If they release an official FW for existing customers with ePub DRM I would assume that ePub support will be a little flakey at first and need at least one more update to get most things right. And that's not because I think Bookeen hasn't tested their stuff, it's just the way it is when there is a major change in the existing code (and ePub DRM is entirely new code). There is not one software company who I would trust to release something on that scale without some flaws the first time around.
I do not think this is the order things will happen in. Since they have a nearly finished firmware supporting folders and ePub that will be released. Then if we are lucky we will also get a version supporting MobiPocket but I would not bet on that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #350
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not think this is the order things will happen in. Since they have a nearly finished firmware supporting folders and ePub that will be released. Then if we are lucky we will also get a version supporting MobiPocket but I would not bet on that.
Since the Weltbild FW version already has a second build (with HTML and TXT working) they could simply release that.

OR (which seems more likely) they're working to include all the functionality of the original FW + the new features (folders, ePub, reflowable PDF).

IMHO it would make more sense, to first come out with a new version with added new features (non-DRM ePub) for all the existing customers and after that bring an offical release of the Weltbild FW (maybe with added non-DRM Mobi). So you can later choose to flash with the DRMed ePub version if you want to (not me)...

I don't think Bookeen will completely ditch the Mobi format and switch to ePub, destroying one of their readers primary features. If so, they could've (as said before) easily just released the last Weltbild FW build...

OR (he whispered mysteriously) you can take Bookeens SOLD OUT message as a sign that all new CyBooks will come with the already new FW...

(Maybe with enhanced hardware too and the new FW can't be flashed on older devices and... or... *eehrm* Sorry, I got carried away...)
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #351
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

(Maybe with enhanced hardware too and the new FW can't be flashed on older devices and... or... *eehrm* Sorry, I got carried away...)
Now there's a possibility .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #352
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think Bookeen will completely ditch the Mobi format and switch to ePub, destroying one of their readers primary features. If so, they could've (as said before) easily just released the last Weltbild FW build...
I suspect it is to buggy to release as an update. It works in a new product because people accept buggy firmware in the first version.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #353
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hi,

I have an answer from Bookeen support team about a week ago (no laughs, please) saying that they would have to brack of firmware with same features, one for ePub and another one for Mobipocket.

Ciao

Terisa de Morgan
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #354
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Hi,

I have an answer from Bookeen support team about a week ago (no laughs, please) saying that they would have to brack of firmware with same features, one for ePub and another one for Mobipocket.

Ciao

Terisa de Morgan
Thanks for the update on the situation. Did they by any chance specify a release date in the email to you? (again, no laughs, my naivety is incorrigible, I'm well aware of that)
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #355
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I sell on credit only tomorrow.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #356
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I have to agree. Unfortunately.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #357
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Notice: If they drop Mobipocket support and switch to ePub (ditching all existing customers) I will NEVER EVER again buy any product from Bookeen!!!

(Being exactly the kind of behaviour that forces me to strike a company from my list.)

BTW: I'm not saying the CyBook is cr*p or I desperatly need the new features (though I'm somewhat curious with PDF reflow), but it's one thing to provide no information and be late with releases and one completly other with making such a sharp bend...

And I dearly hope that this will not happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Aaah, there's light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully one can have non-DRM ePub support in the Mobipocket version (I'm not so sure about the other way round).
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #358
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Notice: If they drop Mobipocket support and switch to ePub (ditching all existing customers) I will NEVER EVER again buy any product from Bookeen!!!
Some people here would argue that the have never promised firmware upgrades so they are not ditching customers.

They will probably release two firmwares. The annoying thing is that since navigation when switching between books is so slow without folders I am really waiting for folders but they add new features instead of releasing folder support.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #359
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Some people here would argue that the have never promised firmware upgrades so they are not ditching customers.

They will probably release two firmwares. The annoying thing is that since navigation when switching between books is so slow without folders I am really waiting for folders but they add new features instead of releasing folder support.
Yeah well... No doubt *some* people would argue that black is white, slavery is freedom and war is peace. I don't accept *their* arguments either.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #360
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
OR (he whispered mysteriously) you can take Bookeens SOLD OUT message as a sign that all new CyBooks will come with the already new FW...
Yeha. I think that
a ) Bookeen want to sell Gen 3 with the new firmware, and not a beta version.
b ) They're going to switch to opus and won't sell Gen3 anymore.

Firmware will come when it's done. Stop the endless flaming, it's annoying.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote