Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2023, 12:39 PM   #346
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster is a dreadful book. It's so bad that even the movie is awful.
It's hard for me to see why someone would single out this particular book. I get not liking it, but there are untold worse books out there. Forster can write and write well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #347
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You've all read about the book club that took 28 years to read Finnegans Wake, meeting once a month? They finally finished this past October.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/07/b...smid=url-share

And the punchline?

Spoiler:
They turned back to the beginning and started over. As indeed the text suggests.

Actually, I haven't, but I'm going to check out that link right now. Thanks!

(I read about 30-40 pages of Finnegans Wake when I took a course on experimental writing. It's like reading this: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", a chant that makes perfect sense. )

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-30-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: ADDED---
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #348
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I abandon roughly as many books as I finish and can't name any in the uncompleted read category that stand out.

One I recall finishing, despite great boredom, is One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology of Advanced Industrial Society by Herbert Marcuse.

An aquaintance of mine is a graduate of St. John's College, where every student is assigned the same list of great books. When I told him I would have difficulty finishing many books on the list, he told me he can read anything. I believe him and admire him for that (and other things).
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #349
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's hard for me to see why someone would single out this particular book. I get not liking it, but there are untold worse books out there. Forster can write and write well.
I found it to be an awful book when I read it. I did not like any of the characters. And the story was not good as well. Some authors do sometimes come up with a stinker and this is Forester's.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:45 PM   #350
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Actually, I haven't, but I'm going to check out that link right now. Thanks!

(I read about 30-40 pages of Finnegans Wake when I took a course on experimental writing. It's like reading this: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", a chant that makes perfect sense. )
The audiobook edition is about 29 hours. That's what I would do if I was going to read this.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #351
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My memory isn't that great, so I can't remember the "most" boring. Two that I can think of are Dhalgren and Bleak House.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #352
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

An aquaintance of mine is a graduate of St. John's College, where every student is assigned the same list of great books. When I told him I would have difficulty finishing many books on the list, he told me he can read anything. I believe him and admire him for that (and other things).
What a depressing list, almost all old and/or dead white men
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #353
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What a depressing list, almost all old and/or dead white men
The race and gender of ancient authors is often unproven, but agreed on the dead part.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:08 AM   #354
HGW
HGW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Sometimes you are just not ready to read a book the first time you try. After 27 years, you are a different person, with different tastes. Kudos to you for giving the book another shot after so many times not liking it.
Well said, rkomar.

I'm just now reading "Robinson Crusoe", having avoided it for most of my life. I got it from Project Gutenberg when I bought my first Kindle.

I must say, I don't really feel that I missed out on much, waiting all those years. It's readable, but so dang repetitive! If I'd picked it up and tried to read it, all those years ago, I'd have thrown it away.

But now I can persevere with it... just.
HGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:21 AM   #355
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The race and gender of ancient authors is often unproven, but agreed on the dead part.
That list is dreadful. There needs to be current/modern books and not just a list a dead authors from a time that has nothing to do with the here and now.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:44 AM   #356
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

A strange list? Hayden quartets, Schubert songs, ...
Old 12-31-2023, 07:50 AM   #357
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
That list is dreadful. There needs to be current/modern books and not just a list a dead authors from a time that has nothing to do with the here and now.
The point of St. John's is a classical education; that's what the students go there for. Why not? All schools don't have to be everything to everyone. And I'd dispute, strenuously, that the western canon has nothing to do with the here and now.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 07:59 AM   #358
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A strange list? Hayden quartets, Schubert songs, ...
Quote:
The point of St. John's is a classical education; that's what the students go there for. Why not? All schools don't have to be everything to everyone. And I'd dispute, strenuously, that the western canon has nothing to do with the here and now.
That fits better then just a "a list of books".
Old 12-31-2023, 12:25 PM   #359
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
We haven't changed that much since we first started recording stories. This is especially true for the human heart, which doesn't seem to have evolved at all. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, which is one of the most basic things you learn when you read the old classics.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:33 PM   #360
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Ah, thanks, that makes more sense of the list. Though still a bit disappointing not to see the Ramayana or Analects etc. included.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote