Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #346
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
thats great, works perfectly. may I ask WHY I need to download the firmware again? what does it do, considring its already on the device?

sorry, one more question. do I need do do this EVERY firmware update?

thanks in advance for the help
When you get your Forma, it won't have the latest firmware installed. When you register your Forma, you may end up downloading and installing the new firmware.

You need to download the firmware if you plan to patch it and/or manually install it. You do want to be running 4.20.14622.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #347
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If a firmware is already installed on the device you don't need to do it again.

Yes you do. Many (but not all) patches have to be updated every time a new firmware is released and you must only ever install the patches intended for the same firmware as is installed on your Kobo. All things being well, a new kobopatch pack will be released within a few days of each new firmware release.
thanks so much.

should I keep a list of the patches I am using so it is easier to update each V?

additionally, what is a use case for sideloading the firmware? cant the device do this already?

again, thank you for answering, and sorry for bombarding you with questions.
Scaledish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #348
Scaledish
A friend
Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scaledish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you get your Forma, it won't have the latest firmware installed. When you register your Forma, you may end up downloading and installing the new firmware.

You need to download the firmware if you plan to patch it and/or manually install it. You do want to be running 4.20.14622.
ah, that clears it up. you patch it on the computer and than sideload it on, correct?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #349
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
thanks so much.

should I keep a list of the patches I am using so it is easier to update each V?

additionally, what is a use case for sideloading the firmware? cant the device do this already?

If you do not sync you would need to side load the firmware. Kobo staggers the firmware release so you might not be getting it when you want it.

The patch system allows you to keep track of which patches you've selected to install. As I've not done that yet, ask for a sample of how to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #350
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
ah, that clears it up. you patch it on the computer and than sideload it on, correct?
Yes, that's right.

FYI: the firmware .zip file contains thousands of files but patching is only done on 4 of them. The local copy of the .zip file is there so that each of the 4 files can be extracted /patched/rezipped according to the list of patches you've enabled for that file. The 4 files end up in a much smaller KoboRoot.tgz file which is then drag-dropped to the Kobo's /.kobo directory. The 4 patched files will be auto-replaced on the device after safe USB disconnection.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-17-2020 at 06:23 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #351
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
Yes, that's right.

FYI: the firmware .zip file contains thousands of files but patching is only done on 4 of them. The local copy of the .zip file is there so that each of the 4 files can be extracted /patched/rezipped according to the list of patches you've enabled for that file. The 4 files end up in a much smaller KoboRoot.tgz file which is then drag-dropped to the Kobo's /.kobo directory. The 4 patched files will be auto-replaced on the device after safe USB disconnection.
ahh ok, so these are the steps?
  1. Update what you want to patch
  2. download the new firmware
  3. run the thingy in the patch file
  4. grab the result
  5. put it in .kobo
  6. delete the firmware because its taking up space on your system

also
Quote:
The patch system allows you to keep track of which patches you've selected to install. As I've not done that yet, ask for a sample of how to do it.
could I see a example of this?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #352
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Scaledish,

This is the thread you need.

The download in Step 2 is the kobopatch pack. Download, unzip and look at the contents. The kobopatch src subdirectory contains the .yaml files containing all the patches. Each patch has its own help notes.

The kobopatch.yaml file in the pack's root directory can be used as 'Mission Control', listing all your patches. Some people (e.g. me) prefer to only list the patches they want to be enabled. Others prefer to have all available patches listed in there with either yes or no against each patch. I don't have one of these but maybe someone else will post one for you.

To be honest, if you've never used an unpatched Kobo before, it can be difficult to anticipate which patches you'll want to enable. Maybe you should just read a couple of books before deciding what drives you nuts in the stock firmware Some patches are for epub only and some are for kepub only, so kepub vs. epub is one of the early decisions you need to make. Both have their pluses/minuses. Try both.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #353
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
@Scaledish,

This is the thread you need.

The download in Step 2 is the kobopatch pack. Download, unzip and look at the contents. The kobopatch src subdirectory contains the .yaml files containing all the patches. Each patch has its own help notes.

The kobopatch.yaml file in the pack's root directory can be used as 'Mission Control', listing all your patches. Some people (e.g. me) prefer to only list the patches they want to be enabled. Others prefer to have all available patches listed in there with either yes or no against each patch. I don't have one of these but maybe someone else will post one for you.

To be honest, if you've never used an unpatched Kobo before, it can be difficult to anticipate which patches you'll want to enable. Maybe you should just read a couple of books before deciding what drives you nuts in the stock firmware Some patches are for epub only and some are for kepub only, so kepub vs. epub is one of the early decisions you need to make. Both have their pluses/minuses. Try both.
to some extent yes, but I KNOW for a fact I need the games on beta
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #354
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
to some extent yes, but I KNOW for a fact I need the games on beta
Which doesn't need a patch, just enter something in the search or add an entry to the config file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #355
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes you do. Many (but not all) patches have to be updated every time a new firmware is released and you must only ever install the patches intended for the same firmware as is installed on your Kobo. All things being well, a new kobopatch pack will be released within a few days of each new firmware release.
Yep (although it's usually been under 12 hours). And, with the newest changes to kobopatch, even more patches should work on multiple versions, and the rest will take me significantly less time to update. Assuming there aren't any major refactors on Kobo's part (e.g. the September 2019 update), I should be able to update them ~10-20 minutes including testing.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #356
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which doesn't need a patch, just enter something in the search or add an entry to the config file.
It's devmodeon. The only disadvantage of doing it this way is that it exposes passwordless telnet and ftp, but that's only an issue if connecting to public networks.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #357
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
thanks so much.

You can use the Overrides section in the kobopatch.yaml file instead of editing each of the filename.yaml files. I also save those overrides in an overrides.txt file so it's doesn't accidentally get overwritten during an update.

Quote:

After running the patcher, copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo directory on your ereader and safely eject it.

I've attached a copy of my overrides.txt file. Basically just change the 'no' on patches you want to use to 'yes' and vice versa. Save overrides.txt, copy/paste the contents into the right spot in kobopatch.yaml and you're ready to go. Every once in a while, it gets updated when patches are added or removed.

“The only stupid question is the question that is never asked.”
―Ramon Bautista
Attached Files
File Type: txt overrides.txt (5.4 KB, 230 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #358
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can use the Overrides section in the kobopatch.yaml file instead of editing each of the filename.yaml files. I also save those overrides in an overrides.txt file so it's doesn't accidentally get overwritten during an update.

After running the patcher, copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo directory on your ereader and safely eject it.

I've attached a copy of my overrides.txt file. Basically just change the 'no' on patches you want to use to 'yes' and vice versa. Save overrides.txt, copy/paste the contents into the right spot in kobopatch.yaml and you're ready to go. Every once in a while, it gets updated when patches are added or removed.

“The only stupid question is the question that is never asked.”
―Ramon Bautista
thanks david! thats a big help
Old 03-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #359
Scaledish
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It's devmodeon. The only disadvantage of doing it this way is that it exposes passwordless telnet and ftp, but that's only an issue if connecting to public networks.
unfortunately yes, is there any workaround for that?
Old 03-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #360
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Having something else hogging the port works, AFAICT (but I haven't checked very carefully, as I hog that port with a... passwordless telnet server behind an inetd ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb