Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #346
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Here is the newest update 1.7 20120326 with some new features.
It is still beta (RC). There is too many features wanted by customers to be added in ASAP that causes longer testing period.
Release notes will be published later.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/update-20120326.zip

Waiting for your testing responses
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #347
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It is still beta (RC). There is too many features wanted by customers to be added in ASAP that causes longer testing period.

Thx, Booxtor

Will try later today...

Folks: If you find something implemented/fixed, please spare the second to update the wishlist status (possibly mention the release version)

Cheers

P.S.: @Booxtor: Will you update your initial post with the link, or shall I link the new post in the Software wiki? (btw. - since I saw some folks complaining about bugs in 1.7RC 24/02/12 ... maybe it would make sense to mention in bold letters that this is an official BETA version, although they won't have to fear loss of warranty (in order not to shun them away )

Last edited by kodomo; 03-26-2012 at 09:13 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #348
abbacchioascotta
abbacchioascotta began at the beginning.

Device: m 92 onyx boox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf62L...ature=youtu.be

I do open a pdf with sheet music already scribbled by me and click MERGE but I can't find the modified one. Where is it? Am I mistaking?
abbacchioascotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #349
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
I can report that unfortunately none of the issue i found were resolved by this update.
1. pen refusing to write sometimes if one had kept it close to the screen during a pause in writing.
2. straight vertical and horizontal lines not being merged at all onto the PDF
3. white color being merged as black.

But i noticed the device responding snappier overall.

Last edited by por; 03-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #350
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post
I can report that unfortunately none of the issue i found were resolved by this update.
1. pen refusing to write sometimes if one had kept it close to the screen during a pause in writing.

Think about, it is just a minor update ( I wanted some features being implemented first just in order that you could see the guys from Onyx are working..).

Please don't repeat already described bugs or wanted features.

As soon as I get release notes you can read what has been fixed and implemented.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #351
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by por View Post

Never lose hope ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #352
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Think about, it is just a minor update ( I wanted some features being implemented first just in order that you could see the guys from Onyx are working..).

Please don't repeat already described bugs or wanted features.

As soon as I get release notes you can read what has been fixed and implemented.
This seems a good marketing strategy, yes. New features could be seen by everyone (unlike fixed bugs).

I'm not in such a hurry. Just wanted to be sure these issues are being worked on.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #353
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:

Regression:
- Power Mgmt. Settings don't show charge value anymore (useful to have a more accurate info than the battery symbol in the lower right corner)

Bugs (new functionality):
- exported (.txt) annotations now appear in current dir (good ), concatenation issue with some .pdfs still exists, but date part in file name is wrong (carries label of last month)
- returning from inside an application by long-press of return button does not close the application properly. Scribbles/annotations/etc. don't get saved, and exiting from Browser does not trigger wifi-question (-> wifi doesn't work anymore afterwards). Moreover, the screen is not fully painted in this case (returning to a partially drawn screen - at least with 'full update every 9 pages' setting)

Also I don't remember whether the bug (already in 24/02/12) w.r.t. the page bar was already mentioned: the page bar is sometimes drawn over the whole bottom side, then resized without updating the now-freed areas (at least not with my 'full update' setting).
Refresh functionality etc. is available, but the icon is hidden by the page bar artifact.

Last edited by kodomo; 03-26-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #354
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
The regressions do not sound very promising

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Also I don't remember whether the bug (already in 24/02/12) w.r.t. the page bar was already mentioned: the page bar is sometimes drawn over the whole bottom side, then resized without updating the now-freed areas (at least not with my 'full update' setting).
Refresh functionality etc. is available, but the icon is hidden by the page bar artifact.
To make clear what that means (already present in 1.6 by the way):
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	84581
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #355
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post

They're a bunch of minor details, but I think that future products could profit by considering them:

- reverse volume + and - buttons (scale increases from left to right... the buttons are reversed... not very intuitive )
- put plugs from which cables may protude to the upper or left side (figure yourself reading in bed or on a sofa with the device resting on your belly -> high chance for physical strain on the plugs, if you have headphones or the charger cable attached) (I actually already ruined a laptop headphone plug this way several years ago - creating a loose contact - paying attention since then )
There is an easy solution to this. Place M92 upside-down in the cover and set the rotation to 180 degres (also upside-down).

Direction buttons work opposite direction than expected, but it should be changed by Onyx (or maybe already is in latest 1.7 RC). I do not consider it a bug as it is questionable how the upside-down rotation should be treated.

EDIT.
Thanks to Onyx it is 'fixed' in current firmware (v1.7RC 20120326). Using M92 upside-down is now even easier. If you do not mind to have enter+4way button on left and page, home, return buttons on right, incovenience with earplug and unintuitive +-volume button is solved.

Last edited by Mono; 03-27-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #356
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
There is an easy solution to this. Place M92 upside-down in the cover and set the rotation to 180 degres (also upside-down).

Direction buttons work opposite direction than expected, but it should be changed by Onyx (or maybe already is in latest 1.7 RC). I do not consider it a bug as it is questionable how the upside-down rotation should be treated.
*lol* You're perfectly right - it even 'solves' the unintuitive volume button issue *g*
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #357
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
How does this RC candidate compare to the stable 1.6? I don't need lots of fancy features (such as scribbling, wireless internet), but would like to have a proper stable PDF reading 1.7 firmware, is this the good one?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #358
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Yeap people seem to have lost the focus here.
Most of us bought the ereader for reading and annotating PDFs and for exporting annotations.

@Booxtor-you can try to enforce a rule here: if the bugs are not well documented and submitted via the wiki page you do not forward them to the developers.
It is a little bit of tyranny in such rule but I prefer that to the now 24 pages of amalgamated messages about bugs and others.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #359
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Yeap people seem to have lost the focus here.
Most of us bought the ereader for reading and annotating PDFs and for exporting annotations.

@Booxtor-you can try to enforce a rule here: if the bugs are not well documented and submitted via the wiki page you do not forward them to the developers.
It is a little bit of tyranny in such rule but I prefer that to the now 24 pages of amalgamated messages about bugs and others.
Doesn't the wiki serve this duly purpose?
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #360
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I both heartily agree and disagree:

I agree that bug reporting in endless forum threads is a terrible way of handling things.

I disagree that the Wiki is the correct place to handle bug reports. While a separate bug page (I'd like to disconnect it from the wishlist) may be a workaround to the missing bucktracking system, it is not _really_ a suitable means.
There should be a bugtracking system in place, which allows references to specific FW versions, bug discussions, document submissions, official feedback and proper status information (closing the bug when it's eliminated).

W.r.t. feature discussion, I am especially happy, if annotation/scribbling/exporting workflows are streamlined - the rest is rather nice-to-have.
But looking at the wishlist, I feel that Onyx is putting the effort in the right place there (even multitasking is useful in this context). If I got the mentioned things plus multiple annotation colors, I'd be absolutely happy about the device. (I'm rather optimistic that some 3rd party developer may implement external keyboard support, if the hardware supports it )

To answer janek's original question: I personally feel that the strongest motivation to install 1.7RC is https support for the browser. The rest is a set of added small features (check wishlist) which currently come at the cost of new bugs. (It's a beta version, after all )
P.S.: It is usable, though

Cheers.

Last edited by kodomo; 03-27-2012 at 04:20 AM.