Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #301
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Doreen and Ep

Publication standards have changed a lot since those days. I still wonder how Stephanie Meyer got published, considering, IMO, those aren't real vampires in her story, but some other type of creatures. A friend of mine in the publishing industry told me that agents and publishers care more about money before the art aspect of a book. This article might interest both of you.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...writers_b10406
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #302
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Im probably going to catch a lot of flack for this but the most boring book I ever read was 'The Hobbit'. The most boring ones I ever attempted to read, 'The Vampire Chronicles', 'The Lord Of The Rings' and now 'Wheel Of Time'. Ive attempted to read the first book in each of these series and every time made it pretty far in but they never cease to stop boring me. 'Twilight', while it may stink, has usually kept me awake while Im reading it. These have put me to sleep.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #303
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
My prize goes to Heinlein and his "Number of the beast" book. I still don't know if that book had a point and I read almost the entire book. Masochism at its best.
Funny I thought the first two parts of that book were amazing. It was only when Heinlein started bringing in all his characters from prior books that I thought the whole thing fell apart. I found it was like he suddenly didn't know what to do with the story so just stuck in the old characters to have an ending. Granted, one that sucked, but an ending. It was one of the biggest disappointment books I've ever read, since it began with a bang and ended with a whimper.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #304
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There were a bunch of forced reads in high school that were mighty boring, but I can't remember them anymore. The most boring thing I read recently was Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott. I will concede that it was a sequel to a book I hadn't read, something I didn't realize when I checked the ebook out of the library. But it was so boring. When I finished it, I was pissed that I wasted a couple of hours of my life on it. I kept reading, waiting for something to happen, and it just never did.

-Marcy
Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #305
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Re: The Number of the Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Funny I thought the first two parts of that book were amazing ... began with a bang and ended with a whimper.
For me it was just the first 30 pages. I read those and thought Wow! ... but then ... nothing. So much potential and so little realised - which was the way it was for a great many of his books I thought.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #306
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although it was considered to be a classic, The Old Man and the Sea didn't work for me.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #307
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
There were a bunch of forced reads in high school that were mighty boring, but I can't remember them anymore.
_The Last of the Mohicans_

Was a book I was supposed to read on the high school summer reading list. I don't remember the book at all other than it was sooo boring. Of course, I am sure my tastes have changed from when I was 13.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #308
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
_The Last of the Mohicans_

Was a book I was supposed to read on the high school summer reading list. I don't remember the book at all other than it was sooo boring. Of course, I am sure my tastes have changed from when I was 13.

BOb

"Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses" by Mark Twain, 1895
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #309
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
Although it was considered to be a classic, The Old Man and the Sea didn't work for me.
Me either! I didn't remember it at the time of my first post, but your post brought the memories back. I can still remember thinking at the time, 'Wow, man goes fishing, man caught a fish, man lost a fish, man goes home—a whole book that I could tell in a sentence'.

We had to read it in 8th grade so perhaps I'd get more of the supposed wonderfulness now, but the memory is so distasteful that it won't be happening. I have over 1000 unread books that actually seemed interesting to me anyway.

-Marcy
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #310
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Having looked through this thread I find it incredible that "American Physco" by Bret Easton Ellis hasnt already been mentioned.
It is without doubt the most boring book I have ever read, what with the constant description of clothes and the designer gear that everyone was wearing just drove me mad
I thought Psycho was a good read...but a lot if it is dry and satirical...it can make one go crazy...his description of some of the horrid music of the 80s is funny I'd say...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #311
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Angels and Demons - I fell asleep with that one every time .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #312
Russell Brooks
Fanatic

Quote:
Me either! I didn't remember it at the time of my first post, but your post brought the memories back. I can still remember thinking at the time, 'Wow, man goes fishing, man caught a fish, man lost a fish, man goes home—a whole book that I could tell in a sentence'.

We had to read it in 8th grade so perhaps I'd get more of the supposed wonderfulness now, but the memory is so distasteful that it won't be happening. I have over 1000 unread books that actually seemed interesting to me anyway.

-Marcy
How about that! I had to read that story in grade 8 too. I gave it a bad review, and my teacher laughed when he read it. He accepted that I didn't like the story. I'm sorry, I cannot relate to stories where nothing really happens, unless it's an episode of Seinfeld.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #313
Russell Brooks
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Angels and Demons - I fell asleep with that one every time .....
It didn't put me to sleep, but I admit I had a WTF moment when Robert Langdon jumped from a helicopter with nothing more than a tarp and survived.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #314
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Roots too, that bored me. Then again I tried that one in high school when I was big into reading sci-fi so that might be half the problem.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #315
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Not the most boring, but the worst book that I have ever read was the first Saint book - called (as I recall) The Saint Meets the Tiger.

Really surprised that a publisher gave it the green light. Also surprising that Leslie Charteris developed into a readable and fun author.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote