Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #331
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fingerprints! I can't bear reading my Kindle with fingerprints on the screen. It doesn't matter on backlit devices like my iPhone - although it looks a mess when it's switched off, when it's on, the backlight makes them invisible. With the front-lit Kindle, every smudge on the screen stands out and distracts me from my reading.
Which leads me to wonder...Will they be selling screen protectors, or is there a certain type of cloth needed to keep the screen clean? I have a screen protector on my iPhone that I can clean with an alcohol pad when needed.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #332
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Microfibre cleaning cloths work very well - the type that are that are sold to clean spectacles with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #333
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect entering a 25 character PW with the K3 would also be a pain, especially since the characters are replaced with a dot so it will be very easy to get confused as to where you were in the process. Oh well, you only need to enter it once per WiFi network.
Meh.. I used launchpad to type mine in for me
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #334
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Microfibre cleaning cloths work very well - the type that are that are sold to clean spectacles with.
I bought one of those glasses repair kits from the Dollar Tree. I use the cloth that came inside that for my K3. It works well!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #335
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I bought one of those glasses repair kits from the Dollar Tree. I use the cloth that came inside that for my K3. It works well!
That's a good idea!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #336
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is it about touch screens you dislike?
I don't have experience with them, so tell me how it works.

My fear is that they would be awkward to grip. As I see it I need to have my fingers off of the screen so I can read the page. Then I have to touch the screen to turn the page. It seems like a lot of grasping and regrasping. I guess I could use my other hand to peck at the screen, but one-handed operation seems helpful to me.

Also, I like the idea of using it one-handed with either hand. As I understand it, the page turn is only on the right portion of the screen. A small strip on the left of the screen is for page reverse. I suspect I would really have to stretch my grip to turn pages one-handed with my left hand.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #337
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I had the Nook Touch and found that I kept accidentally changing pages when I touched the screen. Even if I dont mean to touch the screen, it just happens. After a while the screen did get dirty, but that doesn't bother me as much.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #338
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Also, I like the idea of using it one-handed with either hand. As I understand it, the page turn is only on the right portion of the screen. A small strip on the left of the screen is for page reverse. I suspect I would really have to stretch my grip to turn pages one-handed with my left hand.
While true for some other readers, the Kindle Touch is doing something else. You can use it one handed without needing to stretch or have gigantic hands. I think it's like tap on the side to swap page and swipe to go back.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #339
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
While true for some other readers, the Kindle Touch is doing something else. You can use it one handed without needing to stretch or have gigantic hands....
Yeah, that caught my eye as well. Not your regular tap or swipe to turn pages. They actually thought about how people use touch screen readers and the shortcoming when trying to use one hand.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #340
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I can't remember where ('cos I've been reading a lot of K4 articles), but I read that the cover is powered by the Kindle through contacts on the back. I assume these are the contacts

I think that if there had been a lighted case for the non-touch K4, I might have picked that up. I use my light (in my K3 lighted-case) almost every time I read, and I would hate to have to give it up.

ETA: the new lighted cover is definitely powered from the Kindle, the product description pages make that clear, I'm just trying to clarify the way the connection is made, now that the hinges are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There are no slots in the side of the K4. I noticed on the Amazon website that the new covers use a plastic saddle-like mechanism to hold the K4 in place. I assume that somehow connects the K4 power to the cover light.
Thanks. I see the contacts on the back of the non-touch as well as the touch in pictures. At first I thought the cover wasn't available for the non-touch as it wasn't listed as one of the main accessories (just the non-lighted cover), but I see its on their page as a suggested option - just not available until the end of November (in the UK).

The Amazon lighted cover is definitely powered by the Kindle. The new one also mentions its powered from the Kindle. I really like this idea as I dislike having to attach or carry a light around - depending on the room's light, a book light makes it much easier to read on the Kindle. Replacing batteries and the gradual dimming of the light are another reason I'm looking for a Kindle powered light. The new design on the lighted cover looks great, but I'll have to try one out to see how it looks, how bright it is, and how much it weighs. I'm hoping they reduced the weight of the cover as the did the Kindle itself. I also wonder how this one will lock closed.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #341
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Well my K4 has just shipped!

I paid for shipping but it was shipped via Fed Ex Smartpost!

I had hoped for UPS. When did Amazon start using Smartpost for paid shipping?

I guess I should be glad it's not UPS Basic. I've lost stuff when it's shipped that way.

Ha! I succombed and ordered one too! And, like you, I'm now trying to decide whether to sell my K3 to help offset the cost, or go ahead and donate it to that Kindles for Troops program. (Sigh.) I'd really like to donate, but I'm short on moolah, so selling the K3 would really help. I'm leaning towards donating though.

BTW, mine shipped via UPS (should be delivered tomorrow). I didn't know about Amazon using FedEx Smartpost either... Hopefully it'll still come quickly for you!
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #342
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Touching the screen.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #343
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Ha! I succombed and ordered one too! And, like you, I'm now trying to decide whether to sell my K3 to help offset the cost, or go ahead and donate it to that Kindles for Troops program. (Sigh.) I'd really like to donate, but I'm short on moolah, so selling the K3 would really help. I'm leaning towards donating though.

BTW, mine shipped via UPS (should be delivered tomorrow). I didn't know about Amazon using FedEx Smartpost either... Hopefully it'll still come quickly for you!
Yeah they do for free shipping but I paid for mine. I have had okay luck with Smartpost it's just not as quick as I like. It's UPS Basic where the Post Office delivers in the final step that I never been able to get to work. It seems once the package is drop off at the Post office depot in JC it just disappears. Smartpost is makes it to my local Post Office so it usually makes it here fine.

Congrats on your new Kindle! I've been thinking if I love the NT so much I may just cancel my pre-order on the touch and wait awhile and keep my K3. Decisions, Decisions...

Edit: I just checked and it's in Georgia so it's on it's way!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #344
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Yeah they do for free shipping but I paid for mine. I have had okay luck with Smartpost it's just not as quick as I like. It's UPS Basic where the Post Office delivers in the final step that I never been able to get to work. It seems once the package is drop off at the Post office depot in JC it just disappears. Smartpost is makes it to my local Post Office so it usually makes it here fine.

Congrats on your new Kindle! I've been thinking if I love the NT so much I may just cancel my pre-order on the touch and wait awhile and keep my K3. Decisions, Decisions...

Edit: I just checked and it's in Georgia so it's on it's way!
Hmmm, I paid for one day shipping (I have Amz Prime) and it's still coming UPS. Maybe it has to do with the delivery location.

In any case, glad to hear yours in close by. Mine is too; right across the river, so there should be any probs with receiving it tomorrow!

I've just finished saying kind words to my K3, so it won't feel that I'm abandoning it.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #345
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Didn't say I disliked or hated them, just that I'm not overly impressed with them. It's not a must have feature for me. Fingerprints are a pain and I just prefer an actual page turn button.

Oh, and this is OT, but I really like your avatar.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote