Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 12:22 AM   #3046
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I would agree, David Case is a favourite, but perhaps not for books with a female protagonist. For those, I want Donada Peters.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #3047
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm in the middle of "The Turing Exception," book 4 of William Hertling's Singularity series.
It has a female lead, and it's read by Jane Cramer, who I find perfectly acceptable.
I'm enjoying the book at a 'meh' level. I'll finish it, and I feel slightly invested in the story, but it's not nearly as enjoyable as the first book in the series was. I liked each sequel less than the previous book.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #3048
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Actually, large sections of Mandelbaum Gate feature male characters. However, after finishing it yesterday I really cannot recommend the book; overall, it was quite tedious.

I've returned to Woolf's Night and Day, which though not very exciting has solid narration by Juliet Stevenson.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #3049
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up Battle Ground by Jim Butcher, narrated by James Marsters. Very good and highly recommended. I always seem to pick up different things listening to a book than when I read the eBook. As much as I like the text, listening to someone like Marsters really adds, kind of like chocolate icing on a chocolate cake.

Next up is The Sword by Stirling and Drake, the last of the General series, read by Franklin Pierson. I've enjoyed the rest of the series, also narrated by Pierson. Maybe not quite at Marsters' standard, but that's a pretty high standard. I put Marsters reading of the Dresden Files up there with Jim Dale reading the Harry Potter books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #3050
GeoffTester
GeoffTester began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite3
We are Legion, (We are Bob)
The Bobiverse Book 1.

My goodness, I was not expecting much but my goodness I was wrong.
I am glad I have enough credits [audible] to buy the rest of the series!

I have just finished book 1 and am very much looking forward to books 2->4.
GeoffTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #3051
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffTester View Post
The Bobiverse Book 1.

I know, right? I just finished book 4 a few weeks ago. They are all good, though I must say book 4 was my least favorite. Book one was truly exceptional.

I wonder if that "Send a book" one-time free book offer is still on? If it applies to you and you want to try to save a credit by having me "recommend" book four to you, send me a PM.

Last edited by ApK; 02-07-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:01 AM   #3052
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffTester View Post
The Bobiverse Book 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I know, right? I just finished book 4 a few weeks ago. They are all good, though I must say book 4 was my least favorite. Book one was truly exceptional.

I wonder if that "Send a book" one-time free book offer is still on? If it applies to you and you want to try to save a credit by having me "recommend" book four to you, send me a PM.
Book 1 was completely unexpected and wonderful. For me, it went down hill from there and I think I stopped at #3.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #3053
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I recently listened to Anatomy of a Murder by Robert Traver, narrated by Jason Culp. This book is the source of the notable Otto Preminger movie starring the great Jimmy Stewart.

I have a hardcover copy of this book on my shelves, but I'm not sure if I ever read it berfore; however, I've seen the film many times. With a few exceptions, the movie follows the book quite closely, and Jason Culp does a good job here with the voices--not imitating Jimmy Stewart and the other actors who are so familiar to me, but not voicing the dialog in a way that's jarring, either. (I didn't plan it that way but Jason Culp narrated three of the last four books I listened to!)

What must have been quite sensational back in the day (1958) now doesn't even rate a raised eyebrow. But it's still a good, interesting story.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #3054
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve been on a Trollope kick for the past few years and I’m listening to a lesser-known novel, The Claverings, read by Nigel Paterson. While plotwise this novel is no great shakes, the characterizations are marvelous, up with Trollope’s best. Paterson while no Timothy West, the best Trollope narrator, is fine.

I’m also listening to The End of the Ancient Word by Ferdinand Lot, read by Charlton Griffin, a prolific narrator of works about the classic world. It’s interesting but admittedly something of a slog. Griffin’s rather fruity delivery doesn’t do anything to enliven a stolid text.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #3055
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Book 1 was completely unexpected and wonderful. For me, it went down hill from there and I think I stopped at #3.
I do get it, but come on, you don't want to find out
Spoiler:
what happened to Bender?

I just finished "Turning Exception" and am trying to pick my next book from my TBR (TBL? TBLT?) stack. It's hard for me to choose lately. I may try a short non-fiction of some kind as a palate cleanser.
I also still have two Audible credits I just can't find a good use for.

Last edited by ApK; 02-14-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #3056
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK
It's hard for me to choose lately. I may try a short non-fiction of some kind as a palate cleanser.
I also still have two Audible credits I just can't find a good use for.
I just started listening to the new narration by Nicholas Ralph of All Creatures Great and Small, the first of James Herriott's marvelous memoirs. The narrator plays James Herriott in the new Masterpiece series, and he's quite good as a narrator as well. If you're looking for a palate cleanser, I'd recommend them.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #3057
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Along with three other audiobooks, I'm currently reading Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, Book 1) by Jonathan L. Howard (audiobook read by Christopher Cazenove). I had no idea I'd be enjoying this one so much. The author has a vivid imagination, is a great story teller, and the narrator is perfectly matched to the book.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #3058
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Finished Virginia Woolf's Night and Day yesterday. Honestly, way too long and drawn out for me to follow, but Juliet Stevenson's narration made the experience worthwhile.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #3059
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently listening to McNally's Risk by Lawrence Sanders and narrated by Victor Bevine. Love this series - basically a cozy that features a playboy sleuth in Miami. This is a backlist series from the 90s. After Sanders died, Vincent Lardo continued the series for 7 books.

Edited to add: Finished McNally's Risk and have moved on to The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien and read by Andy Serkis. I have the one read by Rob Inglis, but couldn't resist getting this one at a recent sale.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-20-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #3060
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Currently listening to McNally's Risk by Lawrence Sanders and narrated by Victor Bevine. Love this series - basically a cozy that features a playboy sleuth in Miami. This is a backlist series from the 90s. After Sanders died, Vincent Lardo continued the series for 7 books.

Edited to add: Finished McNally's Risk and have moved on to The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien and read by Andy Serkis. I have the one read by Rob Inglis, but couldn't resist getting this one at a recent sale.
He's the actor who played Gollum in the movies. I would love to hear what you think of him. I've got the Inglis recording of both LOTR and The Hobbit.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations