Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2023, 10:08 PM   #31636
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am both reading and listening to Moby Dick and it is lasting forever!!! I like the story, but yeah, there are sections that are mind numbing after awhile. About 3/4 through.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #31637
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've heard that about Moby Dick :/ One day I may read it but it's never been high on my list
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2023, 02:38 AM   #31638
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee.
Which was well written, but I have very little sympathy for the absolute idiot of a main character (i.e. the author), who seems to have no sense and few morals.

Next up: The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, ranslated into modern English by Nevill Coghill. I'm actualy only reading two tales at this point: The Prioress's Tale and The Franklin's Tale for a book club.

I haven't got very far into the first, but it's starting out as a very unpleasant anti-semitic tale, and I fear it's going to carry on that way. I'm unsurprised that it's not as popular as The Wife of Bath's Tale.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:22 AM   #31639
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I've just finished the second annual (D'Oh!) Dean Street December, a fun way to wrap the year.
My 15 DSD books this year
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:04 AM   #31640
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, ranslated into modern English by Nevill Coghill. I'm actualy only reading two tales at this point: The Prioress's Tale and The Franklin's Tale for a book club.

I haven't got very far into the first, but it's starting out as a very unpleasant anti-semitic tale, and I fear it's going to carry on that way. I'm unsurprised that it's not as popular as The Wife of Bath's Tale.
The Prioress's Tale is indeed a very unpleasant anti-semitic tale, very much of its time.

The Franklin's Tale is a romance with a happy ending for everyone. Unexpected!

Next up: Season of the Raven by Denise Domning. A freebie I picked up in 2016.
Advert
Old 12-18-2023, 03:26 AM   #31641
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Season of the Raven by Denise Domning. A freebie I picked up in 2016.
Oddly, set just a few years before Chaucer, in 1100s England.

Interesting enough that I'm moving straight on to the second book:

Season of the Fox by Denise Domning
Old 12-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #31642
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Short and extraordinary stories by Bioy & Borges

Just a sample:

The king's awakening

French agents in Canada, after the defeat of their arms, in 1753, spread among the Indians the information that the king of France had fallen asleep for the last few years, but that he had just awakened and that his first words were: "We must immediately expel the English who have entered the country of my red sons." The news spread throughout the continent and was one of the causes of the famous Pontiac conspiracy.
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 02:42 AM   #31643
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Interesting enough that I'm moving straight on to the second book:

Season of the Fox by Denise Domning
And I liked that one enought to go straight onto the third, Lost Innocents, and then to buy the fourth and fifth, so now starting

The Final Toll by Denise Domning
Old 12-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #31644
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
And I liked that one enought to go straight onto the third, Lost Innocents, and then to buy the fourth and fifth, so now starting

Getting those last few purchases in?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:42 AM   #31645
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Well, yes.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #31646
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Well, yes.
If its not in the book buying addicts thread, it doesn't count, right?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #31647
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Christmas Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Yep, sure am! I just ordered, for overnight delivery from amazon, everything still on my wife's Amazon wish list.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 05:04 AM   #31648
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks to the Kobo Gift Card deal, I got this from my wishlist today, after more than a year. "Zero Line Par Gulzar", a biography of the poet and lyricist. On the plus side, Kobo's made HUGE improvements to the readability of its Hindi by ditching whatever arcane proprietary font it was using, so that it looks great in Arial Unicode MS, as here. It's one of VERY few books that looks better in Nickel than KOReader for me.

On the downside, seeing a glossary of Urdu words translated into Hindi tells me this book will take me all 2024 to finish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	205402  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-25-2023 at 05:08 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 07:26 AM   #31649
Areeba
Areeba began at the beginning.

Device: None
Just finished reading The Archer by Paulo Cohelo. It was a short book, got done with it in one sitting.
Areeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:08 PM   #31650
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Which was also fun, so I went straight on to Caught Red Handed.

Overall, they were fun. But I was a bit disappointed by one supernatural element in the last volume.

Next I read The Last Sherlock Homes Story by Michael Dibden. Brilliant!

Now I'm reading the Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-25-2023 at 03:17 PM.