Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #34621
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I hate self checkouts. Here, they always have a line. Even if there's an open checkout within sight, people still stand and wait for a self checkout. I'd rather go to a person.
Honestly, I don't care if there's a line at the real checkout, and none at the self-checkout. I'm not ever going to choose self-checkout. Ever. And if that's the only option? I'm dropping my groceries or whatever, right there in the middle of the store. And writing a letter to the corporate management while I look for a store that values employees and relationships with its customers. Seriously, folks. What is the point of shopping locally if I'm going to be treated worse than I am by Amazon? At least they have one-click checkout! Or, in their B&M stores (Amazon Fresh), no checkout at all.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #34622
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I think self checkouts are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and would use them every time if only my local supermarket (200 meters from my home) made sure its self-checkout scanners could read my store loyalty barcode on its app. I often end up using the regular checkout because their app scanners do work.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #34623
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I too adore self-checkouts. My local CVS just installed one next to the counter - where there is never a check-out person because they are somewhere in the store stocking the shelves.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #34624
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The store I do the bulk of my shopping at is non-union and has no self checkouts. I do try to get everything unloaded and help bag stuff. If I take my own bags they aren't allowed to touch them, so I have to bag then. I only take my own bags if hubby is with me.

The union store closest to me has 2 full belt self checkouts and 2 express 12 and under self checkouts. I rarely use a cashier, because there is usually a line, and I despise how they handle my fragile stuff. Or they pack all the heavy jars in one bag so it weighs 20 pounds. Since I rarely do a large run at this store, it's self-checkout for me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #34625
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I make my decision on whether to go the self-checkout or a regular checkout based on which one is going to take me less time. For the most part, if I have 20 items or less and nothing that needs special attention, self-checkout is faster, a full shopping cart or items that need special attention, the regular checkout is faster. When I'm at Costco, I'll up the maximum items for self-checkout but the same rules apply.
Ditto. If all I have is a few prepackaged items I'll go to the self checkout. If I have produce I'll go to a cashier.
Also, if I have a lot of stuff I'll go to a cashier because they're usually faster than I am.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #34626
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I think self checkouts are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and would use them every time if only my local supermarket (200 meters from my home) made sure its self-checkout scanners could read my store loyalty barcode on its app. I often end up using the regular checkout because their app scanners do work.
The stores where I live have an option to enter a card number or phone number for your store card account.

What I hate is if I go to a store that I don't have a card with and they try to talk me into getting one. I don't mind them asking if I have a card or if I'd like to get one, but once I say no I want them to stop. I don't want to sign up for a card at every single store, especially if it's a store I rarely go to.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #34627
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have all my store cards loaded in the Stocard app on my Apple Watch and iPhone. I've had no trouble scanning the code on the watch with the scanner. Once in a blue moon it won't work, but you can enter your phone number or manually input the number.

You can't use self checkout at Giant Eagle if you don't have the card. It's probably the same at Acme also.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #34628
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
but you can enter your phone number or manually input the number.

Our supermarkets do allow use of the self-checkout without a loyalty card, and I often do if I only have 1 or 2 items, but even though it is possible to enter the card id number manually, a combination of my crippling congenital laziness and a covid-enhanced reluctance to touch surfaces unnecessarily means I seldom put myself through the excruciating ordeal of navigating through the onscreen menu to tap in the 14 digits of my card number.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #34629
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
So I found a semi-local radio station recently flipped to active rock and decided to check it out. And I like it!

But what did they do to the audio? It sounds like someone put down a speaker in the middle of a bathroom, turned it up as high as possible, plopped down a microphone next to it, then played the microphone recording. Really weird-sounding reverb and distortion, even on the online stream. Aging equipment, perhaps?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #34630
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I hate self checkouts. Here, they always have a line. Even if there's an open checkout within sight, people still stand and wait for a self checkout. I'd rather go to a person.
At my store, they were having problems with people with too many items hogging up the self checkouts. Manager is now directing them immediately to the regular checkouts. It says no more than 15 items- can't people count? There are plenty of checkouts (no more than one person in front of you) so I don't get it unless you are trying to slip stuff through unpaid.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:04 AM   #34631
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
We have the bulk of our groceries delivered. My father hates going to the supermarket for various reasons.

At the moment I go to the nearby supermarket twice a week. To get things the big supermarket that delivers doesn't have, get fresh products, forgotten items and products that we prefer from the them rather than the big supermarket.

Last year the nearest supermarket redid the store and installed self check-outs. They still have two regular check-outs, one I've never seen open (but then I shop when it's quiet). I like the self check-out; I usually have two sets of items, things for our household and a couple of things for myself. The only time the self check-out doesn't work is when you have fruit or vegetables that need to be weighed. They have a weighing machine at the self check-out, that prints out a barcode for the weighed product, but for some reason it doesn't have all the products they sell. The regular check-out does seem to have every item entered.

I really don't have a preference over one or the other type of check-out. They always have one regular check-out open, but it also serves as a counter for picking up or dropping off packages for shipping by PostNL. And that is always time consuming. And there are always seems to be at least one person picking up or dropping off a package, so it's quicker to use the self check-out.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #34632
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
At my store, they were having problems with people with too many items hogging up the self checkouts. Manager is now directing them immediately to the regular checkouts. It says no more than 15 items- can't people count? There are plenty of checkouts (no more than one person in front of you) so I don't get it unless you are trying to slip stuff through unpaid.
This used to be one of my rants. And that the tellers didn't enforce the rule.

I have a local deli that makes great grinders. The problem is that they don't have any kind of ticketing system or even an "order here" sign so you can form a line, so when the deli person calls "who is next" everyone looks at each other, or someone cuts.

And I do appreciate a good teller, but they seem rather rare. It is great when tellers open up a new line and goes out to the existing lines and picks people who are truly next instead of yelling out "can I help the next customer" and the last person in line goes.

I appreciate corporations that value their employees and relationships with customers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #34633
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
There's no item limit for the self checkout in my local store. However, for the most part people using the self checkout don't have a huge amount of groceries. Mostly people with a lot of items seem to prefer the cashier checkout.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #34634
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It is great when tellers open up a new line and goes out to the existing lines and picks people who are truly next instead of yelling out "can I help the next customer" and the last person in line goes.
I've noticed it makes a big difference if the person calls out "I can take the next person in line". Usually if they specifically say "next person in line" then the people at the back will actually let the right person go.

I like when stores have just one line. When you get to the front of the line you get to go to whichever checkout counter is open first.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #34635
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

I like when stores have just one line. When you get to the front of the line you get to go to whichever checkout counter is open first.
This.

One nice thing about Covid, one of my grocery stores implented a single line and had someone directing customers to open lanes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness